Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

1 hour ago, madmax said:

Sad to see Brunk go. He wasn’t going to start, but he was also our biggest guy and can soak up minutes in the paint defending and being a solid presence. You can never have too much depth at the 5 in the Big Ten. I’d wager a guess that at some point next year we will wish we had him available.

Means more time for Logan Duncomb. I'm excited for him. 

49 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Rob is not going anywhere. Fife said we need to figure out how to get Rob's groove back. Said he can be the best defender in the big ten. 

Have to think the only other player could be Hunter. The rest have said they are returning. I can see a situation where if they bring in a stretch 4 type player he may feel over recruited. I hope they can hang on to him. 

Total guess but I have a feeling one of Galloway or Leal may be gone, with Galloway being the more likely option. I know they said they’re coming back but honestly I’m not sure how either really fit the guard play that Woodson would want. Leal has shooting value, but we have to honestly ask ourselves if these are the players that can take us far in the tournament and I just don’t see it from either. And I say that loving those guys, just trying to be realistic. Our guard play has to be elevated to the point where we have more Xavier Johnson’s that have some shooting ability. I think that is what we will see moving forward.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Have to think the only other player could be Hunter. The rest have said they are returning. I can see a situation where if they bring in a stretch 4 type player he may feel over recruited. I hope they can hang on to him. 

didn't hunter support the woodson hire on twitter? 

Just now, Trish said:

He tweeted in response to a clip of Woodson saying he wanted his team to be shooting more threes. He said something along the lines of "I'm gonna be letting it fly". So that sounds like he was on board from the get-go.

5 minutes ago, Trish said:

Yes. I'm just not sure if he's a guy that will play as much if he doesn't get any better-especially defensively. It doesn't matter what I think though it's what Woody and the staff sees. If what @Chris007said is true about going after a stretch 4 I can see his playing time dropping hence him wanting to transfer somewhere and play more. I think that is why Brunk left. He usually plays around 20 mpg. No way was he getting that this year. He would've been lucky to get 10 minutes a game. Same could be true for Hunter. I hope not. I think Jerome is a solid role player who can come off the bench and hit a few big threes a game. Just not sure he's the top 50/60 recruit we all wanted him to be. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Yes. I'm just not sure if he's a guy that will play as much if he doesn't get any better-especially defensively. It doesn't matter what I think though it's what Woody and the staff sees. If what @Chris007said is true about going after a stretch 4 I can see his playing time dropping hence him wanting to transfer somewhere and play more. I think that is why Brunk left. He usually plays around 20 mpg. No way was he getting that this year. He would've been lucky to get 10 minutes a game. Same could be true for Hunter. 

I miss the days when some of us on this board had dreams of Jerome being a 6'7" SG. I still think he's a good player, but I don't see him playing any minutes at the 2.

Just now, IGotMeAWoody said:

I miss the days when some of us on this board had dreams of Jerome being a 6'7" SG. I still think he's a good player, but I don't see him playing any minutes at the 2.

Could his injury have hurt him more than we think? Maybe. I was excited for him, Romeo, and Phinisee. Romeo was an obvious one and done but Hunter and Phinisee I thought would be All-B1G players. 

25 minutes ago, Trish said:

He made one comment but that’s it. He said “letting it fly” when Woodson talked about shooting threes. I don’t think that necessarily is supporting the hire or saying he’s staying at IU.

53 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Total guess but I have a feeling one of Galloway or Leal may be gone, with Galloway being the more likely option. I know they said they’re coming back but honestly I’m not sure how either really fit the guard play that Woodson would want. Leal has shooting value, but we have to honestly ask ourselves if these are the players that can take us far in the tournament and I just don’t see it from either. And I say that loving those guys, just trying to be realistic. Our guard play has to be elevated to the point where we have more Xavier Johnson’s that have some shooting ability. I think that is what we will see moving forward.

Hard to say for either. I didn't see enough from either to know and honestly neither did you. For both it will come down to how they develop this summer. As for if they will leave if that happens it better be there choice otherwise that won't turn out well to run off guys from the state that love being at and playing for IU. That right there is counter productive to what Woody is wanting to do in fixing the IU culture. I'm starting to think Hunter is a MAC player on offense and a DIII player on defense. He has 1 skill and that's it. So I think it'll be him if there is another transfer. That said I think a lot of players were misused in the past couple of years. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Could his injury have hurt him more than we think? Maybe. I was excited for him, Romeo, and Phinisee. Romeo was an obvious one and done but Hunter and Phinisee I thought would be All-B1G players. 

His injury certainly set him back. Another problem was he had Miller as his coach after that. Which one was the largest contributing factor will be seen after he plays for a different coach, be that Woodson or someone else.

Actually, this pertains to almost all of the player's on last season's team. Are they just not that good or was it mainly just the coaching? If a bunch of them make big jumps that would point to coaching. If they remain pretty much the same then it would be talent and/or injuries.

33 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Hard to say for either. I didn't see enough from either to know and honestly neither did you. For both it will come down to how they develop this summer. As for if they will leave if that happens it better be there choice otherwise that won't turn out well to run off guys from the state that love being at and playing for IU. That right there is counter productive to what Woody is wanting to do in fixing the IU culture. I'm starting to think Hunter is a MAC player on offense and a DIII player on defense. He has 1 skill and that's it. So I think it'll be him if there is another transfer. That said I think a lot of players were misused in the past couple of years. 

I did see enough for me. And possibly Woodson did too, I don’t know. It was a guess for me because Galloway is not a shooter and I have a hard time seeing Leal being anything other than a shooter. Maybe that will work, maybe not. I love both those guys and I know they love IU. But it is Woodson’s job to win at IU, not cater to players just because they want to be here. 

10 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I did see enough for me. And possibly Woodson did too, I don’t know. It was a guess for me because Galloway is not a shooter and I have a hard time seeing Leal being anything other than a shooter. Maybe that will work, maybe not. I love both those guys and I know they love IU. But it is Woodson’s job to win at IU, not cater to players just because they want to be here. 

I have watched Leal since junior high and I have never seen a high major player imo. Hope I'm wrong, but with saying that I don't see him going anywhere. Both parents for the university. 

I don't really understand the speculation on additional players transferring. I may have missed it, but I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate any additional transfers, and on Hunter, he stands to have a big year, not the opposite, he's a legit outside shooter and Woodson will be running sets and a system to integrate outside shooting, which, of course, CAM didn't. Not seeing any reason to speculate on him or the others transferring. JMO.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I don't really understand the speculation on additional players transferring. I may have missed it, but I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate any additional transfers, and on Hunter, he stands to have a big year, not the opposite, he's a legit outside shooter and Woodson will be running sets and a system to integrate outside shooting, which, of course, CAM didn't. Not seeing any reason to speculate on him or the others transferring. JMO.

Dane Fife said on the Hoosier Hysteric podcast the staff is still focused on the current players to see who is going to still be here on the roster. I think they finished watching tape and now having those hard conversations with players about roles