Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

If you think that is the only piece of evidence than I can’t help you. I’ve laid out exactly what had gone on for the last month. This has been in the works for a while. 

I said that it was the most compelling piece of evidence, not the only piece.  I don't keep tabs on success rates of insider tips in this forum.  People really respect you.  I certainly take that into consideration, and I am not accusing you of saying anything that you don't believe to be true. I know several guys who work in the NFL, they are very connected, but information that they get is still often wrong, or significantly premature.  To your further credit both you and IUwins have stated that things could change.

I respect that.  I heard that the Ravens were signing Colin Kaepernick from the guy who was putting the name on the back of the jersey.  It doesn’t get much more certain than that.  Then his GF made a tweet and the Ravens backed out.  The full story didn't come out for months.

In your opinion, outside of your personal source, what is the most compelling corroborating evidence for Stevens to IU?

9 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Am I the only one not buying the certainty all of this Brad Stevens talk?  Sure, if I squint really hard and look for "Brad Crumbs" I can concoct a scenario where it is plausible.  I just find it much more likely that this is a replay of Billy Donovan all over again.

The most compelling piece of "evidence" so far is Brad's presser before the Jazz game.  He seemed like someone really considering what it would be like to come home.  The timing seems right from an outsider's perspective.  I don't find it unreasonable that Stevens would consider IU.  I just think that the excitement is way overblown for the evidence presented.  In other words, quit getting me excited that this might happen, my kids keep asking me why my eyes are watering!

Disregarding everything else that's been said and speculated on, the fact remains that there was a compelling/attractive enough reason to cause one wealthy donor to pay up to an extra $7 million to buy out Miller a year early and another donor to agree to a "nearly unlimited funds" for the transition costs of a new hire. As good/great as the other options for a new coach are, I just can't see any of them moving the needle to that level. It doesn't mean that it will ultimately work out but it is, IMO, a pretty good indicator that there is a real possibility that it will. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Very quiet. Hopefully their figuring things out in Boston. 

My biggest fear is that the Celtics are putting together a counter offer, but the way their current season is going, I think it would be a hard sell to the fans.

13 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

In fairness he may not be familiar with you or your insane credibility. I was holding back telling my wife stevens was a possibility but I caved in and said you were saying it is likely so I believe it will happen!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I certainly don't keep stats on the accuracy of insider information.  I am also not trying to offend anyone.  We are all Hoosier fans!

I think if IU gets to the mid or late April without naming a new coach, everyone would know that it was Stevens. No way they go that long after the NCAA season completely finishes (April 5) without hiring a coach from another university (or unemployed) unless they're waiting on the NBA season to finish. This is, of course, assuming no more leaks than what there are now.

17 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I think something breaks tomorrow or Saturday if it's going to happen.  Just my guess.  If they really have reached a deal something has to come out. Ainge would have to be aware and I doubt he would want a coach that's about to bolt. 

4:10 tonight before the first game tips off at Assembly Hall. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Many have commented that the SSAH experience needs to be spruced up. So, I offer you this ... 

As we take the court next season, the lights go out, spotlights shine all around, the music cranks up to a 1970s rock 'n' roll song by an English band -- or the Five Finger Death Punch version if you prefer. Here are the lyrics ... 

A basketball team always on the run
A destiny, oh it's the rising sun
We were born, basketballs in our hands
On the court
We make our final stand, yeah
That's why they call us

Brad company
We can't deny
Brad, Brad company
'Til the day we die
Until the day we die

Definitely Five Finger Death Punch!!!

13 minutes ago, Seawolf82 said:

My biggest fear is that the Celtics are putting together a counter offer, but the way their current season is going, I think it would be a hard sell to the fans.

I don't think this is something to worry about. Brad either wants to come back to Indiana or he doesn't. He'll make plenty at either job.

4 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Personally, I could care less when the official announcement is. I'm just eagerly anticipating some word breaking on the Celtics/NBA side of things. That would show that this smoke isn't just on the IU side of things. Give me a Woj bomb...

For my sleep patterns, an announcement sooner rather than later would be good!

20 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Patience is a virtue.  Enjoy the ball games guys and gals.  We are in a good place.  Speculate all you want but it’s not helping anything or anyone.  If, that’s a big IF, something changes I’ll spill the beans.  Don’t think I have to worry about that though.  I think I’m going to drink some beer and watch some ball tonight all the while having a smile on my face!

Agree.  Let's logic our way through this thing.  Brad decides last night to go to IU.  He tells Danny this morning.  Danny tells him to give him 48 hours to figure out how the Celtics want to handle it.  I would imagine that even after they figure out how to handle it, they still have to look for a new coach (if he isn't staying until the end of the season), put together a press release, prepare remarks for a presser, and tell the team before any of that can happen.  It is entirely possible that nothing is announced until after their next game.

Everybody take a deep breath.  I realize that waiting sucks and we all are feeling snake-bitten by the Billy Donovan situation but these things take time and we just have to wait for the process to play out.

9 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

Personally, I could care less when the official announcement is. I'm just eagerly anticipating some word breaking on the Celtics/NBA side of things. That would show that this smoke isn't just on the IU side of things. Give me a Woj bomb...

I have Woj on notifications! My heart stops every time he tweets...