Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

6 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

Would a meeting such as this in late December 2020 between game dates have met any NBA or franchise COVID protocols?

sure, St Elmos was open and at the time you could sit multiple people at a table(probably caped at say 4 per table).  Their hotel is about 2 blocks from St Elmos too(met Brad and players multiple times over the last 4 years at their hotel when they arrive, going to/from games and when players/coaches go out for a evening).  

St Elmos is an approved restaurant in Indianapolis for visiting NBA teams per their rules that were established for this year 

Edited by dwtaylor1055

2 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

So just to catch up, Brad accepted and right now it's just a matter of IU and Boston working out a buyout agreement. And Ainge will likely be a tough negotiator ?

I mean, according to Insiders here, the deal is done.  Everything else in your post is speculation.  

I still wouldn't bet your life on it, but there seems to be a lot of smoke. 

He didn’t say it was Dolson. He said influential brass. That could be anyone at IU. That could be an assistant AD, athletic board member, or a trustee like say Quinn Buckner who nobody would think much about since he works for the Pacers and Fox Sports. 

14 minutes ago, ViaSwiss said:

image.thumb.png.c5e800207d1c679a9e8f9c0e6719d34b.png

This was only nine games into the season. Maybe "heavy hitters" doesn't refer to Dolson or other IUAD administrators?

Just seems odd when there was still plenty of season left. Heck, I wasn't convinced we should move on until we started that final downward spiral. So what the hell do I know? LOL. 

Just now, hoosierdogg said:

Would a meeting such as this in late December 2020 between game dates have met any NBA or franchise COVID protocols?

Good Q. 

At home, players and staff are forbidden to enter bars, lounges or clubs, attend live entertainment or game venues, or visit public gyms, spas, pool areas or large indoor social gatherings that exceed 15 people, as per NBA's COVID-19 memo. These rule might be a cause for inconvenience for the players, but it will certainly ensure that they are safe. 

On the road, players, coaches and staff will be permitted to dine outside their hotels if the restaurants provide outdoor dining, have fully privatized indoor rooms, or have met requirements to be formally approved by the league and the players’ union. The NBA and NBPA will work to provide a list of at least three approved restaurants in each market.

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

This was only nine games into the season. Maybe "heavy hitters" doesn't refer to Dolson or other IUAD administrators?

Just seems odd when there was still plenty of season left. Heck, I wasn't convinced we should move on until we started that final downward spiral. Then again, so -- what the hell do I know? LOL. 

But everyone would agree.. if you can get BS you get him, yeah? 

9 minutes ago, Shoes_N_Shorts said:

I have a hard time believing that this could take place and NO ONE heard or saw a thing. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it strains credulity.

He could’ve been done easily and nobody would know. I’d bet it wasn’t Dolson at the dinner.

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Just seems odd when there was still plenty of season left. Heck, I wasn't convinced we should move on until we started that final downward spiral. Then again, so -- what the hell do I know? LOL. 

If Stevens was upset about how the offseason went then he could have been looking at that point. Indiana people probably were not going to turn down a chance to meet with Brad Stevens at any time. 

As far as league covid protocol it seems they are allowed to go out to eat at certain places while they are on the road the league approves 3 restaurants per city, and I am sure St Elmos is one of them in Indianapolis.

1 minute ago, ViaSwiss said:

Good Q. 

At home, players and staff are forbidden to enter bars, lounges or clubs, attend live entertainment or game venues, or visit public gyms, spas, pool areas or large indoor social gatherings that exceed 15 people, as per NBA's COVID-19 memo. These rule might be a cause for inconvenience for the players, but it will certainly ensure that they are safe. 

On the road, players, coaches and staff will be permitted to dine outside their hotels if the restaurants provide outdoor dining, have fully privatized indoor rooms, or have met requirements to be formally approved by the league and the players’ union. The NBA and NBPA will work to provide a list of at least three approved restaurants in each market.

These protocols would reinforce the theory that this meeting could have been done incognito.

2 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

I mean, according to Insiders here, the deal is done.  Everything else in your post is speculation.  

I still wouldn't bet your life on it, but there seems to be a lot of smoke. 

Exactly . I am cautiously optimistic. I now the two posters Chris and 0708 to be reliable and are not people who would purposely mislead. Anything can happen but I feel good that both parties have communicated and there is interest.

3 minutes ago, ViaSwiss said:

Good Q. 

St. Elmo's is on the approved list.

https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/43113687/indy-restaurants-approved-for-visiting-nba-teams

I’m convinced. Brad started a legacy at Butler, never won it all. Moved to Boston, didn’t win. This is more than money - a sleeping giant is asking him to come on board for 25-30 years and make more money than several generations could ever spend. Legacy is why this happens. Oh, and millions and millions of pesos.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

That isn’t far from what I’ve been told, at least timeline wise.  I didn’t ask for details on where they ate or anything.  And trust me if St Elmos wants to hide people during a pandemic it wouldn’t be that hard.  Manning has said many times he had a secret entrance and exit from that place.  

Could have been Buckner since he is the Pacers announcer and no one would thought anything about it.