Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

Celtics hits just keep on coming.  Both they and the Lakers are said to be pursuing Andre Drummond after he was bought out by Cleveland, but it is said he's likely signing with the Lakers.

And newly acquired Evan Fournier has to enter covid protocol.  No word on the reason why or how long.

Call me crazy but I’d rather hire Oats, Drew, or Musselman than wait around a few months on Brad. If Brad wants to be the IU coach then take the job and start hitting up the transfer market. Boston isn’t winning the championship this year. They’re in jeopardy of not even making the playoffs.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Celtics hits just keep on coming.  Both they and the Lakers are said to be pursuing Andre Drummond after he was bought out by Cleveland, but it is said he's likely signing with the Lakers.

And newly acquired Evan Fournier has to enter covid protocol.  No word on the reason why or how long.

Pretty sure he is out indefinitely, and Drummond is finalizing a Deal with the Lakers per Wojo

4 minutes ago, goonaha said:

That's my sticking point. If he wasn't willing to quit last week, what is going to change in the next two months until the Celtics are out of the playoffs. There's simply no way we keep the position open that long.

I can see “buying time” in case he wants to think about it or giving the Celtics time to find a replacement but waiting until June would cause problems for Boston and IU. IF this job stays open much longer (say mid April) talk will start and Indiana players and recruits would have no clue what is going on. Those on the Celtics would wonder if he’s leaving them. If Brad comes to IU, he’s going to have to step down. Don’t get me wrong, I’d wait til June if it’s him. Just doesn’t make sense. 

There is always a lot of legal mumbo jumbo in these contracts, it sounded like to me there was something in is Celtics contract that they are hanging over his head until they are ready to let him go. Also I’m sure he doesn’t want to quit on the team or organization mid season.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Call me crazy but I’d rather hire Oats, Drew, or Musselman than wait around a few months on Brad. If Brad wants to be the IU coach then take the job and start hitting up the transfer market. Boston isn’t winning the championship this year. They’re in jeopardy of not even making the playoffs.

IF (it seems there is speculation a deal has been reached) he is still thinking about it, there has to be a time Scott moves on. He can’t kill the program waiting for our top guy. He either wants it or not. I get taking a few weeks. Not two months.   

Oh I would too. But if you know for certain that Brad is leaving at the end of the season, then well, you’re crazy not to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You're crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Oh I would too. But if you know for certain that Brad is leaving at the end of the season, then well, you’re crazy not to wait.

IU would have to have something definite though, a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Sounds like a lot of over confidence on the IU side.

1 minute ago, Bobman1 said:

This right here. Let's not forget, whether it was announced tomorrow or in June, this would be the biggest NBA/NCAA news bomb since Lebron went to the Lakers. This would run head line across all sports talk for a week or more. That said I don't the wait would hurt us from a player standpoint as much as some may think. The exposure alone would be worth an incalculable amount for both recruiting and national exposure for the program. 

7 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

So you think the "masshole" presser was a smokescreen?

I didn’t think so at first but after comparing notes with other people I trust it very well could have. Or Boston talked him out of it. I have no idea 

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I know that Scott and Isiah flew to Boston the Tuesday or Wednesday before the deal was said to be agreed upon. They flew there to present our offer.

Just when I’m about to give up on this old Chris pulls me back in...this has been a whirlwind experience. 

I didn’t think so at first but after comparing notes with other people I trust it very well could have. Or Boston talked him out of it. I have no idea 

I’m definitely choosing to believe the former because it’s what I want to happen lol. But the two things I keep coming back to: 1. How “quiet” it got after and 2. Did anyone ever answer if it would have to be reported that Boston gave him a raise?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Well if there were 5 or 6 meetings and it seemed they had agreement after talking for such a lengthy amount of time going back to Feb 15 and everyone left the meeting happy the day of presser, then it wouldn’t seem he would just change his mind that quickly based on anything Boston said to him. 

Edited by IUguy77

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Wasn’t that Masshole comment made to some host on WEEI? 

3 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

You're crazy. 

Probably! But like @HoosierFan1994 said, there has to be a point where Dolson walks away and looks elsewhere. We can’t be into mid-June without a coach. Brad could still decide to stay at boston at that point and then we’d be super screwed.