Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I guess I really just don't understand as someone who loves the college game way more than the NBA.. To me, coaches have a bigger impact in college and NBA is more about star power. 

True, but the draw must be strong. Same in football. TONS of guys have left great college situations to try the NFL. Very few succeed. Any bets on if Urban Meyer kill it in J'ville? 

They are competitive people and see it as the pinnacle of the art maybe? Not sure, I don't watch NBA or NFL anymore and never held them in high regard.  

I think Stevens is dumb and will be gone from the Celtics within 2 years, but he didn't ask my thoughts on the matter. 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Maybe it's this.. but a quick look at who's been winning gold medals in the Olympics shows says otherwise.. 

How so?  The US has won 6 of the last 7 Olympics, and the other competitive nations have rosters full of NBA players.

The talk of former players pushing Woodson is crap according to DD. He did say that Woodson has some apartment deals with the Cooks or something along those lines in Bloomington. It could be the Cook family that’s pushing the Woodson’s name around hoping to get IU to jump on board.

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The talk of former players pushing Woodson is crap according to DD. He did say that Woodson has some apartment deals with the Cooks or something along those lines in Bloomington. It could be the Cook family that’s pushing the Woodson’s name around hoping to get IU to jump on board.

DD seems to advocate for a former IU guy to be the coach but his list of who that is seems to basically be Alford, perhaps Lewis but he seems to diss others

Just now, 8bucks said:

DD seems to advocate for a former IU guy to be the coach but his list of who that is seems to basically be Alford, perhaps Lewis but he seems to diss others

Does he think Alford would give him a job or something? lol 

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I dont think that is true.  He has spoken highly of Smart, Chaney, Woodson and Fife.  Alford is obviously his first choice, but I think he would be happy with any former player. 

16 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Yeah, Alford seems to be the one he likes the most. But on one of his shows, I believe he mentioned about Alford's ego, and if Alford drops his ego a bit, he's got a great chance to succeed because of his ability to 'connect' to Indiana high schools, fans, and the former players. All in all, after RMK, all non-IU guys failed and failed to connect to all stakeholders of Indiana basketball (not just IU men's basketball). DD believes it takes one of us who's got deep understanding of the state and IU basketball. It made sense to me. 

1 minute ago, akumanina said:

Yeah, Alford seems to be the one he likes the most. But on one of his shows, I believe he mentioned about Alford's ego, and if Alford drops his ego a bit, he's got a great chance to succeed because of his ability to 'connect' to Indiana high schools, fans, and the former players. All in all, after RMK, all non-IU guys failed and failed to connect to all stakeholders of Indiana basketball (not just IU men's basketball). DD believes it takes one of us who's got deep understanding of the state and IU basketball. It made sense to me. 

DD is making it way more complicated than it needs to be. This isn't calculus or attaining some kind of enlightenment. 

Win freaking games and the rest will follow very smoothly and quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

DD is making it way more complicated than it needs to be. This isn't calculus or attaining some kind of enlightenment. 

Crean won some games for a few years and the rest did not follow smoothly and quickly.

8 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

Crean won some games for a few years and the rest did not follow smoothly and quickly.

Crean missed the tourney 50% of the time. You think that’s acceptable for a tourney that takes 68 teams and routinely 6-9 from the conference we are in?

2 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

Crean missed the tourney 50% of the time. You think that’s acceptable for a tourney that takes 68 teams and routinely 6-9 from the conference we are in?

You are basically arguing my point.

Crean had two good seasons in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 and it did not just smoothly snowball into perpetual winning and eventually he could not even recruit Indiana. 

3 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

Crean had two good seasons in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 and it did not just smoothly snowball into perpetual winning and eventually he could not even recruit Indiana. 

My fault. I took it as you defending Crean. Lol

4 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

And I think you missed my point. If Crean would have continued winning no one woulda cared about the clogged toilets and odd personality or how much Indiana HS coaches liked him. Winning cures everything. He didn't keep winning.....and now he's in Athens, GA. 

1 minute ago, IUguy77 said:

My fault. I took it as you defending Crean. Lol

No problem. I was not arguing for Crean! 

I was saying that sustaining winning is a continual effort that will require establishing long-term functioning relationship with the state of Indiana (in particular the high school and AAU coaches).

Winning never becomes "smooth and easy" - just ask Roy or Coach K.

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

And I think you missed my point. If Crean would have continued winning no one woulda cared about the clogged toilets and odd personality or how much Indiana HS coaches liked him. Winning cures everything. He didn't keep winning.....and now he's in Athens, GA. 

Right, but sustaining winning is complex. If we were to try and model it mathematically, it would be WAY more complex than the calculus sequence.

Calculus was developed to model some of the "easiest" - that is most natural - things to model mathematically.

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yes winning is first and foremost, but for a sustained success at IU, it may take more than winning. DD said Crean, after showing some success, got very arrogant to Indiana high school coaches and AAU coaches. Or maybe like you said, DD's making things too complicated. What we need is a coach who can coach and has a well-rounded personality. 

Just now, Evariste Galois said:

Right, but sustaining winning is complex. If we were to try and model it mathematically, it would be WAY more complex than the calculus sequence.

Calculus was developed to model some of the "easiest" - that is most natural - things to model mathematically.

Sure " how to win" is another story. I just think Dakich making it sound like we need some kind of Indiana Basketball Whisperer as coach is total  BS (not Brad Stevens)  Wisconsin has installed a winning culture across 3 coaches now, and is doing a lot of the same things Indiana used to do. They aren't using 4-5 star guys or gimmicky schemes. A lot of their players look like their parents are related, but they have blown our doors off for the last 20yrs with the basics....what we used to do. 

I would LOVE to rewind the 70's & 80's and have IU pull up their socks, wear tight shorts and motion-offense the crap out of all these jerk-offs.....but Knight failed to produce a viable coaching tree. Now we need to get the best guy around- even if he's never been to Indiana- and start a new tradition of winning , whatever that looks like.