Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Timeline is still a little sketchy and so is his current contract with the Celts.  He can’t just quit because just like Andrew Luck did, if he came back he would still be “owned” (for lack of a better term) by the team that has him under contract.  It’s an odd contract but Boston fans being angry and playing like crap will help.

He's given them 8 loyal years.  The Celtics are mediocre and many of the fans want him fired.  Why wouldn't Danny just release him now if that's what he wants?  The Celtics aren't doing anything this year and Kevin McHale is available. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Imagine if that did happen and they had a nice playoff run the recruiting tool that would be and the exposure our program would get.  

I somehow doubt that would happen though.  If he takes the job, he comes asap IMO.  

Yeah I agree. Honestly, he has already had good playoff runs just not the title. Same at Butler. I’d take final fours and a chance at a national title. I think he will get over the hump at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

It's a seriously good show. They are great guys. Been listening to them for years now in previous iterations of their podcast.

I liked the "Come home Brad" request and the explanation about how doing well in basketball outside of Indiana does not really count (like a tree falling in a forest...)!

Edit: And how he was willing to return to Indianapolis to cover Indiana High School Basketball if they offered him the money!

Edited by Evariste Galois

11 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

So what is it about Stevens that makes him the ultimate home run? Looking to know peoples opinions on exactly why we think he is the hire that would blow the roof off assembly. Is it the Butler years? The b2b FF’s, 10 years ago? His college HC experience really wasn’t that long. What? Like 6 years total? Is it the NBA experience? Is it coaching style? I’m legit interested to hear everyone’s take on why BS is the be all end all of head coaches. Can he regain the magic here? Has his time in the league changed what made him successful in the college ranks?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He went to the NCAA Championship game the year after Hayward. His best player that year was Shelvin Mack, who never cracked an NBA starting lineup.

Because I remember the Billy Donovan runaway train four years ago, I'm not getting my hopes up too much -- only because I don't want to be disappointed. Although TBH, I didn't think there was a lot of truth to that BD rumor anyway. But if -- and to me, it's still a big if -- this Sevens thing is true, I'm very curious as to how it will work ... 

Does he resign from the Celts and head to B-town in a matter of days? 

Does he accept Dolson's offer, then attempt to finish out the NBA season? Or try to finish the season? Would Danny Ainge pull a Bo Schembechler and say, "I want the Celtics to be coached by a Celtics man" and tell him to hit the bricks? 

If he does try to finish out the season, he would have to assemble a staff to take care of things at IU until he arrives, correct? If so, can we have faith he'll be focused enough on us to put in enough due diligence to put together a solid staff? 

What if he does take the job, then finishes out the season in Boston -- and the Celts go on a deep playoff run. Does he get cold feet? 

If there's a good chance this will happen, we won't be waiting till May or June to find out he's officially our man, will we? That just seems implausible. 

I believe when Pitino left Beantown for Louisville, he resigned immediately -- didn't finish the season. 

Yeah Boston has no hope. They won’t make any moves at the trade deadline either, they never do.

Fighting to stay above .500 and the whole roster is basically healthy minus some maintenance  from the old farts on their team. Celtics are a lame duck and that’s not changing next summer either. They have zero dollars to spend. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Timeline is still a little sketchy and so is his current contract with the Celts.  He can’t just quit because just like Andrew Luck did, if he came back he would still be “owned” (for lack of a better term) by the team that has him under contract.  It’s an odd contract but Boston fans being angry and playing like crap will help.

Is that part of the reason IU retained Marshall, Hunter, and Roberts to help run things for the time being. Otherwise that would put them in a bad spot to start finding new jobs if they wait around and the new coach decides to move in a different direction.

Just now, Feathery said:

Yeah I agree. Honestly, he has already had good playoff runs just not the title. Same at Butler. I’d take final fours and a chance at a national title. I think he will get over the hump at some point. 

Yep. I look at it like this...

Brad will have IU competing for final fours/championships every few years like Knight did for most of his coaching tenure at IU and even when the talent level isn't that caliber, IU will still be making the tourney and perhaps winning a couple games. I think IU will be back to making the tourney every year instead of hoping we make it, like what has happened for much of the past twenty years.

