Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

It's still the round of 64. Most of the good coaches are busy with that. I just don't get all the hand wringing at this point.

Right, very well could be a coach currently in the tourney. If so there won’t be any leaks it’ll just have to play out. And hey the longer it goes and some of the coaches we think are possibles are still in the tourney the better 

9 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

In regular human world yes billionaire world not sure. Case in point— I’m waiting to see how the Deshaun Watson case turns out in Texas. The lead lawyer against Watson is a neighbor to the houstan Texans . U wouldn’t believe the level of pettiness I encounter on a daily basis. Again I don’t take chances, I finish the job and keep it straight . Of course I can retire now but again I don’t take chances. 

Billionaires aren’t going to be “petty” to Brad Stevens because Brad didn’t do anything for them to be petty to him about. IU has three billionaire donors. Cuban is one of them. Cuban isn’t going to refuse to hire Brad in the future and instead hire an inferior coach because Brad turned down a job at the school Cuban graduated from 40 years ago. You think Cuban is going to hold a grudge against Brad for not taking a clear demotion? Because that’s what it would be. Going from head coach of the Boston Celtics to head coach of Indiana basketball is a massive downgrade, no matter how much we don’t want to think so. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Billionaires aren’t going to be “petty” to Brad Stevens because Brad didn’t do anything for them to be petty to him about. IU has three billionaire donors. Cuban is one of them. Cuban isn’t going to refuse to hire Brad in the future and instead hire an inferior coach because Brad turned down a job at the school Cuban graduated from 40 years ago. You think Cuban is going to hold a grudge against Brad for not taking a clear demotion? Because that’s what it would be. Going from head coach of the Boston Celtics to head coach of Indiana basketball is a massive downgrade, no matter how much we don’t want to think so. 

IF and only if he came in and walked out in good faith.   This is why I’m worried for our AD also. If he approached these people in bad faith, I wouldn’t want to be him.  In many ways I think I’m the younger version of Dolson, because I get the impression that he has hung around these billionaires  for a bit to get them on board for that buyout. You might think Mark Cuban is some magnanimous person , but in his private life he might be entirely different. 

19 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

People always say college is a downgrade to the NBA but I disagree.  Of course almost all of the best basketball players in the world play in the NBA. But coaches?  Tyrone Lue won an NBA title.  Quinn Snyder was an epic failure as the Mizzou coach but is now considered one of the best coaches in the league.  Guys like Woodson, Zeke, Smart, Whitman, Frank, etc probably couldn't even get an interview from IU.

You don't think guys like Coach K, Pitino, Roy, Bennett, Beilein, Wright, etc would coach circles around most NBA head coaches?

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

People always say college is a downgrade to the NBA but I disagree.  Of course almost all of the best basketball players in the world play in the NBA. But coaches?  Tyrone Lue won an NBA title.  Quinn Snyder was an epic failure as the Mizzou coach but is now considered one of the best coaches in the league.  Guys like Woodson, Zeke, Smart, Whitman, Frank, etc probably couldn't even get an interview from IU.

You don't think guys like Coach K, Pitino, Roy, Bennett, Beilein, Wright, etc would coach circles around most NBA head coaches?

It’s not apples to apples

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Maybe you are correct.......

im not serious either

Not to poke or impose, but you gave a heads up for a heavy denial. Then that denial took place and your mood change. Was the nature of the denial just much different than you were told would happen? You don't have to answer. 

11 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

IF and only if he came in and walked out in good faith.   This is why I’m worried for our AD also. If he approached these people in bad faith, I wouldn’t want to be him.  In many ways I think I’m the younger version of Dolson, because I get the impression that he has hung around these billionaires  for a bit to get them on board for that buyout. You might think Mark Cuban is some magnanimous person , but in his private life he might be entirely different. 

When you’re one of the best in the world at your profession; you worry a lot less about petty grievances. If at some hypothetical date Brad gets fired by Boston and Cuban refuses to hire him because of a grudge, there are 28 other nba franchises. There certainly aren’t 28 coaches better than him in the NBA. 

We have zero information to suggest that Brad acted in bad faith. People believe he used us for a raise despite no raise being reported. Getting rejected sucks. It’s easier to make up reasons for getting rejected than it is to look in the mirror and admit that they just weren’t interested. But that’s exactly what happened here. Brad didn’t want to be the IU men’s basketball coach. Who cares. Someone out there will want the job. Someone out there is ready to give the job everything he has. Let’s go find that guy. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

im not serious either

Maybe you already answered this but how did things go from you saying be ready for more denials to within minutes Brad denies interest and then it’s over. I know it cam from your source but that part confused me a bit.

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Maybe you already answered this but how did things go from you saying be ready for more denials to within minutes Brad denies interest and then it’s over. I know it cam from your source but that part confused me a bit.

I’m not 0708 but I’d guess the denial was paired with a “deal’s off” to IU

10 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

im not serious either

Of course, if you were working with them you'd deny it like you do here. The plot thickens.

jk

11 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

Not to poke or impose, but you gave a heads up for a heavy denial. Then that denial took place and your mood change. Was the nature of the denial just much different than you were told would happen? You don't have to answer. 

I literally just asked the same thing.