Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If Brunk's only job is to backup TJD, then at most he's getting 6 minutes/game on average.  TJD averaged 34 minutes per game.  The reason that Thompson would get more PT comes from the fact that he is likely to be able to play alongside TJD than Brunk is.  We tried Brunk alongside TJD two years ago (and, yes, I realize it was a Miller offense)....all it did was clog the middle.  Race at least can shoot outside of five feet....Brunk not so much.

It isn't about wanting Race to be the backup five, it's the fact that from Brunk's perspective it really accepting the role to only be a backup 5.  Brunk can't play any other position and I don't think our best lineups would be with him starting at the 5.  So while the preference may be to have Brunk backup TJD instead of Trayce, that doesn't make sense from Brunk's POV to do so.

I also think that we need to look beyond the Big Ten and see that by and large, teams aren't looking for seven foot slow centers to win.  I think it's part of the reason that the Big Ten failed in the tournament.  

That, and they can't play tackle football in the tournament.

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If Brunk's only job is to backup TJD, then at most he's getting 6 minutes/game on average.  TJD averaged 34 minutes per game.  The reason that Thompson would get more PT comes from the fact that he is likely to be able to play alongside TJD than Brunk is.  We tried Brunk alongside TJD two years ago (and, yes, I realize it was a Miller offense)....all it did was clog the middle.  Race at least can shoot outside of five feet....Brunk not so much.

It isn't about wanting Race to be the backup five, it's the fact that from Brunk's perspective it really accepting the role to only be a backup 5.  Brunk can't play any other position and I don't think our best lineups would be with him starting at the 5.  So while the preference may be to have Brunk backup TJD instead of Trayce, that doesn't make sense from Brunk's POV to do so.

I also think that we need to look beyond the Big Ten and see that by and large, teams aren't looking for seven foot slow centers to win.  I think it's part of the reason that the Big Ten failed in the tournament.  

Well, one could say TJD played 34mpg because Brunk wasn't available. The year prior, TJD was playing 30 and JB was playing 20. 

Honestly this has little to do with Race, except I don't see him as an effective 5 when TJD is out. He's like 225LBs. 

Ideally, I like the split 2 years ago. If Brunk and TJD were clogging the lane together, it just means that Archie didn't know WTF he was doing lol. Either that, or one of the two weren't listening. In Woodson's 41, if Brunk was playing off ball 5, I think TJD could be very effective at the 4 (Woodson wants TJD to work on his shot, so does TJD).

At the end of the day, I'd rather TJD be the floater between 4 and 5, and Race at 4, and Brunk at 5. I think it simply gives you more options, and allows your best best player to flex.

I really don't care about using a 7ft guy. Brunk was 6-11 anyway lol. But it's less about using a 6-11 guy at 5, and more about "not" using a 6-8/225lb guy at 5. I really don't care about size, I just want to win. But IMO Archie has done a disservice to TJD's potential NBA career due to the way he's been used.

41 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

That, and they can't play tackle football in the tournament.

Well, we had smalls playing 5 this year, didn't play tackle, and couldn't shoot. And couldn't even make the tournament lol. 

5 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Well Hunter is a career 32% 3 point shooter and a 64% career FT shooter. I think he could have a decent year but he's not going to be a star or anything because he doesn't have a secondary skill. He also hasn't shown he can beat anyone off the dribble. I also don't think he could guard me and that's the biggest problem. He has to be able to defend especially since IU doesn't have a rim protector at the center spot. I don't think it's a given anyone transfers. I just think this speaks to how much several guys not just Hunter need to improve. 

Those percentages on his outside shooting are really misleading. It’s easy to say a guy is x percentage, and not saying it’s unfair to point them out, but again he was shooting around 38 percent for much of the season and finished the last 10 games of the prior season shooting North of 40 percent. Then there’s the fact that CAM’s offensive “system” was, well, offensive to watch and devalued the outside game. What can Hunter, and others do in a system designed to free up outside shooting? You think Leal’s percentages show his actual shooting - no way, kid can absolutely shoot. Hunter’s D is not the best but it did improve, and look at a guy like Watford, got all kinds of flack his frosh and soph years for his D and inability to finish in traffic. How was he as a junior and senior?
Gotta give guys a chance and not make assumptions, Hunter will - imo - absolutely be better under Woodson. CAM’s offense was just bad for perimeter guys. Hunter has a lot of promise and that’s what I see. But enough on Hunter, damn Geronimo could turn into a monster player, really glad he’s back 

38 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Those percentages on his outside shooting are really misleading. It’s easy to say a guy is x percentage, and not saying it’s unfair to point them out, but again he was shooting around 38 percent for much of the season and finished the last 10 games of the prior season shooting North of 40 percent. Then there’s the fact that CAM’s offensive “system” was, well, offensive to watch and devalued the outside game. What can Hunter, and others do in a system designed to free up outside shooting? You think Leal’s percentages show his actual shooting - no way, kid can absolutely shoot. Hunter’s D is not the best but it did improve, and look at a guy like Watford, got all kinds of flack his frosh and soph years for his D and inability to finish in traffic. How was he as a junior and senior?
Gotta give guys a chance and not make assumptions, Hunter will - imo - absolutely be better under Woodson. CAM’s offense was just bad for perimeter guys. Hunter has a lot of promise and that’s what I see. But enough on Hunter, damn Geronimo could turn into a monster player, really glad he’s back 

Where do you get that he was over 40% during the last ten games? He was 11/34 from 3 for 32.3% over the last ten games last season. 