My first reaction is his instant recognition with recruits.  He's taken a team (a mid-major at that) to the NCAA championship game twice and he's coached arguably the most iconic NBA franchise for 8 years.  I still think he coaches outside of the box a lot.; I see it with his inbound plays.  I think he could be very successful at Indiana
And he's got the right personality for the job. He also won't embarrass the university. He will bring in good people that also won't embarrass the university. There is no guarantee with a coach but I can't think of anyone else currently that I'd feel more confident about. Still not 100% sold it's a done deal yet but I HOPE it is because that'd be freaking cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

So what is it about Stevens that makes him the ultimate home run? Looking to know peoples opinions on exactly why we think he is the hire that would blow the roof off assembly. Is it the Butler years? The b2b FF’s, 10 years ago? His college HC experience really wasn’t that long. What? Like 6 years total? Is it the NBA experience? Is it coaching style? I’m legit interested to hear everyone’s take on why BS is the be all end all of head coaches. Can he regain the magic here? Has his time in the league changed what made him successful in the college ranks?

He has "it". Gregg Popovich is one of the all time greats, and he loves Brad Stevens.  He is a major name nationally and gives us instant credibility as a serious program again.  He will never live up to the fantasies that this fan base is cooking up in our heads, but we know this, and will always look at where we were and how things are better again because of a guy like this.  It's possible that he doesn't do well here, but at this moment, right here, right now, knowing what we know, he is without a doubt the best option.  If we could see into the future, than decisions are easy. If he comes here, could anybody say this was a bad hire?  Nope. This is as unanimous a decision as there will ever be in sports. 

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I hope you guys are tracking flights.  Not just out of Bloomington either! 

Have you seen an interesting flight or just saying to keep watching to see what happens?

Because I remember the Billy Donovan runaway train four years ago, I'm not getting my hopes up too much -- only because I don't want to be disappointed. Although TBH, I didn't think there was a lot of truth to that BD rumor anyway. But if -- and to me, it's still a big if -- this Sevens thing is true, I'm very curious as to how it will work ... 
Does he resign from the Celts and head to B-town in a matter of days? 
Does he accept Dolson's offer, then attempt to finish out the NBA season? Or try to finish the season? Would Danny Ainge pull a Bo Schembechler and say, "I want the Celtics to be coached by a Celtics man" and tell him to hit the bricks? 
If he does try to finish out the season, he would have to assemble a staff to take care of things at IU until he arrives, correct? If so, can we have faith he'll be focused enough on us to put in enough due diligence to put together a solid staff? 
What if he does take the job, then finishes out the season in Boston -- and the Celts go on a deep playoff run. Does he get cold feet? 
If there's a good chance this will happen, we won't be waiting till May or June to find out he's officially our man, will we? That just seems implausible. 
I believe when Pitino left Beantown for Louisville, he resigned immediately -- didn't finish the season. 
Thought same thing about a deep run. What if he got them to the Finals somehow? Does he still leave? Doubtful

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Have you seen an interesting flight or just saying to keep watching to see what happens?

I haven’t seen anything but it’s the start of the tourney and Brad is off today.

What is the point in tracking flights? Seems like an unhealthy obsession that has very little to no upside with a whole lot of unwarranted excitement. I guess I'll just never get that. Almost seems like following your middle school crush on your bicycle then jumping in bushes to watch where she's going.

30 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

There are a couple things outside of how much I like his coaching style and the b2b championship game runs. First he beat the doors off Crean’s #1 ranked team in the crossroads. He made adjustments and knew Jordan Hulls couldn’t guard Barlow so he drew up a simple isolation play for him and game over. The second point is the success he had with Rosevelt Jones. The guy couldn’t shoot a lick and ended up scoring 1500 points at Butler. Stevens can really get the best out of player and team. Just two examples out of many. 

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is the type of arrangement that allows NBA/NFL/MLB coaches to be traded for draft picks etc. It also prevents him from “quitting to coach a college team” and then taking the Lakers job a week later because whoops I left my contract 

They won’t want to keep him if he wants to leave but it’s something to negotiate around. Maybe they don’t own his coaching rights as a result of the split BUT he agrees he won’t coach in the NBA for ## years under $ penalty or something.