Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

2 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I'm not saying Brad's coming to IU, but if he was thinking about it, he wouldn't answer the media's questions about it by saying, "we're in negotiations, and I'm considering it.  I might actually coach here in Boston another 3 weeks and then leave."  You understand that, right?

Well you certainly don’t go into a monologue about how much you love being a Bostonian. If they were chatting, it’d be super super easy to go the Beard route and say I’m happy and don’t talk about other jobs. 

6 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

5 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I'm not saying Brad's coming to IU, but if he was thinking about it, he wouldn't answer the media's questions about it by saying, "we're in negotiations, and I'm considering it.  I might actually coach here in Boston another 3 weeks and then leave."  You understand that, right?

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Thanks Jeff 

Do the mods and everyone else a favor and just ignore.

Just now, Nonymouse said:

Well you certainly don’t go into a monologue about how much you love being a Bostonian. If they were chatting, it’d be super super easy to go the Beard route and say I’m happy and don’t talk about other jobs. 

Sure.  He could have handled it the way Beard did.  He could have handled it the way Nick Saban did (which is closer to what he actually did).  At the end of the day, he's Brad Stevens, and he handled it the way Brad Stevens did.  Not everybody's the same.  Not everybody handles things the same way you would.  Not everybody has the same motivations you would.  So while I think landing Stevens is a long shot, what he says to the media is not a definitive answer until Indiana hires a coach and it's not him.

10 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Sure.  He could have handled it the way Beard did.  He could have handled it the way Nick Saban did (which is closer to what he actually did).  At the end of the day, he's Brad Stevens, and he handled it the way Brad Stevens did.  Not everybody's the same.  Not everybody handles things the same way you would.  Not everybody has the same motivations you would.  So while I think landing Stevens is a long shot, what he says to the media is not a definitive answer until Indiana hires a coach and it's not him.

Brad repeatedly refused to talk about jobs when he was a rumored candidate while at Butler. While there, he had talked to Tennessee, Illinois, UCLA, and the Suns (and probably others). His MO was always always always “I don’t talk about other jobs.” For him to deny it publicly in this way is as strong of a denial as he’s ever given about anything. Heck, he even poked fun at the notion this week when he said “remember last week when I was going to Indiana?”  

I know none of you care about my source on this front because I’m new and it isn’t what you want to hear, so I’m not going to keep going there. But the above info is all public and merely connecting logical dots. 

Edited by Nonymouse

2 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Brad repeatedly refused to talk about jobs when he was a rumored candidate while at Butler. While at Butler, he had talked to Tennessee, Illinois, UCLA, and the Suns (and probably others). His MO was always always always “I don’t talk about other jobs.” For him to deny it publicly in this way is as strong of a denial as he’s ever given about anything. Heck, even poked fun at the notion this week when he said “remember last week when I was going to Indiana?”  

I know none of you care about my source on this front because I’m new and it isn’t what you want to hear, so I’m not going to keep going there. But the above info is all public and merely connecting logical dots. 

Did you ever pm Yeagley like he offered? That would go a long way for helping your sources credibility around here. 

4 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Brad repeatedly refused to talk about jobs when he was a rumored candidate while at Butler. While there, he had talked to Tennessee, Illinois, UCLA, and the Suns (and probably others).

"probably others" makes me think you don't actually know this. 

11 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

Is there a way to block or ignore people on this site? Been looking but haven’t seen an option. 

hover over that user's name and the Ignore option comes up

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

"probably others" makes me think you don't actually know this. 

It would take you two minutes on google to find him connected to the jobs I just mentioned. As I said in the post - this was public. I simply don’t know if there were others. I had no connection prior to 2013, when he was fielding interest while at Butler. 

8 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Did you ever pm Yeagley like he offered? That would go a long way for helping your sources credibility around here. 

I know. But I can’t out myself. 

26 minutes ago, Nonymouse said:

Where was the part where Saban said he loved living in Miami? Had Saban lived there 8 years? Had saban been to multiple AFC title games? Had Saban told everyone he’d never go back to college basketball?

This comparison is silly. 

More or less at similar junctures in their career. Both are/were not going anywhere with their current team thanks to front office failures. So the next move, and there will be a next move, is gonna come and either be another pro spot or college. Saban was convinced to come back to college even though he never thought he would and his goal was to win the SB. Hell, Saban accomplished a lot more than Stevens in his first stint in the college game, had nothing to prove , and still came back.  

I’m not one that thinks Stevens is coming, but the parallel with Saban is there beyond the denials.

Who knows what Stevens wants and if it’s even the same as he wanted a year ago, 8 years ago or a month ago. He hasn’t won a championship at any level. Doesn’t look like he will with the Celtics. And while he’s capable enough at a coach, in the NBA you realistically have to have a top 2 or 3 roster to do so and the coach has little control over that. I wouldn’t rule out a return to college for him eventually even if he doesn’t want to today. 

53 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I would agree with this. A bird in hand and all that. I don't think you could wait until May/June unless you have some kind of guarantee.

Agree, and by guarantee I'd mean signed and legally binding.  At one time a person's word may have been their "bond" but when things happen like with Josh McDaniels you can't take that risk.  Heck, the colts had already begun hiring coordinators at his suggestion before he reneged on his word.