Percentages don’t tell the whole story, but through 55 college games he’s shooting 32% from 3. He could improve on that, and I hope that he does, but it’s a question mark. 

2 hours ago, Southside said:

Well, one could say TJD played 34mpg because Brunk wasn't available. The year prior, TJD was playing 30 and JB was playing 20. 

Honestly this has little to do with Race, except I don't see him as an effective 5 when TJD is out. He's like 225LBs. 

TJD played 30 and Brunk played 20 when Miller was coaching.  It 100% didn't work and clogged the lanes completely.  He also played Justin Smith at the 3 at the same time, putting three guys who couldn't shoot the ball at all.  There is zero chance that Brunk was ever going to get minutes anywhere near that now.

And, agree to disagree, of course it has something to do with Race.  The few minutes that Race will get at the 5 will be the matchup allows it.  It's not whether we prefer to have Brunk or Race backing up TJD....it's that Brunk doesn't want to back up TJD and basically not see the court much.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Where do you get that he was over 40% during the last ten games? He was 11/34 from 3 for 32.3% over the last ten games last season. 

Percentages don’t tell the whole story, but through 55 college games he’s shooting 32% from 3. He could improve on that, and I hope that he does, but it’s a question mark. 

No the season before last — and factoring in his shooting when he had just returned from missing an entire season from his condition is clearly misleading. Look you don’t have to agree with me, proof will he how be does next season but I’d bet you money he’ll do better — talk again this time next year 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'd put the over/under on his three point shooting percentage at 37% next year.  That would seem to be a normal progression.

I do think it's worth remembering how bad he was at the beginning of last year, which wasn't completely a surprise considering he hadn't played a game in over a year.  He started 2019-20 by going 3 of 23 from three.  Since that point, he's 41 of 113 from three, which is 36%.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

No the season before last — and factoring in his shooting when he had just returned from missing an entire season from his condition is clearly misleading. Look you don’t have to agree with me, proof will he how be does next season but I’d bet you money he’ll do better — talk again this time next year 

The season before that he went 8-22 from 3 for 36% over the last ten games. We don’t have to look at percentages from his first season at all if that season is misleading. He shot 34% from 3 on three attempts per game this past season. We’ll see how he does next year. I hope that he shoots it really well. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The season before that he went 8-22 from 3 for 36% over the last ten games. We don’t have to look at percentages from his first season at all if that season is misleading. He shot 34% from 3 on three attempts per game this past season. We’ll see how he does next year. I hope that he shoots it really well. 

2019-20, from 2/1 through the end of the season, that’s 11 games, he shot 10/22. The Feb 1 game was his breakout game that season, first game with real minutes, 28. That’s why I remember it and what I’m talking about, clearly well over 40 percent from that point to end of season and the stretch that mattered. 
He obviously didn’t end up at that level this  past season. As I said, I think that has to do at least in part with CAM’s offense. Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong, but I see a guy who given floor spacing and an offense that looks to use the perimeter can and has shot better than the stats you are pulling up. He’s better than a 32 or 34 percent shooter. End of the day we’ll see, he should have much better opportunity to shoot, and hey if he hits at 36 or whatever it will be improvement over last year m, thank God.

Just a fun guess on the roles our guys will have: 

Starters

Xavier, Parker, and TJD. Question marks on the last two spots. Trayce should be a Preseason All-American and a favorite for the NCAA POY. Xavier and Parker could have All-B1G potential. 

Bigger Role

Geronimo and Lander. Otherwise I think they both transfer. Not sure they are starters but I think they see at least 15 minutes a game. 

Decreased Role/Youth

Leal, Galloway, and Duncomb. Of those three Trey probably sees the most minutes with Duncomb second. Leal and Galloway are all for the program (stated they were staying no matter what when FCAM was fired) so I think both are fine with a year of a lesser role. Dumcomb will see minutes but I think TJD and Race see the most minutes at the 5. 

