Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

4 minutes ago, P92 said:

This is based primarily on chris007 intel that said expect heavy denials. His intel is generally accurate, but the denial was so heavy even he gave up on Brad last Friday. But evidently all sources have gone dark since then, so we on the Brad train are wondering if maybe there’s a chance the last intel was right after all. Combine that with some other stuff posted about tomorrow and some of us are definitely in the “I want to believe “ camp like agent Moulder on x files. At any rate, SD is playing it closer to the vest than the cigarette smoking man.

That was 0708

I still remain skeptical about this. But saying it's true, can anyone come up with a convincing reason of why Brad needs to wait? I get if he's going to coach it out to the end of the season, but why would this week vs. last week vs. next week possibly make any difference? I understand that getting out of his current contract could take some time, but that wouldn't really explain the extreme denial he gave last week, or the current speculation that the 27th or 5th (or whatever) has been the date for weeks. If I could hear a plausible explanation beyond just "contracts...", I'd be more inclined to reboard the Brad Train.

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

I still remain skeptical about this. But saying it's true, can anyone come up with a convincing reason of why Brad needs to wait? I get if he's going to coach it out to the end of the season, but why would this week vs. last week vs. next week possibly make any difference? I understand that getting out of his current contract could take some time, but that wouldn't really explain the extreme denial he gave last week, or the current speculation that the 27th or 5th (or whatever) has been the date for weeks. If I could hear a plausible explanation beyond just "contracts...", I'd be more inclined to reboard the Brad Train.

the extreme denial looked very uncomfortable to me, especially from a ninth year coach of a team that has lost 6 out of the last 7 and is looking at barely making the playoffs if at all....maybe its just me though, I never believe anybody who say they root for the patriots

9 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I’ll take a stab at it. 
1. In general, college hoops hires happen anywhere between the end of a team’s season and shortly after the final 4. So there’s not tons of urgency yet.

2. Maybe he offered to give Boston some time to A) get past the trade deadline to maintain stability, B) put a succession plan in place, C) something similar/unknown.

3. By all accounts the Boston front office likes him TONS. So they might like him to coach as long as they can have him even knowing he’s moving on.

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’ll take a stab at it. 
1. In general, college hoops hires happen anywhere between the end of a team’s season and shortly after the final 4. So there’s not tons of urgency yet.

2. Maybe he offered to give Boston some time to A) get past the trade deadline to maintain stability, B) put a succession plan in place, C) something similar/unknown.

3. By all accounts the Boston front office likes him TONS. So they might like him to coach as long as they can have him even knowing he’s moving on.

Thanks. That's certainly the most plausible scenario I've heard. I still wonder how it's remained under wraps from the NBA press, though...

16 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Could be that Ainge wanted him til the trade deadline for a couple if reasons.

1. It gives the impression to other teams that there is no discord, no disfunction, no reason to think you can get one over on us. Business as usual, we are trying to improve. They were absolutely not looking to tank as some have suggested, rather they were very obviously trying to get better. You approach that in a strong unified way. Ainge has a history of playing hardball and giving another team leverage just isn't his thing, thus, your coach of 8 years is fully on board.

2. It's an obvious, if meaningless, stopping point in the season. "Stay til the deadline" 

10 minutes ago, sixseis said:

Could be that Ainge wanted him til the trade deadline for a couple if reasons.

1. It gives the impression to other teams that there is no discord, no disfunction, no reason to think you can get one over on us. Business as usual, we are trying to improve. They were absolutely not looking to tank as some have suggested, rather they were very obviously trying to get better. You approach that in a strong unified way. Ainge has a history of playing hardball and giving another team leverage just isn't his thing, thus, your coach of 8 years is fully on board.

2. It's an obvious, if meaningless, stopping point in the season. "Stay til the deadline" 

Also NBA players do get extra money for being in the playoffs, not a ton compared to their annual earnings, but also not insignificant, especially to younger/lower paid players. So Stevens leaving and causing disruption would have actual tangible effects.

Edited by PB1230

Two things that give me hope there’s still more than smoke:

1. If the “masshole” presser last week was coupled with an outright “no,” or “don’t call anymore,” I think our insiders would know.

2. Go re-read the actual comments. He says says he’s not considering the job, a verb and phrasing you could later work around if you took said job. The rest of his comments don’t add much: Indiana is home, IU is special, grateful to Celtics/Danny Ainge/Wyc Grousbeck/Steve Pagliuca, love working here etc.

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat but the denial is less “I’m not leaving” than “kill the story.” And if he meant “I’m not leaving” he would’ve told Dolson to scram, which our insiders would’ve heard by now.

9 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Two things that give me hope there’s still more than smoke:

1. If the “masshole” presser last week was coupled with an outright “no,” or “don’t call anymore,” I think our insiders would know.

2. Go re-read the actual comments. He says says he’s not considering the job, a verb and phrasing you could later work around if you took said job. The rest of his comments don’t add much: Indiana is home, IU is special, grateful to Celtics/Danny Ainge/Wyc Grousbeck/Steve Pagliuca, love working here etc.

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat but the denial is less “I’m not leaving” than “kill the story.” And if he meant “I’m not leaving” he would’ve told Dolson to scram, which our insiders would’ve heard by now.

He might be awkward as hell but he isn’t dumb. Why would he tell anyone to scram if they keep coming back with more money each time?

if nothing else, it reminds the Celtics that he is still a hot commodity worth keeping and maybe giving a raise to.

and maybe, IF things fall off a cliff in Boston and the money is stupid, he has a nice soft landing 

2 hours ago, Herotime said:

I kind of read Chronic as hinting at beard to IU vs Beard to TX. I’d prefer BS. Like other posters, tho not sure what BS interest in TX would be tho.

If it was Beard...you would think it would be announced ASAP after he lost in the tourney in order to slow down the exit stage left through the portal hole - and to pick up some players that r out there. Lil Richard to NM was announced almost before he got fired at Minny, Shaka was announced before formally fired at UT

1 minute ago, Deserthoozier said:

If it was Beard...you would think it would be announced ASAP after he lost in the tourney in order to slow down the exit stage left through the portal hole - and to pick up some players that r out there. Lil Richard to NM was announced almost before he got fired at Minny, Shaka was announced before formally fired at UT

Exactly, it's not Beard. Unless it's fine tuning details, X him off. We weren't after him or it was a hard no. 

7 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

From IU’s perspective I agree 100%.