Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

This. With all monetary factors considered it'd be about $25-30M for Beard's first year at TX. Also if he was so enamored with being TX next coach then why would he have ever agreed to the Anti-TX buyout?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It’d be more like 17-18. Still don’t think they’d do it. But it’s not anywhere near 30. 

It’d be more like 17-18. Still don’t think they’d do it. But it’s not anywhere near 30. 
That's strange because when I researched for all candidates I had an article that explicitly said $15M for TX schools and Big12 schools. Can't find that anymore and I believe it was a major publication that it came from. Huh....my mistake I guess.

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

That's strange because when I researched for all candidates I had an article that explicitly said $15M for TX schools and Big12 schools. Can't find that anymore and I believe it was a major publication that it came from. Huh....my mistake I guess.

I think I have seen the article you are referring to. It was from a Texas website a few years ago when Beard had just signed his extension and the author was adding together Shaka’s buyout for UT at the time (which was higher then than now) and Beard’s Big 12/Texas schools buyout. 

I posted Beard’s contract above. Texas would owe Tech 5 mil if it’s before March 31 this year, and they’d owe Shaka about 7. Plus a 6 mil salary for Chris to get him to move.

Edited by Nonymouse

2 hours ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Wonder if Beard will see RMK this week? Who knows what kind of emotions/thoughts that will bring him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Who knows but I doubt that even an emotional visit would make a Texan like Beard decide he wants to move to Bloomington IN. I have no idea but with all of his Texas ties I would guess he will stay put and take over at his alma mater once Smart is inevitably fired. I think we are dreaming if we think we are going to land him.

6 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Who knows but I doubt that even an emotional visit would make a Texan like Beard decide he wants to move to Bloomington IN. I have no idea but with all of his Texas ties I would guess he will stay put and take over at his alma mater once Smart is inevitably fired. I think we are dreaming if we think we are going to land him.

Depends on how much he values history, recruiting upside, etc....

If UT offered Tom Allen $10 mil per to coach football don’t you think he’d at least think about it?

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Depends on how much he values history, recruiting upside, etc....

If UT offered Tom Allen $10 mil per to coach football don’t you think he’d at least think about it?

Maybe,  we might find out for sure. Based on our last couple of searches I’m not sure how many coaches are valuing the history, recruiting upside, etc. I would like to think that’s the case but not so sure anymore.

I know Texas has money but they care way more about football than basketball. They just spent a lot of money getting rid of their football coach. I don’t think they will dip into that well for a secondary sport to them in the same year. Shaka has a $7.1 million buyout and Beards higher buyout for Texas, then his salary increase. Seems like a lot for a school that isn’t all in on basketball. 

2 hours ago, tortex28 said:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm ok with this. Beard is a solid coach and appears a definite upgrade over Archie....but of the same mold. His teams really defend, but without superior talent I don't see him excelling in the B1G and can't get excited about him.