Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

The idea that Brad Stevens would leave the Boston Celtics--one of the two most stories NBA franchises ever-- to come coach a struggling, mismanaged IU basketball program in 2021 is so preposterous that it is amazing to me that anyone believed the "rumor."  Fans got so locked in because they wanted to believe it. It is a classic case of setting themselves up for disappointment based on no tangible evidence. There are other excellent coaches and hopefully IU will land one of them.

The idea and possibility that Brad Stevens would leave the Celtics to come to Indiana is not thought to be preposterous by more than a few fans.  I perceived that it was possible.  I believed that it was possible.  Here are a few reasons why.

There are instances of coaches and players leaving the pros and going to universities to coach. Brad Stevens gave what could be interpreted as a non-denial denial earlier this week.  I have lived in CT and VA and Madison WI and visited 47 states in the USA and I love the midwest.  Indiana University basketball may have been mismanaged for 25 years but if one really understands one's boss (the AD) then that says a lot and can overcome the baggage of the previous ADs and IU mismanagement. 

I do not fall for conspiracies.  I do not chase rumors.  I say show me.  I am a professional engineer with a business/finance degree and I think that Brad Stevens was likely approached by Dolson or someone representing him.  Brad Stevens may have indicated some interest in the job.  The negotiations had taken place.  Stevens, since has declined to contract for the IUHC position.   Seems plausible to me.

Yeah, there were a lot of rumors floating around.  Too numerous to count...

Seemed there were 3 halfway decent and somewhat reliable sources.  I wouldn't have bet a dollar on it.  But it was possible.

37 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Really, who cares if we took a hit with our credibility??? We aren’t news reporters, this isn’t our job.  We are guys on a message boards with some good connections that can and have been wrong. If my sources (they haven’t just so everyone knows) sent me a message and said this is all a smoke screen to fan the flames then I’d share it.  Only time I don’t share it is when I’m asked not too.  They want it shared, unless they say otherwise

First, I'm not doubting your sources or what they believe, know, or have heard.  The IU fan base, because our fanaticism, is quick to believe any positive news.  There has been people who have made a living from it.  Whenever something like this happens, I always question who benefits from it?  Who would be looked at in a better light if the rumors are, in fact, true that we almost had Brad Stevens?  The next question is what would they gain?  I believe if one steps back from this situation and can answer those two questions what happened the last handful of days makes a lot more sense.

46 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Really, who cares if we took a hit with our credibility??? We aren’t news reporters, this isn’t our job.  We are guys on a message boards with some good connections that can and have been wrong. If my sources (they haven’t just so everyone knows) sent me a message and said this is all a smoke screen to fan the flames then I’d share it.  Only time I don’t share it is when I’m asked not too.  They want it shared, unless they say otherwise

What have your sources said regarding Brad's statement yesterday? 

I’m fine with saying we have the money raised and Brad just turned us down.

Thats a big difference then saying we have the money to ask him and we asked him and he said yes.

The other stuff that alway gets added after a done deal is mentioned and then it doesn’t work out, is the hardest stuff to comprehend. Billy Donovan was in Bloomington, he’s our next coach. Now He has changed his mind cause of this or that reason. Brad Stevens got a raise because we offered him a certain amount ,which means he was coming home but changed his mine, when he was offered more money by the Celtics .

The recruiting misses sting when we are told by insiders they are coming ,especially Kaufman of late, but it’s not as big of a deal because we can get go out and get another good recruit.

There is only one Brad Stevens.

We can turn on him because it makes us feel better that he never wanted to leave Boston. IMO it’s not his fault we wouldn’t listen to him when he was trying to tell us he was happy there.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

First, I'm not doubting your sources or what they believe, know, or have heard.  The IU fan base, because our fanaticism, is quick to believe any positive news.  There has been people who have made a living from it.  Whenever something like this happens, I always question who benefits from it?  Who would be looked at in a better light if the rumors are, in fact, true that we almost had Brad Stevens?  The next question is what would they gain?  I believe if one steps back from this situation and can answer those two questions what happened the last handful of days makes a lot more sense.

From my view nobody at IU gained.  Seriously, with those rumors swirling around it throws a big damper on whomever they bring in here now for quite a few people.

If you are inferring that Dolson gained, I would say that nothing could be further from the truth.  The school had their people saying they had filet mignon for dinner.  They are going to be bringing in a strip steak at best now.  Nothing wrong with a strip steak, but it isn't a filet.  To me, this was horrible for Dolson to be so close that you have people leaking done deal and now you did not deliver.

"Hey, this strip steak is great isn't it?"  "Yeah, it is good, but it isn't filet mignon...."

