Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

20 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yep, I’ll admit I took the bait on Donovan (although I still think he could’ve been our coach if Glass didn’t give him a deadline) but this is way way different.

I have a relative who claims to be connected to an IU booster, and he was giving me updates in 2017. He told me early in the morning the day Archie was hired that it was going to be Archie, so I feel like he was actually getting pretty good info. He also said that they thought they had a legit shot at Donovan for a while. So again, take it with a grain of salt, but that led me to think that they really were in on BD.

I have heard nothing from him this time around though.

11 hours ago, IUrocker said:

My Purdue friends and co-workers are gonna be so p***ed off and jealous...poor fellas. Lol 

I freakin love Scott Dolson. Dude just brought Indiana basketball back to life. 

Purdue losing Micah to another team in the B1G AND having Stevens take over at IU has to be making their stomachs turn. 

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If there was nothing to this wouldn't the Celtics have Brad's PR team send out a release completely shutting it down? Seems like something you'd want to nip in the bud.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

@BGleas is a member here now, and moderating over at HSN (that site crashed and has been down for an extended period). He used to work for the C's and has a lot of good insights. If he posts on this it's worth giving his thoughts the benefit of the doubt. My understanding is the C's don't do that kind of press release, but I'll defer to Gleas if he posts --

Edited by HoosierHoopster

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

It's crazy, if not scary, to think of how Stevens would change the perception of this program overnight if he comes. IU would immediately become the It team, for recruits, ESPN, etc., up there with UK and Duke. With his NBA pedigree, Stevens would have his pick of 5 star talent, and could also skim the cream of the Indiana HS pipeline every year to fill in around the 5 stars with outstanding, four-year type program guys.  

I realize this is all just stating the obvious, but wow, if this actually happens, the sky's the limit.

That’s al been running through my head, but I can’t wait to see him guide the team and walking the sideline in IU gear. Most likely a suit and RED tie!!!!

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

If there was nothing to this wouldn't the Celtics have Brad's PR team send out a release completely shutting it down? Seems like something you'd want to nip in the bud.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

And there is about a million other examples of "smoke" this is just one of them. A good one though and one we haven't necessarily brought it up. Good post. 

Just now, Travis Scott said:

First off, I hope it's Brad. I really do. 

But, I just don't want there to be one of two things to happen...

1) We get Brad and expectations are through the roof from the start and fans start questioning his abilities. He wouldn't be coming into a perfect situation and would need some time to right the ship. His name's Brad, not God. 

2) We don't get him, get a really qualified coach still, and yet aren't 100% behind him as we feel there was a big letdown. 

To your first point, I agree people need to temper expectations a bit, but I also think him coming back alone will do a ton for recruiting.. most specifically being able to land a lights out PG. 

38 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think it’s worth noting IU tests people religiously especially in Athletics.  Any IU contacts that could have had met with Brad in Dec would have been fully tested and would have documentation to back it up.  So any meeting in a closed area would not have broken protocol and could have easily shown a history of negative tests.

More importantly probably for whether that dinner took play is that I believe it would have been against the NBA Covid protocols. 

I know this was talked about a little bit, let’s say Stevens agrees to take the IU job after season ends. Can something like that be announced early with him continuing to coach his team? I don’t see how IU athletics could go though the rest of March , much less April, May and June without letting us know what direction they are heading.

Brad has an obligation to coach the Celtics and was just given an extension last year. It would have to be an exit deal right? This is my common sense side coming out of me while things are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I know this was talked about a little bit, let’s say Stevens agrees to take the IU job after season ends. Can something like that be announced early with him continuing to coach his team? I don’t see how IU athletics could go though the rest of March , much less April, May and June. It would have to be an exit deal right? Brad has an obligation to coach the Celtics and was just given an extension last year. This is my common sense side coming out of me while things are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Once that gets out, he cannot keep coaching the team. There is just no way.