Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

New member, first time poster. I'm not even an IU fan but I've just found this Stevens saga and this thread over the past week fascinating. I've been rooting for you guys to get him. Just an incredibly great story for CBB imo and for a fan base that needs and deserves it. I'm trying to think of parallels. Roy Williams?  
I still don't think that the Stevens saga is 100% over. There have been credible sources saying that there has been dialogue behind the scenes for a bit and that the quotes from BS yesterday were kind of stunning. I even received inside info off of this board the other day that backed it all up. So you can definitely in the least say that he is interested in the IU job. IMO he wants to focus on his task at hand and is sick of the noise distracting him. That task is in a bit of a mess right now. IMO his words from yesterday were out of frustration from the IU noise and the team being in a major rut (12-16 in last 28 games). He likes his job, his players, and his family situation in Boston. So it's a bit unrealistic imo to expect him to quit during the season when they're struggling but still have hopes in the playoffs, especially as COMPETITIVE as he is. I don't believe it's a $ thing either. There might be contract technicalities that need ironed out but one side offers significantly more long term security than the other. 
There were similar comments from Brian Kelly when he was at Cincinnati during an unbeaten season and ND rumors were flying. He essentially said that he's not leaving Cincinnati, he loves it here, great place to raise a family, loves the local food, yada yada...With Nick Saban he was genuinely torn between building the Dolphins and going back to college where he felt deep down he was a better fit and even told his wife that he was staying in Miami before coming home from the office and changing his mind again after sitting down that night with his wife and the Bama AD. 
So IMO, and I'm just a nobody, everyone needs to chill this weekend and breathe, as hard as it is. And Dolson should maybe give BS some space, focus on backup candidates, but not give up on him because it would be worth sacrificing recruiting and transfers for one season in order to get the right guy. 

Curious who you root for if I may ask?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Why? Everything that has been "heard" has been bullSh1t. It's obvious Dolson runs a tight lipped ship. It would be very unprofessional to leak talks with a current tournament coach.

As for Stevens, not going to hate on the guy, but  his pressers leading on IU fans and then his unnecessary comments yesterday are a bit disappointing.
Did he lead us on or did IU fans read into what he said what they wanted to hear? IMO, it is the latter. It is similar to when a politician says something. The side that opposes him reads into what he says very different than those who support him.

Just my opinion. This all seems to be leading to Alford being hired.  Beard/ Wight & Bennet are probably more unrealistic than BS.  Musselman would be an interesting choice; however, with a few successful seasons in the limelight, I could see him wanting to go back to the nba.
I hope the hell not. I'll still cheer for and support the Hoosiers, but I won't like it just like Josh didn't like the CAM hire.

2 hours ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

I could see Stevens wanting a absurd buyout, wonder if he mixed stuff in his “info”

There are multiple buyouts.

There's one if the school fires the coach without cause. Higher is in favor of the coach.

There's one (or more if they have different amounts for different scenarios) if the coach leaves. Higher is in favor of the school. This is the one that it appears the previous post is saying Dolson wants to be $50 million.

This....a thousand times this. All of the posts that we were given by people with information were not owed to you, me, or anybody else. They didn't have to share any info they were given and after the reaction from some of you, I bet they probably wished they didn't. I appreciate every bit of info and it makes these boards so much more fun to read. 
Yes without insiders this wouldn't have been as interesting. I felt this would happen as I kept checking this thread for days the optimism from insiders stayed positive so I started really believing. I only told my wife and then yesterday at the highest of optimism I told one fellow iu fan and then a hour later it all came crashing down lol. I just can't figure out why we were told to expect strong denial and then brad says what he said and apparently the denial was to strong .that the only confusing part I wish could be answered. Chris007 has been a spot on insider and this one thing doesn't erase his valuables knowledge in my book and I hope he isn't upset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is how it flipped from IU's perspective from being a "done deal" to dead SO quickly. I personally believe that the insiders here were accurately relaying what the IU side believed. But in that case, how did it fall apart so fast?

Did Stevens say 100% definitively that he was staying, after apparently agreeing to come to IU 24-36 hours before? If so, why didn't we ask him to wait for us to come back with another offer?

The buyout thing doesn't make sense because there's no way Dolson let's a deal fall apart over that. 

The subsequent silence does make it seem plausible that we're regrouping to take one more run at Stevens. More likely, we are just regrouping before going after our next choice.

I realize why the insiders aren't eager to share any more info right now, but I'd love to know how the last conversation with Stevens went down.

Easiest answer is that it was never actually a done deal so things didn’t actually change. Fans wanted to believe it was a done deal so they believed it was, imo. 

