Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

That was pretty over the top of it was.  Hope so but not counting on it.

Thanks for all that you bring to the boards, I’m guessing the sources maybe as sauced and in disbelief as many of us are at the moment!

No prob man- other than the PUke loss, it's been a sh*t evening for all us IU fans..

Hey Boston lost to the kings too, at home no less. And at least it’s a Friday and not like a Tuesday where everyone has to work tomorrow. Trying really hard to stay positive haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Hey Boston lost to the kings too, at home no less. And at least it’s a Friday and not like a Tuesday where everyone has to work tomorrow. Trying really hard to stay positive haha

Putting it into perspective- Being a sports fan seems minor to everything else important in life- BUT being a sports fan makes the highs REALLY high and the lows REALLY low.. oy vey

Really not wanting to endorse false hope or beat a dead horse but I do have two questions...

- Is what was said in the presser the only indicator that this is over, or has there been other supporting information? I.e., are we going solely by the presser?

- What was the reason or driver for the possibility earlier that there could be some disinformation coming?

BTW, I have zero issues with our gracious insiders sharing what they believe or believed to be accurate, none. Please don't stop.

Thanks.

Brad sayin his guys need to be dying to win. Diving on the floor for loose balls. I thought to myself, has anyone in the NBA played like that since the 80s and early 90s? The way he talks about coaching, I dont see how he will last in the NBA. I'll admit I don't care about the NBA so maybe I'm wrong but the little I have seen, sure don't look like guys wanna dive on the floor. 

13 minutes ago, cleeter said:

If it comes out that the raise Brad got is true, then who’s to say those sources weren’t right? Until (or if) the full story comes out, I myself, believe the sources of [mention]IUwins0708 [/mention] and [mention]Chris007 [/mention] were correct, just Boston throwing the raise there flipped everything. But we can agree to disagree.

If the only reason he was considering the IU job was a massive pay raise, then, yes, when your current boss matches you stay put. If that's the case then it was just a financial deal. If Boston was determined to keep him, we were never going to outbid them. He made a decision and now we move on. I suspect that the information we received from people close to the situation was completely accurate. These things are complicated and subject to change in an instant. We will get a new coach and see where we go from there.

7 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

Brad sayin his guys need to be dying to win. Diving on the floor for loose balls. I thought to myself, has anyone in the NBA played like that since the 80s and early 90s? The way he talks about coaching, I dont see how he will last in the NBA. I'll admit I don't care about the NBA so maybe I'm wrong but the little I have seen, sure don't look like guys wanna dive on the floor. 

Yeah, I think you're wrong. NBA players expend an incredible amount of energy. 

Since you've said you don't watch the NBA, you're probably just not seeing it. Take Stevens own team, Marcus Smart is constantly diving for loose balls. The guy puts his body on the line every time he steps on the floor. 

And, Stevens has already "lasted" in the NBA. Its rare that a coach remains with the same franchise for 9 years, and he's been one of the top coaches in the NBA over that time. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think you're wrong. NBA players expend an incredible amount of energy. 

Since you've said you don't watch the NBA, you're probably just not seeing it. Take Stevens own team, Marcus Smart is constantly diving for loose balls. The guy puts his body on the line every time he steps on the floor. 

And, Stevens has already "lasted" in the NBA. Its rare that a coach remains with the same franchise for 9 years, and he's been one of the top coaches in the NBA over that time. 

Gotcha, yeah thanks man. Like I said, NBA isn't my thing so not surprising I biffed that one. Thanks for the response. 

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He brought the Indiana questions on himself by playing footsie with Dolson for 3 months.  He could have stopped any talk from the first phone call.

In the rest, I have tried to type out my feeling on it several times and I cannot find the words to do justice to it.  The best I can say is that the chip on my shoulder when it comes to the area of the country that you and he live in is gigantic and touches on so much more than basketball.  And I feel like he plucked a nerve he didn't have to pluck.  That is the nicest way I can put it.

We don’t really know that he was ‘playing footsie’ with Dolson for three months. And even if he was, that was something he was doing in private, not out in the public. I just kind of think people were setting themselves up for disappointment because they were convinced he was coming.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We don’t really know that he was ‘playing footsie’ with Dolson for three months. And even if he was, that was something he was doing in private, not out in the public. I just kind of think people were setting themselves up for disappointment because they were convinced he was coming.

Cool, entitled to your opinion.

Well the good news is after his comments today hopefully we can agree he is no longer priority 1. Not now or if fired in 2 years. He is getting asked these questions by reporters not IU fans so if tired of the questions give a clear answer or get mad at the reporters not us. Dakich said something this week I disagreed with till today. He said mid week he was not sure we needed a guy like Steven’s who likes to talk down to us. No Steven’s for me.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I would have preferred he told us to F off when we first put out feelers. Assuming all this was true. I much prefer that to being jerked around. If you set demands and we meet them and had donors put up big time money and you say no and get a raise from the Celtics there is a word for Brad. Its not Masshole but it ryhmes with it. 

7 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

People are going to start nitpicking and criticizing Stevens now to feel better about being rejected. 

Their way of saying:

"He's not that good. We dodged a bullet."

"We didn't want him anyways."

It's all nonsense. He would've been a great hire.

Don't disagree, but it's time to move on. It was a fun few days. Let's have some more fun and talk about who else might want to be our coach.

I’m not upset with Stevens. He did what he felt was best for himself and his family. I’m only upset with myself for believing all the hype. I can only blame myself.

I have a second choice, but I’ll just wait for the AD to announce his hire rather than spend time seeking any tidbits of news to suggest an announcement is coming. I have a lot to do, and I gave up way too much of my time on one candidate already. I can’t help the AD with this decision anyways, nor can I persuade any candidate to accept the AD’s offer. I’m stepping away and tempering my expectations.

Enjoy your summer folks! I’ll check in on roster developments and such, and maybe I’ll weigh in AFTER a decision is made on the new coach. Until then, take care!

Oh, and I’ll just add...of all the things I read on here, the only thing I truly hope was never accurate is the phone call Roberts supposedly made to the unknown recruit about Stevens. That just looks bad, if it did indeed occur.