Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

1 minute ago, sabaka said:

That’s why this seems kind of fishy to me. Tell us u love us, then hate us. Seems very contradictory. Maybe I’m reading to much into it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know it’s petty but the masshole and Patriots comments were a low blow IMO. If he had stuck to his initial remarks I would’ve said ok, on to the next one. When he made those remarks it was more like “wow, **** this d-bag.”

4 minutes ago, FWHoosier84 said:

Now that I'm coming down from the hopium high, the downside of a Stevens hire would that he'd jet for the NBA. Say he has the same success at IU as he did at Butler and a new NBA super-team formed and needed a new coach. We already know he wants to win an NBA championship so that allure would be strong. 

I want a lifer that will be at IU for 20+ years. That's why I wanted Archie to work so badly. If he would have succeeded, he would have been here 25-30  years. 

Then Beard is not the guy!!  He's a Texas guy and his family are all from Texas.  Sources say that his dream job is the Texas job if it opens up.

So if he's the hire, he will probably leave once Smart gets canned down the road or moves on.

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I’ve been following IU basketball online since the firemikedavis.com days. Ugly as it was.

I also had some good connections on the Indiana HS basketball scene. So much so that I belong to some closed chat groups with Indiana coaches. The type where we see these internet wannabes text these coaches for info and then post it online as “confirmed sources.” Interesting phenomenon. 

With that said I moved away and didn’t keep up with that stuff for the last few years. And I’lladmit even these guys had me a little excited about Stevens. I wanted it to be so. But unless he’s pulling some Saban-esque non denial, you can’t reconcile the vernacular used by your “sources” (done deal!) here with any reality. Just all bull ****.   

I’m sorry to say. Ban me if you want. I’d love nothing more than Stevens to come. First heard of him from my hs coach friend who said he was shocked some dork assistant no one knew about was getting the butler head job, but everyone raved about him. Went to indy to watch them play in the F4.  

feel bad for iu fams, myself included, who got their hopes up...again. Seen it for twenty years now. We used to argue tealor v davis. Now its stevens v beard.  But these rumors are just that...

Well, welcome to the board. You won't get banned from me - I had a post get deleted today so attempting to keep a low profile.

I've heard people who say they get Crean and Archie vibes from Beard, but he'd be my second choice behind Stevens. I'm not sure who we get, I just don't want to be as disappointed as I was today. And really only Alford would leave me at that level of disappointment from the candidates being discussed.

3 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

I guess. The NBA in my mind is ultimately a players driven league. At some point, an owner is going to say no coach is worth a certain $ amount when he can get 80% of the coaching value at 50% of the cost. It's also not like any of this is at the expense of the university. As long as you have donors footing the bill, force Ainge to shoot himself in the foot with a ridiculous HC salary.

I agree and that's why I'm skeptical that he was actually given a raise. Ainge just gave him one and an extension last year. This year, they aren't performing, fans are pissed at both Brad and Ainge and he responds with another raise to keep him? Ainge just handcuffed the rest of his exec career to Brad. He's all in on Brad (if the raise actually happened). 

Could you imagine if Dolson gave Archie a raise this past Monday instead of letting him go?

7 minutes ago, madmax said:

I guess the one thing that still doesn't make any sense with any of this is the family angle. It was reported that a driving factor in Brad's decision making process was his wife's desire to come home. Did that just disappear because Ainge talked smooth and upped his salary a few million? Seems odd. I don't know.

This is exactly what I find very strange. IF he did get a raise from Boston due to IU’s offer, where did all the “wife wants to go home and she had part in his decision” go? Maybe it could be all smoke in mirrors... looks more like we just lost the big fish too!!!!

Edited by Artie86

I have a feeling Brad wanted to stay with the Celtics all along but the wife wanted to return so he was entertaining the idea. Then once Boston offered the same he made the final decision. If so Goodluck moving forward cause extra money ain’t going to change that feeling. 

Beard - He's a Texas guy and his family are all from Texas.  Sources say that his dream job is the Texas job if it opens up.

Musselman - Sources say he wants to get back in the NBA,  so we will constantly have that hanging over.

Oates - His buyout is atrocious 

Bennett - Declined a pay raise and is happy at UVA

To me that leaves Drew, Matta and Beilein unless you want to take your shot at another mid major???

Edited by NVFalcons1990

I agree, fyi, just curious who Whoozers feels it needs to be if it needs to be an Indiana guy. The alumni doesn’t exactly have a deep pool to choose from or at least of the caliber we’d hope for

Lol! Tell us.... what “caliber” are you looking for? The hot coach from Dayton??

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, hoosierbannerd said:

I would still love to know what Dolson said to the donor to convince him/her to shell out $10 million to buy off Archie.

Either way that HAD to happen whether we had a coach or not.  For these donors, 10 mil is a drop in the bucket.  $10 million to get rid of the headache?  Problem solved 

1 minute ago, Whoozhers said:

Lol! Tell us.... what “caliber” are you looking for? The hot coach from Dayton??

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Someone who hasn't flamed out at his two P5 stops. The recruits parents are the only people who can recall that Alford went to IU so I'm not convinced he would suddenly have far more success coaching his alma mater. Even ignoring the Pierre Pierce situation at Iowa, his resume doesn't scream "we need that guy". You are certainly not alone, I just can't get behind the Alford push.

We wanted Brad to come home. No evidence that he ever wanted to. His wife isn’t from here so that argument isn’t great either. I’m sure he wants to prove Celtic fans wrong and turn things around. 8 years is a long time, that is there home now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

27 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd love to think we still have a chance, and Stevens didn't say anything that convinced me this was over, but our insiders all backtracking like this has me thinking it's done. 

15 minutes ago, sabaka said:

I am probably wrong on this but there is this feeling I have that the presser was just smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He sure sounds conflicted/confused/something saying...

we're going through a tough season, and I think that it's not my job to not go through it. It's not my job to not make sure I'm doing everything I can to help find a better version of ourselves this year.

Not my job to not go through it? What is his job?

Not my job to not make sure I'm doing everything I can to help find a better version of ourselves this year? What is his job? Only this year?

I think it's over, but this does sound odd. It's not my job to not understand what he's not saying or not though.