Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

54 minutes ago, Southside said:

I'm just hoping Phin or Lander steps up at the point. I don't see either playing much wing though. I think Johnson will be a good wing that can also handle the ball if needed, and Stewart as a good wing with size (and also a decent handle). Yup, Race and Hunter at the 4. Also hoping Leal and Galloway develop too at the wing. Both have decent size but are different players. Love Galloway's effort, but he sorta looks out of control at times lol. Both should get good minutes. Really really hope Leal turns into a sniper.

I don't know about that. He averaged 5.72 assists last year. AVERAGED that on a Pitt team that went 10-12. I think you want the ball in his hands- dishing, taking it to the rim or shooting (in that order.) Maybe IU runs 2 point guards or something, but Lander would have to make an enormous leap to play anything besides PG and needs to get better even to play much at point. Rob is capable, but something is missing there, confidence, health? I don't know, but he is only a PG in my mind too. Not skilled or big enough to do anything else. 

Long story short, I expect Johnson to be the starting PG for IU with Rob & Lander fighting for back-up mins. If any two of them are on the floor at the same time IU isn't gonna be as effective offensively, IMO.  

"Player Decision " edit: I am a little surprised Rob hasn't explored leaving, not that I want him to. 

4 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I don't know about that. He averaged 5.72 assists last year. AVERAGED that on a Pitt team that went 10-12. I think you want the ball in his hands- dishing, taking it to the rim or shooting (in that order.) Maybe IU runs 2 point guards or something, but Lander would have to make an enormous leap to play anything besides PG and needs to get better even to play much at point. Rob is capable, but something is missing there, confidence, health? I don't know, but he is only a PG in my mind too. Not skilled or big enough to do anything else. 

Long story short, I expect Johnson to be the starting PG for IU with Rob & Lander fighting for back-up mins. If any two of them are on the floor at the same time IU isn't gonna be as effective offensively, IMO.  

"Player Decision " edit: I am a little surprised Rob hasn't explored leaving, not that I want him to. 

I could see Johnson playing the point on offense and Rob moving over to the 2 guard on offense if he can regain his shot...and then defensively it switching with Rob guarding the point and Johnson guarding the 2 guard.

14 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Like I said earlier, I think XJ can handle the point if Phin or Lander can't step up. 

the problem is though, if XJ is at point, we'll have a newbie at one of the wings. XJ played pretty good as a 2 his freshman year. His numbers went a bit down when he moved to point. His assist rate is nice though. I just think Lander and Phin are options 1 and 2 and point (in either order). And sounds like the coaches want to make it work with Phin. And you have to think they talked Lander up too given his return. XJ will be a good wing that can also run the ball if needed. I do think Woodson wants 2 guys with a good handle on the floor at the same time. And I think having one of Lander/Phin + XJ gives them strong penetration ability. Doesn't matter to me if that's to the rim, or dishing, or shooting. It's just nice to have 2 guys that run the ball and not being limited to one guy. It would open up the 41 nicely IMO.

It'll be interesting, and I can see several possibilities. My gut at this time says Phin/Lander+XJ+Stewart+Race+TJD.

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Coach Hunter said today that CMW likes for different people to bring the ball up the floor on each possession. So I can see Rob, KL, XJ, and Parker all bringing it up at different times. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I could see Johnson playing the point on offense and Rob moving over to the 2 guard on offense if he can regain his shot...and then defensively it switching with Rob guarding the point and Johnson guarding the 2 guard.

This.  Rob makes awful decisions with the ball.  I'd rather just see him as a spot up shooter on offense at the 2.

This.  Rob makes awful decisions with the ball.  I'd rather just see him as a spot up shooter on offense at the 2.

Rob played liked a confused player stuck in slow motion on offense. I hope that’s Archie’s fault. Defense was always strong for his size. He also seemed terrible in the fast break. Not sure that’s Archies fault.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Did anyone else hear Coach Hunter say that Parker Stewart was 20 for 21 on 3’s during a shoot around? That was music to my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Does sound nice but my 14 yo son hit 11 in a row last night after practice and he wasn’t even a starter on his 8th grade team. Ha.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Does sound nice but my 14 yo son hit 11 in a row last night after practice and he wasn’t even a starter on his 8th grade team. Ha.

I once watched Jermaine O’Neal hit something like 30 in a row of those fifteen footers he loved so much.  Didn’t help him come gametime. 

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Rob played liked a confused player stuck in slow motion on offense. I hope that’s Archie’s fault. Defense was always strong for his size. He also seemed terrible in the fast break. Not sure that’s Archies fault.

Every game Rob would dribble with his head down and then pick up his dribble with no idea where the ball would go next.  He dribbled himself into trouble constantly.  Is that on Archie?  That just seems like basketball iq to me.  I know Archie should have coached him out of it, but he should have never put himself in those positions at this stage of basketball either.  Just a really ugly marriage of low iq player and low iq coach.  Maybe Woodson can coach him out of it, but I'm not confident of that really.

I get it. Watched him a ton in high school and he completely had the "it" factor. 

Guy was/is a player for sure. His massive poster in high school that wound up on SportsCenter’s Top Ten was on a kid from my alma mater. The family didn’t take well to the Internet reactions afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Guy was/is a player for sure. His massive poster in high school that wound up on SportsCenter’s Top Ten was on a kid from my alma mater. The family didn’t take well to the Internet reactions afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who was that dunk against?

13 hours ago, Geometry Hoosier said:

Did anyone else hear Coach Hunter say that Parker Stewart was 20 for 21 on 3’s during a shoot around? That was music to my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wont forget the smirk TJD had in his press conference, when asked about Parker Stewart. Like he knows something that we dont about him.