Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

I may have missed it but can someone explain to me him saying "I'm not a kid anymore" when saying he wasn't considering the job?  what's that all about?

I took it to mean IU was his dream school as a kid, but it's not anymore.  

1 minute ago, akumanina said:

For a few hours, it wasn't easy to digest the whole situation. I can clearly see now that the Stevens camp approached the IU opportunity as 'just another job'. We thought and hoped that Stevens had certain level of emotional attachment to IU men's basketball, but it was our wishful thinking. I mean personally a similar thing happened to me so I understand; I got an offer and said yes to the prospective employer, but then my then current employer gave me a promotion and topped the other company's offer, so I stayed. But I did that because it was just a job; it wasn't a very difficult decision to me because I had no emotional attachment. It's ok that we don't land Stevens for whatever reason, but it left a bit of bitter taste in my mouth because I, we unnecessarily believed that Stevens would have deep affection towards the state of Indiana and IU men's basketball. In the end, he now calls himself a Masshole and cheers for Patriots.

Did this statement really seem genuine to anyone?  I thought it was odd and disingenuous at best.  Seemed like he was just pandering to the Boston fanbase. 

I’m thinking about how disappointed a certain Midwest nba team in 1984 Was when their top two choices were drafted before they got to pick, and then their deal to trade away the player they ended up with fell through. No Sam Bowie playing for them, just stuck with a some guy named Michael Jordan. You never know...

1 minute ago, Five Prime said:

Did this statement really seem genuine to anyone?  I thought it was odd and disingenuous at best.  Seemed like he was just pandering to the Boston fanbase. 

Not sure if that is better or worse though. 

Pretending to be a mass-hole might be worse then being a masshole. 

1 minute ago, Five Prime said:

If he said Patriots, I’ll buy it, but Massholes too? I had to look that up, felt odd to use both

1 minute ago, P92 said:

I’m thinking about how disappointed a certain Midwest nba team in 1984 Was when their top two choices were drafted before they got to pick, and then their deal to trade away the player they ended up with fell through. No Sam Bowie playing for them, just stuck with a some guy named Michael Jordan. You never know...

You know who guarded Michael Jordan in the tournament....

16 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

The raise talk is simply people’s way of justifying IU getting rejected. There’s zero proof to it and no one here or with ties to IU would have that info in the first place. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. IU is not a job Brad Stevens wants. It may not be a job any top teir coach wants. I said this about the Crean firing and echoed it again when the Archie firing was eminent...you don’t fire the guy you have until you have the guy you want. Egos have run amuck within the IU top brass...I fear this will be a very humbling process. 

I imagine you don’t manage anyone. People get fired all the time with the replacement tbd. That’s actually the norm

9 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

he definitely rehearsed it in the mirror this morning

13 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

You could be right. It might've been his plea to all Massholes out there to get their support. But I think our love for Stevens kind of got out of control because we kept trying to read between the lines. We already had 'THE BRAD STEVENS' in our minds the way we would want him to be, but in fact, he was just an individual trying his best looking out for himself, which is right and fair. We just thought he would be some sort of a selfless person, and we shouldn't have. Or maybe it was just my problem. 

Edited by akumanina

One thing we haven’t even addressed which is really important....Dunkin Donuts is trash. Maybe if you’re from there and don’t know any better you like it. But no one lives the majority of their life somewhere else where there are respectable donut options and likes Dunkin’ Donuts. It was scripted.