Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

I just don't understand this decision.  Would love to know what went on behind closed doors.  It was all set up perfect ready to roll.  My only thinking was he was worried about getting minutes here.  Makes me think PS might be pretty good.  Wait and see I guess.

You guys that are all down in the dumps over losing Franklin need to remember we can still add another player or two. This isn't as bad as people think. Did Franklin performance really fall off because he hurt his ankle or was he just not as good of player as it looked before? All things to consider. As a mature adult like most on here like to be i wish him the best. As a diehard iu fan I hope he rides the bench lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cd71 said:

I just don't understand this decision.  Would love to know what went on behind closed doors.  It was all set up perfect ready to roll.  My only thinking was he was worried about getting minutes here.  Makes me think PS might be pretty good.  Wait and see I guess.

Without seeing too many other posts in here, I think his game fits the slow pace of UV really well. He's not the type of player to get to the rim and make big decisions. He struggled with that heavily this year. He can improve but I think he's the perfect Virginia player. 

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

Without seeing too many other posts in here, I think his game fits the slow pace of UV really well. He's not the type of player to get to the rim and make big decisions. He struggled with that heavily this year. He can improve but I think he's the perfect Virginia player. 

I didn't really see it at first, but I think I am in agreement with this more and more. Although, I do think his draft stock would have increased more here with Woody's system. I see XJ creating and kicking a lot to open shooters...we know AF can knock down those shots. Thought this would have taken some pressure off AF to create on his own.

Just my .02

1 minute ago, Jim IV22 said:

I didn't really see it at first, but I think I am in agreement with this more and more. Although, I do think his draft stock would have increased more here with Woody's system. I see XJ creating and kicking a lot to open shooters...we know AF can knock down those shots. Thought this would have taken some pressure off AF to create on his own.

Just my .02

Yes, XJ should be much better at getting in the lanes and finding the open man. Kristian will be great at that as well. Rob is average at it so that's okay, he can improve still. 

I think we have some shot creators for others, but we have to find a way to shoot the basketball from behind that line that counts for 3 points! Losing our best shooter doesn't help. 

I'm thinking it's a style of play / fit decision for Frank. 

1 hour ago, Cd71 said:

As a multi-year player and a starter at IU, I doubt that Armaan Franklin was too worried about his role on the IU team.  Sure, he could improve.  Maybe even jump big like he did between years.  

I see it as he wanted a change.  He wanted to go to a program that had an established coach.  He wanted to do very well in a program in another conference that would raise his visibility.  He wanted a team that wasn't down on themselves.  

One poster has stated that Armaan was not happy during the last couple of weeks.  Maybe losing the last bunch of games turned his head.  Maybe the players getting boo'd off of the court in their last game was the last straw.

He is going to a program that has the pack-line defense.  So the transition won't be too tough on that side of the court.  He is a talent. He is well liked.  He puts forth the effort.  He can score in transition, shooting the 3, and is a good teammate.

He will be missed by yours truly. 

IU really needs shooters.   Among other things.

14 minutes ago, Trish said:

Al was the one that struggled with that, mightily.

Just now, bigrod said:

My understanding was that Stewart was eligible this past season. Maybe I missed something, but why didn't he play in any games?

Out here in fandom, we do not know.  But, it seems that he wanted to not play on the court last year.  Maybe, his grieving for loss of his father and his coach was really too much.  Maybe he wanted to get settled at IU.  Maybe he had other things to work out...like family, Covid-19, schooling, life plans, etc.  His life seems to be all very significant changes in the last two years.  That maybe was a lot for him to get his arms around.

He did practice with the team.  He did stay with the team for this year.  Hope that he does well.

My understanding was that Stewart was eligible this past season. Maybe I missed something, but why didn't he play in any games?

Was in an out of campus, needed a semester to get acclimated to the team and in game shape. Wouldn’t take it as much especially due to what went on this past fall with him and his family.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Totally agree

Another stat from Barovvik.....two point shots are are split into thee categories:  dunks, at the rim and 'far 2's'.  Far 2's are anything that isn't a dunk or at the rim. Typically the far 2's are the mid range game (say 4 feet to the inside of the three point line) and are usually the least efficient shot.  40% is a decent percentage typically in this range.  

Know who Indiana's player who was best at 'far 2's (I'm removing Trey Galloway, because he hit 57%, but that was only on 7 shots)?

Race Thompson, who made 45% (28 of 62).

Numers from bartovvik:
Franklin had 67 shots at the rim (or dunks), made 32 (48%).  35% of Franklin's shots were dunks or at the rim.
Durham had 61 shots at the rim, and made 26 (42%).  27% of Durham's shots were at the rim.
Phinisee had 54 shots at the rim or dunks, made 32 (59%).  27% of his shots were at the rim or dunks.
Lander had 6 shots at the rim, made 2 (33%).  only 9% of his shots were at the rim.
Xavier Johnson had 85 shots at the rim or dunks, made 49 (57%).  44% of his shots were at the rim.

Numbers for Al seem a little low. Oh, wait a minute....I guess driving in among three 6’9” dudes and having your off-balance 8-footer swatted to half court doesn’t count as a shot at the rim.

I kid, I kid....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, RatpigHoosier said:

Numbers for Al seem a little low. Oh, wait a minute....I guess driving in among three 6’9” dudes and having your off-balance 8-footer swatted to half court doesn’t count as a shot at the rim.

I kid, I kid....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No disrespect to Al because I really like the young man, but that is funny I don't care who you are.