Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

3 hours ago, Five Prime said:

You seem to speak in absolutes.  I'm not saying you're wrong but why should I believe you?

Perfectly reasonable not to believe me. But I advise everyone to direct their attention to the Thad thread. That’s the best case scenario. And it’s in play. 

15 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I was under the impression that they’re throwing a smokescreen so that we can reup our pursuit of Brad Stevens.   

That’s what I think, I don’t care if you tell me to give up, all options are still open until Dolson has picked up his mic in the future press conference 

I don't think there's any smoke screen. Stevens made himself crystal clear and then some more. I was baffled when he said he made it clear in Tuesday's conference; well Brad, you didn't. He dodged the key word "NO" and said all the fancy words. My guess is after the Tuesday interview, something happened between him and the Celtics, and he came out on Friday and burnt the bridges with confidence. 

I have also heard Matta may be in play. Weird theory though. Could they hire Matta to transition the program until the NBA season is over? Crazy thought, but I find it extremely hard to believe their isn't more info being shared after the Stevens presser relating to anyone other than Woodson or Matta. If IU was all in, as they were according to many,  and boosters basically said make it happen and they fired Archie without a plan it would be suicide for Dolson. Something seems very odd and off. I never bought the Donovan talk, but Stevens is very intelligent and I think Dolson is as well. Sometimes common sense can tell us a lot and there is way more going on than any person on this board even knows. People leak info to create diversions all the time, but this all feels way to damn scripted and sequenced. 

Edited by beaver56

1 minute ago, beaver56 said:

I have also heard Matta may be in play. Weird theory though. Could they hire Matta to transition the program until the NBA season is over? Crazy thought, but I find it extremely hard to believe their isn't more info being shared after the Stevens presser relating to anyone other than Woodson or Matta. If IU was all in, as they were according to many,  and boosters basically said make it happen and they fired Archie without a plan it would be suicide for Dolson. Something seems very odd and off. I never bought the Donovan talk, but Stevens is very intelligent and I think Dolson is as well. Sometimes common sense can tell us a lot and there is way more going on than any person on this board even knows. 

No, they could not hire Matta to transition the program until the NBA season is over. Stevens is not coming. If he wanted to, he could've said yes over the weekend. He did not. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Brad isn’t coming. Thad Matta might though, and that should make Hoosier fans very happy. 

Never said he was,  I just thinking there is some major league **** tossing going around. 

Which is why I think Beard is the guy. He’s the most logical choice outside of Stevens and there has been too little smoke surrounding his name. 

Kind of like when your toddlers are silent for 5 minutes in the other room you know something momentous is happening.
Or they've fallen asleep....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

I think still some of us want to give Stevens the benefit of the doubt and to want to trust his former 'image' a bit too much. If he didn't want this job from the beginning, all he needed to say on Tuesday was "No I don't want the Indiana job. I'm not going to Indiana. Period." But he didn't for whatever reason, he dodged and gave a vague answer. Then came out on Friday basically saying "Didn't I tell you I don't want Indiana? Yeah I'm from Indiana, so I got some good memories from childhood , but I'm not a kid any more. I'm a grown man who loves Boston and Massachusetts. So piss off." It can't get any clearer than that. 

What I'm pissed off about is as a result (even if Stevens didn't mean it) IU and its fans became a pathetic bunch and a laughing stock. And for that, I don't think I'm going to root for this guy any more. 

Any chance Woodson could be hired with understanding that Stevens will come after the Celtics season is over. Brad only mentioned finishing this year with the Celtics in the press conference Friday.

“you know, we're going through a tough season. And, you know, I think that it's not my job to not go through it. It's not my job to not make sure that I'm doing everything I can to help find a better version of ourselves this year”.

Maybe all of this is just to allow him to finish the season without any distractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insert Thad Matta instead of Woodson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, akumanina said:

I think still some of us want to give Stevens the benefit of the doubt and to want to trust his former 'image' a bit too much. If he didn't want this job from the beginning, all he needed to say on Tuesday was "No I don't want the Indiana job. I'm not going to Indiana. Period." But he didn't for whatever reason, he dodged and gave a vague answer. Then came out on Friday basically saying "Didn't I tell you I don't want Indiana? Yeah I'm from Indiana, so I got some good memories from childhood , but I'm not a kid any more. I'm a grown man who loves Boston and Massachusetts. So piss off." It can't get any clearer than that. 

What I'm pissed off about is as a result (even if Stevens didn't mean it) IU and its fans became a pathetic bunch and a laughing stock. And for that, I don't think I'm going to root for this guy any more. 

The answer was only vague because fans wanted to believe that it was vague. That same day of his ‘vague’ answer he went on a Boston radio show and said no, he wasn’t leaving for the IU job. We dismissed it as just a radio show answer. 

49 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Brad isn’t coming. Thad Matta might though, and that should make Hoosier fans very happy. 

It’s hard for me to get excited about a guy who hasn’t coached or recruited in 4 years. Are we getting the elite Matta or the average Matta who OSU got rid of

No smokescreen.  That’s absurd.

All “Stevens to IU” buzz was was completely fabricated.

Interest was not mutual.  

No contract was offered.

Terms of Stevens’ contract were not changed/renegotiated.

Take what Coach Stevens has said publicly at face value. 

This will go into April...

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It’s hard for me to get excited about a guy who hasn’t coached or recruited in 4 years. Are we getting the elite Matta or the average Matta who OSU got rid of

That elite Matta was in 2008. 

Its 2021. Basketball has changed.