Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

But you really can.  Credibility and accountability are honorable attributes.  It's a shame that people don't care about it anymore.

Look the only one who lost credibility is Stevens.  He said yes and then said no.  In other words, he lied.  Passing information you believe to be true, which turns out not to come to fruition is not loosing credibility.  

2 minutes ago, Whoozhers said:

We ALL need to quit barking up a dead hog’s @$$...... move on and get a Cream n Crimson died in the wool INDIANA GUY!
IT’s TIME!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Let’s do Fife, with Lewis and Hulls.  Cant be any worse than Archie. And at least they’ll want to be here. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

When I told my coworkers that Brad Stevens would be named coach and then I was wrong, you don't think I lost credibility with them?

What's your definition of credibility?

My definition of you losing credibility with them would be if you told them YOU were going to do something then didn't follow through. 

I was hopeful that Stevens would come coach IU but in reality it's just a game. It's not your life. It's not your character. Just tell them "I was wrong". Life goes on. 

There are multiple coaches, with multiple approaches, that can succeed at Indiana. The last 20 years have shown us that not everyone can do the job... but someone can. It is the job of Scott Dolson to find that person. He seems focused and reasonably competent. Give him time. 

In the meantime? Enjoy life. Those who know you best and love you will still continue to do so. They'll understand that circumstances outside of your control changed but you are passionate about the game and program. I'm sure they have things they are passionate about. They'll understand. If they don't? You don't need them. 

Look the only one who lost credibility is Stevens.  He said yes and then said no.  In other words, he lied.  Passing information you believe to be true, which turns out not to come to fruition is not loosing credibility.  

Did Billy Donovan lie too when him and his wife flew in on a private jet to Bloomington? I know this isn’t my argument, but some things just don’t add up. The raise for Stevens makes zero sense. I was in the same boat Josh... When the words done deal are used, or we have our guy, it gives us the confidence to share info to our closest friends. We took a hit with credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Did Billy Donovan lie too when him and his wife flew in on a private jet to Bloomington? I know this isn’t my argument, but some things just don’t add up. The raise for Stevens makes zero sense. I was in the same boat Josh... When the words done deal are used, or we have our guy, it gives us the confidence to share info to our closest friends. We took a hit with credibility.

And that is why I NEVER said a word to anyone.  I would have looked stupid, because we were the ONLY ones that believed this was going to come true.  No idea how close this was to happening, but I never let myself believe it for various reasons.  We all should have learned our lesson to keep quiet last time.  Just my opinion.

Still heart broken. Really hope there is a good hire out there. Just not as high as everyone else is on some of the other names on the list. Only thing that gives me a shred of hope is that Dolson is not using a search firm. Just not a big fan of those when we're talking about a type of job like IU is supposed to be

8 hours ago, go iu bb said:

People are going to start nitpicking and criticizing Stevens now to feel better about being rejected. 

Their way of saying:

"He's not that good. We dodged a bullet."

"We didn't want him anyways."

It's all nonsense. He would've been a great hire.

And we would all change our minds today, tomorrow, or in June if he changed his mind.  I’m not upset at Brad, I was in the beginning just because I am a crazy fan.  He can claim to be a Masshole but we all know he’s a Hoosier born and bred.  I hope he wins multiple NBA titles, and goes down as the best NBA coach in history.  Yes it still stings but I’m ready to get behind whoever they bring in.

Really wish as an entire fan base we could up our level of respectability. Thinking we’re going to land every recruit or the best coach is.. unbecoming. It’s 2021 not the 70s and 80s. The administration has failed to do its job for a few decades and we think they’re all of the sudden going to land the “savior” coach. It doesn’t work that way. Sure makes for a great diversion with a gullible fan base though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I know what you mean. I waited this out for quite a bit before I reached out to friends a out it but after hearing some of the quotes you referenced, I did reach out to IU fans via text and shared that I was hearing it was done and then a long chat ensued about what to expect under his leadership. So the premise for the entire conversation stemmed from a false starting point. It’s not the end of the world or really that big of a deal but a little embarrassing 

2 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

What if we’re all being duped? Maybe it’s still in the cards lol. Who knows man

I don’t see how he can walk back those comments or convince anyone he really wants to be here after that presser.  Quite honestly, if he gets fired & ends up here, it’ll feel like it’s only because he has to be & every time another NBA job opens up we’ll be looking over our shoulder.  Time to move on...

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Really, who cares if we took a hit with our credibility??? We aren’t news reporters, this isn’t our job.  We are guys on a message boards with some good connections that can and have been wrong. If my sources (they haven’t just so everyone knows) sent me a message and said this is all a smoke screen to fan the flames then I’d share it.  Only time I don’t share it is when I’m asked not too.  They want it shared, unless they say otherwise

What did your source say about the denial and why did Brad's actual denial make you feel different? 

The idea that Brad Stevens would leave the Boston Celtics--one of the two most stories NBA franchises ever-- to come coach a struggling, mismanaged IU basketball program in 2021 is so preposterous that it is amazing to me that anyone believed the "rumor."  Fans got so locked in because they wanted to believe it. It is a classic case of setting themselves up for disappointment based on no tangible evidence. There are other excellent coaches and hopefully IU will land one of them.

13 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

Still heart broken. Really hope there is a good hire out there. Just not as high as everyone else is on some of the other names on the list. Only thing that gives me a shred of hope is that Dolson is not using a search firm. Just not a big fan of those when we're talking about a type of job like IU is supposed to be

I hear what you are saying about search firms.  However, they only do what they are contracted to do.  One may think that they take the place of the school in all decisions.  That is likely not typical use of such firms.

Some may just negotiate after the AD tells them the single candidate.  For instance, behind the scenes contact to inquire levels of interest.

Some may vet one or more candidates.  Some may have other challenges and duties assigned.

None of them would likely make any selection.  They simply make recommendations and justify them to the AD.

I have no problem with IU using professional services to augment the AD and his staff in performing such duties.

The responsibility for doing the search, background vetting, culling and selection is still the responsibility of the AD.

22 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

And we would all change our minds today, tomorrow, or in June if he changed his mind.  

Yes and no. I'd still hire him because he's the best candidate for the job. But I lost a lot of respect for the guy with that performance at the press conference. So I'd be much less enthused about it today than I would have been yesterday.

If he views himself as a ma$$hole, I have no reason to root for his success anywhere other than IU.

10 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

The idea that Brad Stevens would leave the Boston Celtics--one of the two most stories NBA franchises ever-- to come coach a struggling, mismanaged IU basketball program in 2021 is so preposterous that it is amazing to me that anyone believed the "rumor."  Fans got so locked in because they wanted to believe it. It is a classic case of setting themselves up for disappointment based on no tangible evidence. There are other excellent coaches and hopefully IU will land one of them.

You do realize that the Celtics have one title in the past 34 years?

10 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I hear what you are saying about search firms.  However, they only do what they are contracted to do.  One may think that they take the place of the school in all decisions.  That is likely not typical use of such firms.

Some may just negotiate after the AD tells them the single candidate.  For instance, behind the scenes contact to inquire levels of interest.

Some may vet one or more candidates.  Some may have other challenges and duties assigned.

None of them would likely make any selection.  They simply make recommendations and justify them to the AD.

I have no problem with IU using professional services to augment the AD and his staff in performing such duties.

The responsibility for doing the search, background vetting, culling and selection is still the responsibility of the AD.

I'm fine with the auxiliary services that come with a firm. I don't like the idea of the firm creating a short list. Which I feel has been the case in the past.