Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

Just now, ap2345 said:

I don’t know about that. I’m not sure he’s a winner and just a guy that puts up numbers.

He is a scorer and Indiana has desperately needed a scorer. The only guy in the Archie era who could make his shot off the dribble was Devonte 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Let's not forget about this important part. These things take awhile. I believe that they've made the decision it's just a matter of I guess getting loose ends together. 

That kind of money I am of the firm belief that they knew exactly who they were writing the checks to get.

5 minutes ago, Dizz said:

Not sure there's much he can do unless there's some crazy clause in Brad's contract regarding the college level.

I don't think it would be legal for the Celtics to include a clause in Brad's contract preventing him from coaching in college, because the NCAA does not have an anti-trust exemption.  The only reason it is legal within the NBA is because of that exclusion.  I believe it would be legal to include language that had penalties for terminating his contract early, but I think they would have a hard time outright blocking him from going to coach at Indiana.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

I don’t know about that. I’m not sure he’s a winner and just a guy that puts up numbers.

From what I've seen, he puts up numbers because he had weak team mates (sound familiar?) and was trying his best to win. The next coach should definitely contact him, or one of the assistants should now.

Back to Brad.

2 minutes ago, Adillac said:

If the info we are getting is that this convo between IU and Stevens has been going on for a couple months, then the donors forking over two huge bags of cash for the buyout and the transition suggest to me that this could in fact be almost a done deal. Nobody is giving away 10million dollars for a chance to land Scott Drew or John Beilein. 

I tend to believe this too but I guess it depends on the donor.

I'm also not a billionaire. $10M to the ultra wealthy is like $10 to others. All proportional. Totally feasible Scott just went to these guys and said "I'm 90% sure I can get Brad but he wont talk to me while IU still has a head coach. I need $10M now"

8 minutes ago, IUHAHN81 said:

Crack the whip Tracy! Let's get er done! 

I loved "Welcome Back Kotter!" 

This is how I feel Dolson & all IU fans are feeling. 

Horshack and his synonymous....."OOOOOOHH, OOOOOHH!" PICK ME!!!!

Arnold Horshack GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Let's not forget about this important part. These things take awhile. I believe that they've made the decision it's just a matter of I guess getting loose ends together. 

Until you realize $10 million is like the equivalent of $0.50 to Mark Cuban

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Unlike others, I'm not feeling anxiety over this today.  Something just feels good about it.  Unless we're completely off base, it's clear Brad Stevens is considering the proposal and that is miles ahead of how we conducted coach searches the last 4 times.  Our AD is going all out and even in the event that Coach Stevens opts to stay in Beantown, it will show other candidates that A) We're damn serious about getting a highly talented coach and B) If the situation is intriguing to Brad Freakin' Stevens, how many college coaches are above the same job? (a small handful at most).

I don't know.  Maybe I've been scarred from the coaching search the last time, but I would think the optics would be the exact opposite to the coaching community, and to the general public.  "Look, IU just offered up a wheelbarrow full of money to someone who grew up an IU fan and once called this his 'dream job', and he turned them down.  There's something wrong there."  Not saying that's my opinion, but what I fear if he politely declines to stay where he is, we'll be dealing with some major egg on our face.

That's why it's got to work out.  Brad **** Stevens!!!

I’m still rock solid saying he’s coming.  Remember most of us, if any, don’t do these sorts of contracts.  There is as much paperwork with these as buying a house I’ve been told.  Plus any adjustments made from either side then the process starts over.  I’m a firm believe in his wife wants to come home.  Until I hear something different I’m confident he’s coming.  

Not only is there lots of paperwork, but from what I’m hearing, Brad is a stand up guy. He could have signed everything this morning but wanting to spend time with the team and talk to players personally and break the news to them rather than them finding out on Twitter. Handle the situation his way and the right way basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dizz said:

Until you realize $10 million is like the equivalent of $0.50 to Mark Cuban

I don't think Mark Cuban would be allowed to contribute the money to IU if Dolson mentioned Brad Stevens.  It seems like this would be a conflict of interest and possibly collusion to remove a rival coach from the league when you own a competing team.  So either Mark didn't pony up the cash, or Dolson never told him who he is targeting.