Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No he can't.  He is the coach of the Boston freaking Celtics.  And instead of being surrounded by 60,000 people who all know who he is, he is surrounded by several million who all know who he is.  He is probably one of THE most recognizable faces in that city.

Lol, no, he is not one of the most recognizable faces in the city. You can see ten dudes who look like this on your morning walk to the office in Boston. 

C8906C69-F74F-4D46-A5A9-9B3C31F278FC.jpeg.73f05601b772b18c79fe263be0af630c.jpeg

I get that we all want him to come here, but come on. He can live a much more normal life in Boston than he could in Bloomington. You think he’s going anywhere in Bloomington without being recognized? 

4 hours ago, Capt. Crimson said:

Unless they bought a new one they sold that place a couple years back. I know some people who live close by and have seen the Celtics flag flying high on the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well that’s not good. My guess is they gave up on the idea of coming back then and sold it. I wasn’t aware. Can’t imagine they’d go to the trouble of selling it and buying another one for as limited amount of time as they’d have there....doesn’t mean he wouldn’t like to now though. I’ve met a handful of people who have homes on that lake, never been myself, but they are all addicted to it...Never stop talking about it. They all have their regular friends/family and their lake WaWa friends/family like it’s two separate worlds. 

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

In general non-competes have limits, you can't forbid someone from making a living in an industry, you might limit the location or forbid them from contacting clients they acquired with your company, for instance. But no blanket "can't coach" clause would stand up or ever be agreed to. 

This is correct.  The only reason the NBA can prevent a coach from taking another job is because of the anti-trust exemptions that were granted to them by congress.  Those exemptions do not extend to the NCAA, so the Celtics do not have the power to prevent him from being the next coach for the Hoosiers.

28 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I don't think Mark Cuban would be allowed to contribute the money to IU if Dolson mentioned Brad Stevens.  It seems like this would be a conflict of interest and possibly collusion to remove a rival coach from the league when you own a competing team.  So either Mark didn't pony up the cash, or Dolson never told him who he is targeting.

Technically I think he could pay Archies buyout. He definitely couldn’t pay the transition costs 

1 minute ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Well that’s not good. My guess is they gave up on the idea of coming back then and sold it. I wasn’t aware. Can’t imagine they’d go to the trouble of selling it and buying another one for as limited amount of time as they’d have there....doesn’t mean he wouldn’t like to now though. I’ve met a handful of people who have homes on that lake, never been myself, but they are all addicted to it...Never stop talking about it. They all have their regular friends/family and their lake WaWa friends/family like it’s two separate worlds. 

Sold it to buy one on Monroe. 

Tend to agree the C’s wouldn’t want him to finish the year if he’d agreed to another job. All signs indicate his superiors there love him and would love to keep him.

That also makes me think they’d want an amicable exit for everyone’s sake, so maybe there’s a “need a new voice” parting of ways and he takes the IU job.

Thunder did something similar for Billy Donovan after last season. They love him but figured they were going to tank for a bit and his contract was up. They let him go but everyone was on good terms. IIRC he and Sam Presti reminisced over drinks in Presti’s office.

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Also, there is blood family and there are contacts you make that can be like family.

Being the coach's wife in a nee city is probably fairly isolating.  You come in and your "friends" are assistant coaches wives or executive's wives?  Tracy and Brad had to have had an Indiana network before he became Brad bleeping Stevens. Coming to Bloomington puts her within driving distance of that friend network.  If they buy property anywhere north of Bloomington then she is a jump on 37 (being converted to I69) away from everyone they spent years developing friendships with in the Indianapolis area and northern suburbs.

Sterling mentioned Boston is a very parochial city.  There is Boston and there are transplants.  A midwesterner in Boston who has to live in the type of bubble that the Stevens live in are the ultimate fish out of water. 

Her family may not be here in Indiana, but her roots most definitely are.

I think this is part of why Indiana makes sense.  Things like this guys like Goodman and Bilas do not understand.  Some people love Boston or cities like that, others don't really like living in cities like that.  There might be elite schools there but when I have looked to move around I have been surprised just how strong some of our school districts have compared nationally.  But again, there is more to it than how someone else defines elite.

Home is often where family is.  I am considering a move to Florida from IN but I know that with kids here, parents here, the magnetic pull back here will be strong.  For some folks, family relationships are the elite part of life.  

If they come, the boatload of money will help but they did not open the door initially because of the $.  The did were open to a discussion because of non financial reasons.

3 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Can't say I blame them. It's wonderful there. Wish I had a place there myself. lol

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol, no, he is not one of the most recognizable faces in the city. You can see ten dudes who look like this on your morning walk to the office in Boston. 

C8906C69-F74F-4D46-A5A9-9B3C31F278FC.jpeg.73f05601b772b18c79fe263be0af630c.jpeg

I get that we all want him to come here, but come on. He can live a much more normal life in Boston than he could in Bloomington. You think he’s going anywhere in Bloomington without being recognized? 

He will totally be recognized in Bloomington just like he totally gets recognized in Boston.

When you are his profile level, you don't get to be anonymous anymore.  But I lay money that his life is just as restricted in Boston because, no, he is not more anonymous there than he would be in Bloomington.  

Brad Stevens is the new coach of IU basketball but due to contract restrictions will be coaching via cell phone and Zoom while simultaneously remaining on the Celtics sideline. Tacko Fall is now averaging 32 mins a game. Bob Einstein (RIP) has been hired as a surrogate on the IU sidelines. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

It was told to me that it was done on the IU side. Rabby is saying Brad is deciding. I think he has to be a little more careful or that’s what he’s hearing. My info was we have talked to the agent for Brad for over a month, we were told what  it was going to take to get the deal done, and we’ve done all of that. 

Tracy is Brad’s agent. Did they somehow leave that out? If so, it’s bad info

31 minutes ago, Hoosier Hacker said:

First off, I really appreciate the insider info you've been providing (this has been a lot of fun following), and in saying this I'm not directing it at you as much as I am the sources who phrased it to you this way, but:  how would IU making a strong offer for Brad to consider be anywhere close to a "done deal"?  If true, we should all at the very least take heart that our new AD is not messing around, but this sounds like it should've been portrayed more as "well, we've done what we can do, let's see what he decides to do".  Even if the offer was equal to what the Stevens camp said would make them listen, that's still not what I would feel like calling a done deal.  If you can, could you elaborate more on what makes your sources and yourself more confident?

Let's say you're a wealthy individual looking to make a major purchase, a mansion perhaps. Then you find the exact one you're looking for and agree to the current owner's price. Even though you aren't ready to move in yet and haven't signed all the paperwork wouldn't you likely tell close associates that the deal is done? Things could still fall through at the last minute but you have the cash and you met the seller's terms so you'd be right to be pretty damn confident that you had just purchased the mansion you've been wanting. Conversely, on the seller's side of things you don't take it off the market, announce that it has been sold, and hand over the keys until all the paperwork is completely signed and the cash is in hand. 

1 minute ago, Bowhunter said:

IMG_1616167677.119349.jpg

My worry is that Aj said slight chance

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m sure Aj if he knows something wouldn’t be able to leak stuff without getting in trouble with the University. He like all the former players have been tweeting out candidates all week