And if he lands on a great cheeseburger instead of a steak....geez.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

From my view nobody at IU gained.  Seriously, with those rumors swirling around it throws a big damper on whomever they bring in here now for quite a few people.

If you are inferring that Dolson gained, I would say that nothing could be further from the truth.  The school had their people saying they had filet mignon for dinner.  They are going to be bringing in a strip steak at best now.  Nothing wrong with a strip steak, but it isn't a filet.  To me, this was horrible for Dolson to be so close that you have people leaking done deal and now you did not deliver.

"Hey, this strip steak is great isn't it?"  "Yeah, it is good, but it isn't filet mignon...."

You're making me hungry with that post.

2 hours ago, bigrod said:

The older I get, the less I care about what others think and say. You really can’t control it anyway. It’s very freeing.

When I was young I used to make fun of older guys for things like wearing black socks with shorts - that kind of thing.  Now I realize they just did what they wanted, or were usedto and didn't give a "tinker's damn" what anyone thought.  Now I'm in my sixties and fully understand (and embrace) that mindset.  It is indeed very liberating.

55 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I get the disappointment. I even buy the analogy... but it sounds like you're miffed that those with connections "did not deliver". It was not up to them (folks like @IUwins0708 and @Chris007, who I am sure don't need me to defend them or their actions)... they can only tell what they are told... AFAIK, none of those guys were involved in any of the negotiations, nor were they "contacts" with Stevens or his people... sure, THEY didn't deliver... but they had as much control over the outcome as you or I did - NADA. ZILCH. BUPKIS.

Yeah, it sucks, and we're all disappointed... and maybe a little angry, and it stung a little. Ok, it stung a lot. But I looked out the window this morning and saw that big yellow ball rising over the eastern horizon, so I have no worries. We will survive this. We're Hoosiers. That's what we do.

28 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

The idea and possibility that Brad Stevens would leave the Celtics to come to Indiana is not thought to be preposterous by more than a few fans.  I perceived that it was possible.  I believed that it was possible.  Here are a few reasons why.

There are instances of coaches and players leaving the pros and going to universities to coach. Brad Stevens gave what could be interpreted as a non-denial denial earlier this week.  I have lived in CT and VA and Madison WI and visited 47 states in the USA and I love the midwest.  Indiana University basketball may have been mismanaged for 25 years but if one really understands one's boss (the AD) then that says a lot and can overcome the baggage of the previous ADs and IU mismanagement. 

I do not fall for conspiracies.  I do not chase rumors.  I say show me.  I am a professional engineer with a business/finance degree and I think that Brad Stevens was likely approached by Dolson or someone representing him.  Brad Stevens may have indicated some interest in the job.  The negotiations had taken place.  Stevens, since has declined to contract for the IUHC position.   Seems plausible to me.

Yeah, there were a lot of rumors floating around.  Too numerous to count...

Seemed there were 3 halfway decent and somewhat reliable sources.  I wouldn't have bet a dollar on it.  But it was possible.

IMO, and i do not have this as fact...Dolson had positive feedback from the Stevens camp prior to making the cash calls.  I suspect both Donors 1 and 2 are not thrilled right now.

37 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You do realize that the Celtics have one title in the past 34 years?

And if I recall correctly it was due n large part because one of their legedary players (Mchale) allowed them to fleece the team he was working for to get a pivotal superstar (Garnet).

I’m over it.  He’s not coming.  Fine.  Whatever.  What he said just still seems so strange to me though.  Maybe I need a guys perspective.  Are there any guys here that were born here that are in their mid 40’s that have been big IU fans and have seen the things he has that would turn in their Hoosier card to be a Masshole and go from being a Colts fan to Patriots fan?

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I got word that it looked promising during the meetings. 

Scott and the donors have to be devastated. We may be screwed. We may have fired Archie too soon. 

Let Mike Roberts coach this season restart the process next year... I kid... Kinda. Why Brad why!!! Tears 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I got word that it looked promising during the meetings. 

Scott and the donors have to be devastated. We may be screwed. We may have fired Archie too soon. 

IF I were the donor being asked to cut a $10mm check I would have wanted more than “promising”.  I would have wanted a signed agreement.  

Just now, IUCane said:

IF I were the donor being asked to cut a $10mm check I would have wanted more than “promising”.  I would have wanted a signed agreement.  

Me too. Who knows what the donor has agreed too. Maybe it’s a true donation and just wanted to burn some money while getting great perks for Iu Football and basketball. 

2 hours ago, Ranger78 said:

People have lost credibility at work. 

Some are pissed at the insiders for sharing information.

Some Goodman guy is an asshat ...

IU basketball is doomed.

Nobody outside of BS can coach or wants to come to IU.

You missed the couple of people constantly spamming for Steve Alford or another IU guy but otherwise an excellent summary.