Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

I wish the kid the best but I truly wonder what the deciding factor was for Franklin. I felt like there was so many positive
- Archie and his inept offense is gone
- His friends were all returning
- Coach Woodson is going to run a NBA style, up tempo offense. 
What in the world didn't he like? Was he loyal to Archie? 

Crowding in the backcourt.
Didn’t buy into Woody like the other have.
Mom.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't root for many players that transfer away from IU, but I will definitely be a fan of Armaan at UVA. Great kid, excellent player, and a classy program.

MUCH better choice than Illinois or L'ville for certain. At least he'll have to go to class in Charlottesville. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

I wish the kid the best but I truly wonder what the deciding factor was for Franklin. I felt like there was so many positive

- Archie and his inept offense is gone

- His friends were all returning

- Coach Woodson is going to run a NBA style, up tempo offense. 

What in the world didn't he like? Was he loyal to Archie? 

Maybe sold on the development of players at UVa under a proven coach?  Or the players that chose to be Hoosiers are all better and he knew that he would only get a few minutes per game because we upgraded the guards so much.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Maybe sold on the development of players at UVa under a proven coach?  Or the players that chose to be Hoosiers are all better and he knew that he would only get a few minutes per game because we upgraded the guards so much.

The proven coach part is something I thought of as well. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. 

19 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

I will settle for being in the minority and agree to disagree.

I think we all consider Mo Creek a Hoosier to this day. He transferred too and did what he believed what was best for him. It does not nullify the time spent in the uniform or with his teammates or positive impact he had on the community while here.

I don’t get the negative view of transfers overall though. Students transfer all of the time. Sometimes it’s just not the right fit. Again, doesn’t nullify the time spent at the university/classes taken/friends met. I have lifelong friends I met at IU who transferred from other schools. They still root for those schools and consider themselves “Buckeyes/Flyers/Jaguars/Seminoles/etc”... along with being a Hoosier. It’s not exclusive.

But I digress. My opinion. Don’t have to agree!

I think it depends on the circumstances of the transfer.  Mo was delt a crappy deck of cards by the big man upstairs.  He put in his time at IU, but the team passed him by and found a little success as transfer.  Al got his degree, so he met his obligation.  Actually, Justin Smith did to, I think.  If Armaan can't make Mike Woodson and his former teamates work for him, then good riddence.  

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

The proven coach part is something I thought of as well. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. 

Just read that UVA still has four and possibly five open scholarships if Tre Murphy heads to the NBA, after the Franklin commitment.  Things could get a bit crowded for AF in Charlottesville.

35 minutes ago, ray said:

I could be completely wrong, but I think Franklin left because he had decided to before the last seconds on the clock ticked away to officially end the season. Watch his face when the crowd begins to boo the players off the floor. He played injured and worked hard, and I’m sure being booed off the floor is not what he signed up for at IU. And, with knowing other players experienced the same thing and still want to return and play with pride as a Hoosier, it tells me he’s not as open to criticism as others might be (constructive or not). And, it seems Woodson is a straight shooter and tells it like it is (see TJD, Lander, and Johnson quotes).

I loved Franklin and his trajectory seemed exciting to say the least. I’m disappointed he left because I won’t care or know what happens to him now, but his departure makes me appreciate the others who want to prove something for themselves and for the program that much more. Guys like Rob, Leal, TJD, and Galloway should be remembered too. They never intended to leave Indiana.

You might be in to something about him not liking criticism. The Daily Hoosier had a story about his development over the summer. In it, someone, I think his brother, said how sometimes Franklin would get very upset and yell then hang up the phone because he didn't like what he was being told. It sounded like he still took the criticism and used it to improve but definitely didn't like hearing it.

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

You might be in to something about him not liking criticism. The Daily Hoosier had a story about his despondent over the summer. In it someone, I think his brother, said how sometimes Franklin would get very upset and yell then hang up the phone because he didn't like what he was being told. It sounded like he still took the criticism and used it to improve butt definitely didn't like hearing it.

Not everyone could play for RMK. Not everyone can play for Izzo either. To play for Woody, you’re going to have to take honest criticism and use it as motivation. In the future, kids that come to IU will know this going in. 

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Aren't those matchups determined by the conference standings from the previous year?

No, not even close. The match-ups are determined by games that  ESPN thinks will sell. We have been mediocre the past 6 years and have played FSU twice (when they were ranked 17th and 20th), Duke three times (ranked 7th, 3rd, 1st) and UNC (ranked 13th).  

30 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

No, not even close. The match-ups are determined by games that  ESPN thinks will sell. We have been mediocre the past 6 years and have played FSU twice (when they were ranked 17th and 20th), Duke three times (ranked 7th, 3rd, 1st) and UNC (ranked 13th).  

I bet they pit the Hoosiers against UNC next year. Two first year coaches. 

I bet they pit the Hoosiers against UNC next year. Two first year coaches. 

I appreciate the IU guys who withdrew from the portal and returned and the guys that never entered the portal. AF missed some games this year. He should absolutely understand you must have quality depth to be a successful team. Hopefully he didn’t leave because he didn’t want to face competition from PS. I hope the staff can bring in a productive replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I definitely won't be buying any Virginia gear or anything. But I'll keep track of what he's doing. I did the same for Smith. Did the same for Curtis Jones, Devin Davis, Hollowell, Perea, Jurkin, Hoetzel etc. Even Devan Dumes and Nick Williams. Never any ill will towards any of them. 

Devan Dumes didn't transfer from IU.