Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

Just now, JSHoosier said:

A lifetime contract is nuts IMO.

Why??  Would you not have given Coach K a lifetime contract??  Would you not give Coach Saban a lifetime contract?    Agreed you can't just give those to anyone, but for certain coaches why not especially if are "locking" them into a salary where you know inflation over time is going to make the annual number seem very reasonable ??

25 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

50M buyout is absurd. 

That said, Cal has a 54M buyout. That man's contract is nuts. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Why is it absurd for IU to want a $50mm buyout if another program would try to hire Stevens?  If IU is Brad's "dream job" and IU is going to make a commitment to Brad by paying out a $10mm buyout to a current coach and pay Brad a contract in the TOP 2 of all of college basketball why shouldn't IU want to recoup some of that investment and the cost of replacing him if he were to bail??   Maybe you structure so that the buyout is only that large if another college team, and a lower buyout if another NBA program came calling so IF he decides college REALLY isn't for him even at his dream school he can more easily transition back??

From my view nobody at IU gained.  Seriously, with those rumors swirling around it throws a big damper on whomever they bring in here now for quite a few people.
If you are inferring that Dolson gained, I would say that nothing could be further from the truth.  The school had their people saying they had filet mignon for dinner.  They are going to be bringing in a strip steak at best now.  Nothing wrong with a strip steak, but it isn't a filet.  To me, this was horrible for Dolson to be so close that you have people leaking done deal and now you did not deliver.
"Hey, this strip steak is great isn't it?"  "Yeah, it is good, but it isn't filet mignon...."
And if he lands on a great cheeseburger instead of a steak....geez.

Meh I prefer Ribeyes anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m over it.  He’s not coming.  Fine.  Whatever.  What he said just still seems so strange to me though.  Maybe I need a guys perspective.  Are there any guys here that were born here that are in their mid 40’s that have been big IU fans and have seen the things he has that would turn in their Hoosier card to be a Masshole and go from being a Colts fan to Patriots fan?

Born and raised in the state, diehard IU fan my entire life. Moved away and have lived all over, have several degrees from IU. To me it’s not an either or. I loved watching and cheering for the Colts but I’m not a diehard Colts fan. I can cheer on different teams and still keep IU at the top. I believe Brad’s position is him wanting IU to do as well as we can but he’s not going to be the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not that I believe the Butler rumor for one second, let’s just play along and say it was true. Would explain Stevens response yesterday. Basically if y’all really want me then do what it takes, otherwise I’m here to stay. And that was the public way of getting his point across. 

Just now, IUguy77 said:

Not that I believe the Butler rumor for one second, let’s just play along and say it was true. Would explain Stevens response yesterday. Basically if y’all really want me then do what it takes, otherwise I’m here to stay. And that was the public way of getting his point across. 

If that rumor was true, I'd expect Dolson to go back with something more reasonable than that.  Either in reduced buyout or higher salary/years.  I love IU but I would shoot that down too.

5 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

I’m thinking it’s just another rumor. What’s bothering me is the overall quietness that is going on. 

2 minutes ago, RickeyLaFleur said:

New member, first time poster. I'm not even an IU fan but I've just found this Stevens saga and this thread over the past week fascinating. I've been rooting for you guys to get him. Just an incredibly great story for CBB imo and for a fan base that needs and deserves it. I'm trying to think of parallels. Roy Williams?  

I still don't think that the Stevens saga is 100% over. There have been credible sources saying that there has been dialogue behind the scenes for a bit and that the quotes from BS yesterday were kind of stunning. I even received inside info off of this board the other day that backed it all up. So you can definitely in the least say that he is interested in the IU job. IMO he wants to focus on his task at hand and is sick of the noise distracting him. That task is in a bit of a mess right now. IMO his words from yesterday were out of frustration from the IU noise and the team being in a major rut (12-16 in last 28 games). He likes his job, his players, and his family situation in Boston. So it's a bit unrealistic imo to expect him to quit during the season when they're struggling but still have hopes in the playoffs, especially as COMPETITIVE as he is. I don't believe it's a $ thing either. There might be contract technicalities that need ironed out but one side offers significantly more long term security than the other. 

There were similar comments from Brian Kelly when he was at Cincinnati during an unbeaten season and ND rumors were flying. He essentially said that he's not leaving Cincinnati, he loves it here, great place to raise a family, loves the local food, yada yada...With Nick Saban he was genuinely torn between building the Dolphins and going back to college where he felt deep down he was a better fit and even told his wife that he was staying in Miami before coming home from the office and changing his mind again after sitting down that night with his wife and the Bama AD. 

So IMO, and I'm just a nobody, everyone needs to chill this weekend and breathe, as hard as it is. And Dolson should maybe give BS some space, focus on backup candidates, but not give up on him because it would be worth sacrificing recruiting and transfers for one season in order to get the right guy. 

Welcome to the Board Ricky! I do agree with you that it not might be fully done, but at the point were it’s time to move on. The ship may have sailed on, but can’t because of mechanical problems as I put it. Maybe it’s just a little bit of hope...

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Maybe. In my experience it very seldom pays to burn a bridge. He coulda said  "I'm staying" plain and simple without the groveling.  Whatever his justification I think Brad Stevens is a ****** and his failures will bring a smile to my face. 

He blew the bridge to smithereens.  I am done with him.  I am now leaning toward a true IU guy, regardless of his perceived ability or past performance.  Keep in the family.  F them. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I’m thinking it’s just another rumor. What’s bothering me is the overall quietness that is going on. 

Why? Everything that has been "heard" has been bullSh1t. It's obvious Dolson runs a tight lipped ship. It would be very unprofessional to leak talks with a current tournament coach.

As for Stevens, not going to hate on the guy, but  his pressers leading on IU fans and then his unnecessary comments yesterday are a bit disappointing.