Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

I think Beard is a solid upgrade from Archie, but I’m not sold on him as the top candidate especially if the money for him is what we think it has to be. He had two great runs followed by two .500 conference records and early exits. Reminds me too much of the Crean roller coaster.

Wouldn’t be terribly upset with him but I think there are better options especially for 6 million

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like Beard. His teams play hard and tough. And he is getting solid recruits to LUBBOCK. Imagine what he could do if he was actually at a school that stressed basketball. Plus he has a great personality for the big stage.  He has my vote. 

But I'll be positive with whoever is hired. Got to believe that better days are ahead for our beloved Hoosiers. 

Edited by Ghost of Rick Majerus

40 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d rather have Musselman

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

33 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I think Beard is a solid upgrade from Archie, but I’m not sold on him as the top candidate especially if the money for him is what we think it has to be. He had two great runs followed by two .500 conference records and early exits. Reminds me too much of the Crean roller coaster.

Wouldn’t be terribly upset with him but I think there are better options especially for 6 million

This is where I am. Beard is a solid coach and I think would keep IU competitive....but I don't see him as being elite, just a more competent Archie. Not worth what it would take to get him, IMO. Mussleman is more interesting to me. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

I prefer Beard to Musselman because I think what he does is more sustainable. But here’s the thing with Musselman, if you want him you better craft the mother of all exit buyouts. That dude is a complete mercenary. He’s this generation’s Larry Brown. He is going to leave at some point. 

Agreed

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

I prefer Beard to Musselman because I think what he does is more sustainable. But here’s the thing with Musselman, if you want him you better craft the mother of all exit buyouts. That dude is a complete mercenary. He’s this generation’s Larry Brown. He is going to leave at some point. 

Musselman does seem to rely heavily on transfers which scares me. And I agree, he doesn’t seem like a long term solution... but maybe you get 2-3 really good teams out of him before he leaves. I’m definitely partial to Beard.

If we really do have a "home run hire" in the works, this gentleman could be it.
Rabjohns put him at the top of his 'potential candidates' list early. I'm gonna guess that Rabby did so for a reason. Lander had an offer from Texas Tech. Texas Tech lost a few hours before news of something happening started to leak.
Possibility

Please be true. This is my top choice.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If we really do have a "home run hire" in the works, this gentleman could be it.

Rabjohns put him at the top of his 'potential candidates' list early. I'm gonna guess that Rabby did so for a reason. Lander had an offer from Texas Tech. Texas Tech lost a few hours before news of something happening started to leak.

Possibility

I just don't see it happening that fast. I guess Beard already being in Indy helps but I would think that it would be at least a week before he was named head coach since his team just played. 

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Possibility

I would be all in for this. 

tenor.gif&key=a48d9278ec2e9d5eefa7aa5d7d1574c83b0faa5f60a0b3b11ca34e38e596f16c

In your personal-just-guessing-for-fun-without-any-intel-so-people-don’t-take-this-take-out-of-control-and-spiral-it -into- a-he’s-coming-guess ........do you think it’s a coin flip aka 50/50 shot with beard?

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Possibility

I wouldn't put Beard as a homerun but maybe a triple

4 hours ago, cleeter said:

In your personal-just-guessing-for-fun-without-any-intel-so-people-don’t-take-this-take-out-of-control-and-spiral-it -into- a-he’s-coming-guess ........do you think it’s a coin flip aka 50/50 shot with beard?

I would call it a "personal-just-guessing-for-fun-without-any-intel-so-people-don’t-take-this-take-out-of-control-and-spiral-it -into- a-he’s-coming-guess."

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Possibility

Rabby said today that the chatter is Beard, Beilein, and Woodson (in no order). Said Matta seems to be out. Said it's just a rumor about IU calling Bennett. Also said Musselman and Fife are being discussed. He made it seem like Beard could leave for the right price. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I think by all accounts this is the most 'home run' hire we could get, and he is certainly a good coach. For whatever reason, it just doesn't excite me as much as it should. The stupid Stevens debacle probably played too much with my expectations... 

I'm in the same boat. I believe Beard is better than Archie....but not that excited about him. Anyway, if he comes and gets his teams to play as hard as I've seen at TTU that is 50% of the battle. Start making FT's and reduce TO's? Then I can get on board. 

Absolute minimum is play hard, smart, fundamental BB and don't be an easy out. That will win a lot of games.