Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

Just now, maharkn said:

Offer 10 million a year no way he says no and no way Boston matches

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

If you are able to guarantee the support to $10 Million?   I'll get you Mr Dolson's phone number.  

Forgive me if this sounds like nonsense, I'm on my 3rd drink. 

Anyway, I think it's gonna be Beard.         IF we had gotten Brad, great.

However... "Texas Tech's Chris Beard on IU basketball opening: 'I don't talk about jobs".. That's a non-denial, denial.

All the Brad talk was a nice smokescreen while a coach in the current NCAA tourney in the state of Indiana is coaching his team..

former RMK assistant- would be blessed by RMK and former players..  so he's close to an "IU guy"  (I know that's a stretch)

Nothing new here, just a disappointed dude getting shitfaced sharing current thoughts

Carry on...

8 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Coming out hot out of the gates with your first post.

A - I don’t think the Chris007’s of the world(board) were posting Twitter rumors but things they were hearing from people closer to the decision makers.

B - for them to get attacked when it proves to be false is what I don’t understand. It’s a free message board. No money was lost and no one was forced to believe the things being said. That’s what I don’t understand and consider me one of those who believed it, but I’m certainly not going to go on a hunting mission no matter how disappointed I am. That’s all I was saying. Did I just feed the troll?

I’ve been following IU basketball online since the firemikedavis.com days. Ugly as it was.

I also had some good connections on the Indiana HS basketball scene. So much so that I belong to some closed chat groups with Indiana coaches. The type where we see these internet wannabes text these coaches for info and then post it online as “confirmed sources.” Interesting phenomenon. 

With that said I moved away and didn’t keep up with that stuff for the last few years. And I’lladmit even these guys had me a little excited about Stevens. I wanted it to be so. But unless he’s pulling some Saban-esque non denial, you can’t reconcile the vernacular used by your “sources” (done deal!) here with any reality. Just all bull ****.   

I’m sorry to say. Ban me if you want. I’d love nothing more than Stevens to come. First heard of him from my hs coach friend who said he was shocked some dork assistant no one knew about was getting the butler head job, but everyone raved about him. Went to indy to watch them play in the F4.  

feel bad for iu fams, myself included, who got their hopes up...again. Seen it for twenty years now. We used to argue tealor v davis. Now its stevens v beard.  But these rumors are just that...

I completely disagree, we need a GOOD coach. PERIOD. IMO.
Stevens isn't an Indiana guy- either, self-proclaimed mASS-Hole.

I completely disagree. We suffered through Crean and Archie. Enough of that BS! We need a guy that has lived and breathed IU Basketball and knows it inside and out. Had enough of this tinkering on the edges.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 days ago I was reading a lot of comments about how you make Brad Stevens say No and then go back again with a better offer multiple times if you have to. Why the change of heart now? Im playing catch-up because I had to step out for a while, but it sounds like we were 99% there only to be matched at the last second? Why wouldn't you do whatever is possible to go back and make the offer more enticing? Add another $1M+ per, add 2-3 years, up the buy-out, etc. BS is far and away the best option so not sure why we're throwing in the towel after the first no when supposedly conversations have been ongoing for 2-3 months.

I'm not holding my breath for anything. Just don't understand the defeatist attitude for a program desperate to be relevant again.

Now that I'm coming down from the hopium high, the downside of a Stevens hire would that he'd jet for the NBA. Say he has the same success at IU as he did at Butler and a new NBA super-team formed and needed a new coach. We already know he wants to win an NBA championship so that allure would be strong. 

I want a lifer that will be at IU for 20+ years. That's why I wanted Archie to work so badly. If he would have succeeded, he would have been here 25-30  years. 

