Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Probably! But like @HoosierFan1994 said, there has to be a point where Dolson walks away and looks elsewhere. We can’t be into mid-June without a coach. Brad could still decide to stay at boston at that point and then we’d be super screwed. 

That’s my thing. It’s like a game of poker I guess? If Scott feels good about moving forward, go for it. But I think soon (I’d say this Next week) if you think the odds of him not coming is high, you gotta move on. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If not for COVID, this all could be resolved in late April. Now with that stupid play in crap it may go into June. 

And the worst part of it is, literally no one gives a **** about it. After baseball, the NBA is the most tone-deaf sports entity out there. The product stinks. I can't call half these guys basketball players anymore with how badly they play together in the half-court. This is a very random reference, but remember that movie Eddie with Whoopie Goldberg and Malik Sealy (RIP) playing Stacy Patton? That's half the league now. It is a top heavy pile of crap full of chuckers. Every time a team passes three times in the half-court take a shot. You'll be lucky to get four drinks in all season. 

(Queue the NBA guy on here with the "you must not watch the NBA because you don't know what you're talking about." I don't, and neither does anyone else because we're not watching. The product is bland and uninspiring.)

Been lurking for a while. Finally decided to jump in. If we’re willing to wait until the end of the NBA season for Stevens - why didn’t we retain Archie until the end of the season drew closer? I get that retaining Archie would restrict our ability to pursue other collegiate coaches, but if Stevens has been the goal from day 1 the timing seems odd.

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

And the worst part of it is, literally no one gives a **** about it. After baseball, the NBA is the most tone-deaf sports entity out there. The product stinks. I can't call half these guys basketball players anymore with how badly they play together in the half-court. This is a very random reference, but remember that movie Eddie with Whoopie Goldberg and Malik Sealy (RIP) playing Stacy Patton? That's half the league now. It is a top heavy pile of crap full of chuckers. Every time a team passes three times in the half-court take a shot. You'll be lucky to get four drinks in all season. 

(Queue the NBA guy on here with the "you must not watch the NBA because you don't know what you're talking about." I don't, and neither does anyone else because we're not watching. The product is bland and uninspiring.)

Give me NCAA over NBA anytime. 

1 minute ago, KnightsChair said:

Been lurking for a while. Finally decided to jump in. If we’re willing to wait until the end of the NBA season for Stevens - why didn’t we retain Archie until the end of the season drew closer? I get that retaining Archie would restrict our ability to pursue other collegiate coaches, but if Stevens has been the goal from day 1 the timing seems odd.

Exactly this!

Archie allegedly caught wind that he was being canned, which sped up the timeline in terms of his FULLY JUSTIFIED termination

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Rookie33 said:

Archie allegedly caught wind that he was being canned, which sped up the timeline in terms of his FULLY JUSTIFIED termination

Oh yeah, his termination was fully justified. If it was just the losing, I would have wanted him to be given another year or two to turn it around. But he lost that team this year. A coach can’t recover from that.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Probably! But like @HoosierFan1994 said, there has to be a point where Dolson walks away and looks elsewhere. We can’t be into mid-June without a coach. Brad could still decide to stay at boston at that point and then we’d be super screwed. 

I agree 100%. At a certain point, Scott needs to shut the Brad door. 

You can't just sit around and wait for him forever and if everything we've heard about Brad and the man he is is accurate, I don't think he'd leave us waiting for too long. He'd flat out tell Scott to move on. 

There’s no doubt canning Archie was the right move. I feel like we may have had less players in the transfer portal if we retained Archie until closer to the end of the NBA season. This is assuming Stevens is the guy and has been from day 1 and that Stevens sticks out the rest of the season with the Celtics.

2 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

Yea, wasn’t it said somewhere that Archie actually cleaned out his office the Thursday night or Friday before it went public he was fired?

To be fair, you did not need to be Nostradamus to read the writing on the wall. He was either gone now, or gone after a lame duck year of getting booed out of SSAH every night. It had to be done, and was as you said fully justified. Even if we are trash next year, new coach will get some leeway with the fans. ESPN would have purchased as many IU games as they could next season if Archie stayed just crap on IU fans.

I’ve been watching the games... just to sum it up, things got quiet after last Friday from those in the know. It’s possible that was to a) give Stevens time to think or b) distract everyone because a deal was in place or c) we aren’t sure what’s in the Celtics contract so he may have to wait 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I’ve been watching the games... just to sum it up, things got quiet after last Friday from those in the know. It’s possible that was to a) give Stevens time to think or b) distract everyone because a deal was in place or c) we aren’t sure what’s in the Celtics contract so he may have to wait 

If we are planning to wait, it sure seems like we’re putting all of our eggs in one basket. In Dolson we trust.