Question Marks

Phinisee, Hunter, and Thompson. All three have a role at this moment. Rob's started for three years. But does Woody throw a 6'1 guard out there with 6'3 Johnson and 6'5 Stewart? Eh, not as a starter. Maybe a 6th man role. Hunter is probably projected as a starter right now. Has ideal size. That being said I can see the staff bringing in a more talented 4. Not sure he sticks around because he would probably see less minutes than he did a year ago. As for Race, he has to develop a three point shot. Same obviously goes for Trayce but obviously he has more strengths to his game than Race. I can't see the staff throwing both Race and Trayce out there if one of them isn't a three point threat. As of right now, neither is. I think Race would be a lot like Rob, perfect off the bench. 

As for the last two spots, I see a 4 and a 6'5ish guard who can come off the bench and knock some threes down. My "wild card" to start next year is Geronimo. Not impossible if he improves. 

My predictions

Starting 5: Johnson, Stewart, Geronimo, Transfer 4, TJD

Bench: Phinisee, Thompson, Lander, Transfer or Fr. SG (6'4 to 6'6)

Plays Sparingly or as needed: Galloway, Duncomb, Leal

If my predictions are true I unfortunately don't see Hunter staying. I hope I am wrong. But again, I think somebody is going to be unhappy. Just not sure who. 

Starters

Xavier, Parker, and TJD. Question marks on the last two spots. Trayce should be a Preseason All-American and a favorite for the NCAA POY. Xavier and Parker could have All-B1G potential. 

Bigger Role

Geronimo and Lander. Otherwise I think they both transfer. Not sure they are starters but I think they see at least 15 minutes a game. 

Decreased Role/Youth

Leal, Galloway, and Duncomb. Of those three Trey probably sees the most minutes with Duncomb second. Leal and Galloway are all for the program (stated they were staying no matter what when FCAM was fired) so I think both are fine with a year of a lesser role. Dumcomb will see minutes but I think TJD and Race see the most minutes at the 5. 

Question Marks

Phinisee, Hunter, and Thompson. All three have a role at this moment. Rob's started for three years. But does Woody throw a 6'1 guard out there with 6'3 Johnson and 6'5 Stewart? Eh, not as a starter. Maybe a 6th man role. Hunter is probably projected as a starter right now. Has ideal size. That being said I can see the staff bringing in a more talented 4. Not sure he sticks around because he would probably see less minutes than he did a year ago. As for Race, he has to develop a three point shot. Same obviously goes for Trayce but obviously he has more strengths to his game than Race. I can't see the staff throwing both Race and Trayce out there if one of them isn't a three point threat. As of right now, neither is. I think Race would be a lot like Rob, perfect off the bench. 

As for the last two spots, I see a 4 and a 6'5ish guard who can come off the bench and knock some threes down. My "wild card" to start next year is Geronimo. Not impossible if he improves. 

My predictions

If my predictions are true I unfortunately don't see Hunter staying. I hope I am wrong. But again, I think somebody is going to be unhappy. Just not sure who. 

Yep. Would like to add an impact player to the Frontcourt if available.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Five Prime said:

Am I the only one who is skeptical of Stewart having a large impact?  I see people pencil him in as a starter but he is a huge question mark to me.  I wouldn't count on him being anything more than a role player. 

Was just thinking the same thing.  I am a wait and see on Stewart.  

Fife's comments about Rob Phinisee suggest Phinisee will be a key player next season. Whether he starts at point and Xavier Johnson plays at the 2 guard remains to be seen. But Fife is clearly high on Phinisee. As for Parker Stewart, we don't exactly what he will do. But we do know from his body of work that he is a capable outside shooter in a system that values outside shooting. And, he is one of the few proven capable outside shooters currently on this squad. Again, whether Stewart starts or not remains to be seen. But he will be a key player. It is too bad that Galloway and Leal aren't one player with the best qualities of each. Leal can shoot but lacks Galloway's athleticism. Galloway hasn't shown he can shoot anything but a layup and unless that changes, his role will be substantially reduced next season.

1 hour ago, Five Prime said:

Am I the only one who is skeptical of Stewart having a large impact?  I see people pencil him in as a starter but he is a huge question mark to me.  I wouldn't count on him being anything more than a role player. 

I've had him starting based off the reports of his ability to shoot and just the unknown part. We know what Hunter, Leal, and Trey will bring (minus the development they obtain this summer maybe). We need a 3&D guy and Parker might be the answer. Hunter is a 3 guy without the D portion LOL!

Johnson x Kristian x Parker x Race x TJD gives us offense which I think Woody will prefer over defense, minus his reputation as a defensive minded coach. 

10 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Starters

Bigger Role

Decreased Role/Youth

Question Marks

My predictions

I can't imagine Fife saying that Rob can be and sometimes is the best defender in the Big Ten and him not start or get a lot of minutes. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I can't imagine Fife saying that Rob can be and sometimes is the best defender in the Big Ten and him not start or get a lot of minutes. 

This.

I'm thinking we go with Rob, X, Race, Trayce,

and either Jordan, Parker, or Jerome.