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

Yes without insiders this wouldn't have been as interesting. I felt this would happen as I kept checking this thread for days the optimism from insiders stayed positive so I started really believing. I only told my wife and then yesterday at the highest of optimism I told one fellow iu fan and then a hour later it all came crashing down lol. I just can't figure out why we were told to expect strong denial and then brad says what he said and apparently the denial was to strong .that the only confusing part I wish could be answered. Chris007 has been a spot on insider and this one thing doesn't erase his valuables knowledge in my book and I hope he isn't upset.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Exactly. This coaching search was bound to be a rollercoaster. The biggest thing that I take from all of it is that if all the info is true, is that dolson tried as hard as he could or is still trying. That gives me enough hope that we are gonna be ok whether Stevens is a Masshole or not. That part of it was always gonna be up to him. The saddest thing is not getting to know the details of how it went south or how close it was to getting him. Thats what happens when people roast other people with info on a FREE message board. 

If you are Dolson and looking at an unavoidable coaching vacancy at IUBB how do handle the fanbases's insanity about Brad Stevens?

You _have_ to go after him. You know not doing so is unforgivable and will hang over your shortened tenure.

But if you go after him, it's a miracle if you pull it off. How to balance near certain failure against being obligated to chase that failure?

Maybe you make damn sure the insane fanbase clearly understands you took a real shot - even if you know it had basically no chance from the outset. Maybe you frame that with a crazy amount of cash in the off, positioning BS as the one making the silly choice. You do this to thread the needle on fanbase (including donors, don't forget) expectations and demands, start your time as AD on the best footing possible - or at least avoid a misstep out of the gate.

Maybe i missed it, but i didn't hear him disrespect IU, I heard him talking about himself and the team he is currently coaching (that's P.R. 101).  Did we really think he would bust out with 'I'm outta here!' in that fashion?  I'm sure both he and those involved needed the chatter to ease for a while.

I'm just a dumb dreamer but I'm still hopeful until I hear we are actually looking elsewhere or announce someone.

6 minutes ago, ColtsIU-ND said:

Maybe i missed it, but i didn't hear him disrespect IU, I heard him talking about himself and the team he is currently coaching (that's P.R. 101).  Did we really think he would bust out with 'I'm outta here!' in that fashion?  I'm sure both he and those involved needed the chatter to ease for a while.

I'm just a dumb dreamer but I'm still hopeful until I hear we are actually looking elsewhere or announce someone.

Who knows.  Maybe last night was Brad playing hardball.  He already has a great job and we don't have a coach.  Maybe he's willing to come but he knows he holds all the cards.  He needs us a lot more than we need him.  He could've just been telling Scott to bend over if he wants to make it happen. 

3 minutes ago, raorIU said:

If you are Dolson and looking at an unavoidable coaching vacancy at IUBB how do handle the fanbases's insanity about Brad Stevens?

You _have_ to go after him. You know not doing so is unforgivable and will hang over your shortened tenure.

But if you go after him, it's a miracle if you pull it off. How to balance near certain failure against being obligated to chase that failure?

Maybe you make damn sure the insane fanbase clearly understands you took a real shot - even if you know it had basically no chance from the outset. Maybe you frame that with a crazy amount of cash in the off, positioning BS as the one making the silly choice. You do this to thread the needle on fanbase (including donors, don't forget) expectations and demands, start your time as AD on the best footing possible - or at least avoid a misstep out of the gate.

This is a good point. my only thought is the $10 mill buyout..most of us had conceded that cash would extend AM for one more season..i agreed with others on here in thinking you only pay that if you have your eyes on someone else and it had to be RIGHT NOW.

5 minutes ago, ColtsIU-ND said:

If For some reason he wasn’t or couldn’t step down as Celtics coach but was planning on taking the IU job after the season ended then I could see him make comments like he did to slow the chatter down. I don’t think that’s the case but for those that need to still believe there’s a chance I guess this could be a scenario.

3 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I agree it makes us look pathetic but did they really need to write a story about this? 

Isn't there a basketball tournament going on? 

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Did he lead us on or did IU fans read into what he said what they wanted to hear? IMO, it is the latter. It is similar to when a politician says something. The side that opposes him reads into what he says very different than those who support him.

I think he handled it poorly.

If a girl you were close with from childhood knew you were in a rocky relationship and she mentioned that she wanted to date you in the past and would like  to date you now and you were firm in your belief and desire that you can make your current relationship work out do you:

A) Tell her she is the reason you believe in love and that you have great memories of your time together and that you have so many deep connections with her that you will never forget but you really  appreciate and like your current girlfriend.

or

B) Do you say, "I am sorry but I am in a committed relationship which I plan to see through by thank you, I'm flattered.

4 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Who knows.  Maybe last night was Brad playing hardball.  He already has a great job and we don't have a coach.  Maybe he's willing to come but he knows he holds all the cards.  He needs us a lot more than we need him.  He could've just been telling Scott to bend over if he wants to make it happen. 

Maybe. I don’t see it that way. He has a job but one that is trending down. There are questions as to whether the team is still behind him and there are definitely pitchforks swirling amongst the celts fans.

on the other hand, IU has a clean slate. They’ve paid off Archie and seemingly have a lot of money to throw at the next coach.

I like where we are vs where he is tbh. If the celts don’t manage to make the playoffs it is going to be be insanely toxic and tough to be BS in Boston