5 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

3 days ago I was reading a lot of comments about how you make Brad Stevens say No and then go back again with a better offer multiple times if you have to. Why the change of heart now? Im playing catch-up because I had to step out for a while, but it sounds like we were 99% there only to be matched at the last second? Why wouldn't you do whatever is possible to go back and make the offer more enticing? Add another $1M+ per, add 2-3 years, up the buy-out, etc. BS is far and away the best option so not sure why we're throwing in the towel after the first no when supposedly conversations have been ongoing for 2-3 months.

I'm not holding my breath for anything. Just don't understand the defeatist attitude for a program desperate to be relevant again.

bc he'll just take it to Boston and they'll beat it.

Woj and the national guys are right about one thing, we can't compete with NBA money. If coming home, being at IU, being a freaking king wasn't enough in addition to a fat pay raise, what more can we offer that Boston can't match?

At a certain point you have to have some respect and just walk away. That point is now. 

3 minutes ago, sabaka said:

I am probably wrong on this but there is this feeling I have that the presser was just smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Like I said, nothing he said sounded like a definitive "no" to me. It honestly sounded more like someone who's tired of the question and just wanted the media to get off his back for awhile. I wasn't fazed by his comments, then I came on here and saw 0708's post and it was a gut punch.  

5 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I agree, fyi, just curious who Whoozers feels it needs to be if it needs to be an Indiana guy. The alumni doesn’t exactly have a deep pool to choose from or at least of the caliber we’d hope for

I’m pretty sure there are some that have wanted Alford but we’ll see if they go after any other big names first.

I guess the one thing that still doesn't make any sense with any of this is the family angle. It was reported that a driving factor in Brad's decision making process was his wife's desire to come home. Did that just disappear because Ainge talked smooth and upped his salary a few million? Seems odd. I don't know.

Just now, hoosierbannerd said:

Forgive me if this sounds like nonsense, I'm on my 3rd drink. 

Anyway, I think it's gonna be Beard.         IF we had gotten Brad, great.

However... "Texas Tech's Chris Beard on IU basketball opening: 'I don't talk about jobs".. That's a non-denial, denial.

All the Brad talk was a nice smokescreen while a coach in the current NCAA tourney in the state of Indiana is coaching his team..

former RMK assistant- would be blessed by RMK and former players..  so he's close to an "IU guy"  (I know that's a stretch)

Nothing new here, just a disappointed dude getting shitfaced sharing current thoughts

Carry on...

The problem I see is that the nice smokescreen likely does a lot of harm to people's excitement for and perception of the new coach. I could see going all in on Stevens and making him refuse in public so that fans are less likely to be constantly pining for him but it would be dumb to do that merely as a smokescreen. 

2 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Fair point, I think the consensus is he has given a "NO, final answer" For whatever reason he doesn't want to coach IU for a lot of money.

Idk.  He ripped my guts out.  Seemed pretty convincing.  Went the extra mile by saying he roots for the patriots.  What a bastard

That’s why this seems kind of fishy to me. Tell us u love us, then hate us. Seems very contradictory. Maybe I’m reading to much into it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, mdiu28 said:

bc he'll just take it to Boston and they'll beat it.

Woj and the national guys are right about one thing, we can't compete with NBA money. If coming home, being at IU, being a freaking king wasn't enough in addition to a fat pay raise, what more can we offer that Boston can't match?

I guess. The NBA in my mind is ultimately a players driven league. At some point, an owner is going to say no coach is worth a certain $ amount when he can get 80% of the coaching value at 50% of the cost. It's also not like any of this is at the expense of the university. As long as you have donors footing the bill, force Ainge to shoot himself in the foot with a ridiculous HC salary.

5 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

There’s a lot about this that doesn’t make sense. 

1 minute ago, madmax said:

I guess the one thing that still doesn't make any sense with any of this is the family angle. It was reported that a driving factor in Brad's decision making process was his wife's desire to come home. Did that just disappear because Ainge talked smooth and upped his salary a few million? Seems odd. I don't know.

HMMM. Maybe  the family angle was not really an angle, and it was simply some people on message boards that were looking for anything to bolster their belief of why he would come to IU.