Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just reread the transcript of Dolson's presser, and this struck me (along with fitting in with what the insiders on here are saying)...

"This will be the last time you hear from me. I hope you respect that, until the process is complete, until the next time you see me, we’ll be naming a head coach. I just want to be certain you can appreciate the sensitivity of the process in going through that."

Shows me 2 things...he's not worried about trying to extend the notoriety through the media that comes from pursuits like this, and the silence and absence of leaks would make the Mossad proud...

Not only that...  It also implies to me that the work is in progress.  That means that they have already made contact with the prospective coach and that there is enough certainty of a positive outcome that the AD knows that there will be a short period between the above statement and the PR.  

Process could also mean that the AD might be still searching for the right coach.  But, the implication of a short time means to me that they are wrapping up the loose ends.

If this BS thing goes down, I have similar concerns where I just checked myself. As in, shout to the mountain that he came home. Next, understand there could be a wide swing of success happening in the first 3 years. Him hanging a banner isn't even on the radar for me personally for a while. Best case scenario, most of the team stays in tact, TJD and Franklin remain for sure, and Brad brings a few studs from transfer or hardships or covid 5th year. That 5th year thing could be a wild opportunity for IU and Brad. 

Ok, getting ahead of myself

4 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I was also thinking that if you read through Dolson's comments, they fit Stevens to a T. The talk about hiring a CEO of the program, someone with his pulse on where the game is headed, etc. Stevens would check every description of what Dolson said he is looking for, in ways that some other candidates (Beard, for instance) would not.

My thought too... who else on our list would his description fit?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just reread the transcript of Dolson's presser, and this struck me (along with fitting in with what the insiders on here are saying)...

"This will be the last time you hear from me. I hope you respect that, until the process is complete, until the next time you see me, we’ll be naming a head coach. I just want to be certain you can appreciate the sensitivity of the process in going through that."

Shows me 2 things...he's not worried about trying to extend the notoriety through the media that comes from pursuits like this, and the silence and absence of leaks would make the Mossad proud...

I do wonder if we have moved on from Brad, or it's just not possible, that Dolson would try and throw out some leaks to put these rumors to rest. You gotta think that if he's finalizing a contract with somebody like Beard (who would be an excellent choice); it'd feel like a let down right now. Anybody other than Stevens would be a let down. Does he want that cloud over his head at the time of his announcement (if it's not Brad)? 

I believe the 'it's not Billy Donovan' leaks came from the IU side; probably for this very reason.

If/When we hear rumors from our side shutting the door on Stevens is when we can have our hopes and dreams smashed. 

37 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Is Brad home yet?

How long did it take to hire Archie after Crean was creamed? 2 weeks right?

Eleven days. Clappy was canned on 03/16/2017. CAM was announced on 03/27/2017.

10 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I was also thinking that if you read through Dolson's comments, they fit Stevens to a T. The talk about hiring a CEO of the program, someone with his pulse on where the game is headed, etc. Stevens would check every description of what Dolson said he is looking for, in ways that some other candidates (Beard, for instance) would not.

Eh, Miller didn't fit what Glass described but we saw what happened.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I do wonder if we have moved on from Brad, or it's just not possible, that Dolson would try and throw out some leaks to put these rumors to rest. You gotta think that if he's finalizing a contract with somebody like Beard (who would be an excellent choice); it'd feel like a let down right now. Anybody other than Stevens would be a let down. Does he want that cloud over his head at the time of his announcement (if it's not Brad)? 

I believe the 'it's not Billy Donovan' leaks came from the IU side; probably for this very reason.

If/When we hear rumors from our side shutting the door on Stevens is when we can have our hopes and dreams smashed. 

I'd like to believe if Beard was the target, he'd tell Dolson to wait until his team was ousted before talking...I'd like to believe that...

Just now, Maynard said:

Am I the only one not buying the certainty all of this Brad Stevens talk?  Sure, if I squint really hard and look for "Brad Crumbs" I can concoct a scenario where it is plausible.  I just find it much more likely that this is a replay of Billy Donovan all over again.

The most compelling piece of "evidence" so far is Brad's presser before the Jazz game.  He seemed like someone really considering what it would be like to come home.  The timing seems right from an outsider's perspective.  I don't find it unreasonable that Stevens would consider IU.  I just think that the excitement is way overblown for the evidence presented.  In other words, quit getting me excited that this might happen, my kids keep asking me why my eyes are watering!

Its fair to be pessimistic about it, but I think the biggest piece of evidence is that there are multiple sources saying that he is open to talking with IU about the job when he was not the last time. That was the first big hurdle

45 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It’s only been a couple days and I’m already going crazy. I can’t imagine what things will look like if this drags on until June lol

This won’t drag on that long, because he’s either going to come here, or he won’t. It isn’t fair to either the Celtics or the IU program for that to take place. If his heart isn’t in Boston anymore, he’ll leave soon. Only way this can happen.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd like to believe if Beard was the target, he'd tell Dolson to wait until his team was ousted before talking...I'd like to believe that...

+1 If it is not Brad, we may be in for a long haul... because rumors of Brad would be perfect cover to recruit Beard or one of the other coaches in the tournament.