Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

9 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

And I'm not disagreeing with you either. I agree depth is necessary and we have been lacking that. I just think the idea of quality of depth is getting more and more difficult to keep.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

+1 

Difficult, but essential.

In other words you need guys like Al Durham on your roster to win at a high level....but they should be #11 or 12 not #2 or 3

1 hour ago, Trish said:

EXACTLY THIS!

We're returning most the the same players who struggled to shoot, handle the basketball, and defend. A new coach isn't going to change everything completely. While things look encouraging right now, Woodson has to win at a high level. Player development will determine this teams fate this next season. 

Don’t underestimate the HOF asshat who was the previous coach.    These guys didn’t just forget how to play basketball.  

I wonder how much 'shot-doctoring' this staff might be able to facilitate? I think Fife's shooting improved during his last couple of seasons, so it is possible. Mr. Woodson was a terrific shooter...he may know a thing or two.

7 hours ago, yogisballin said:

I truly miss these days! Got me to thinking. When is the last time the opposing coach got a tech against us? I cannot think of 1 right off hand.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Franimal last season at Assembly Hall. Made the technicals and won by 2. Cue obligatory Francredible Hulk pic.

1052957765_incrediblefran.jpg.4f1da4d5d9834a0568669e9d1d829db3.jpg

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Does he guard himself? 

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

If he does, he locks himself down.

FWIW, Trey played more minutes by far than any of our freshman last year.  You can debate whether he should have, but I guarantee you that you don’t get that kind of freshman minutes without effort.  I would expect to see a more effective offensive player in Galloway next year.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If he does, he locks himself down.

FWIW, Trey played more minutes by far than any of our freshman last year.  You can debate whether he should have, but I guarantee you that you don’t get that kind of freshman minutes without effort.  I would expect to see a more effective offensive player in Galloway next year.

I agree, and he did some things well that portend well for his development, I think. Got to the rim and finished well, positioned well on defense, not scared.

He needs to defend without fouling and fix his jumper, but IU’s depth next year should allow him a role he can fill more easily. I like him long-term as a secondary creator.

Just now, lillurk said:

I agree, and he did some things well that portend well for his development, I think. Got to the rim and finished well, positioned well on defense, not scared.

He needs to defend without fouling and fix his jumper, but IU’s depth next year should allow him a role he can fill more easily. I like him long-term as a secondary creator.

But it has to be a healthy Trey. He was never the same after the back injury

1 hour ago, Bankshot said:

I wonder how much 'shot-doctoring' this staff might be able to facilitate? I think Fife's shooting improved during his last couple of seasons, so it is possible. Mr. Woodson was a terrific shooter...he may know a thing or two.

I recall an interview that Fife gave way back when he was playing. He said that his shooting confidence absolutely cratered and he took a chance on meeting with a Sports Psychologist to try and find a solution. He said that his confidence returned and his shooting percentages recovered. Knowing that these Indiana kids can shoot the ball, but lack the confidence to actually make those shots...I hope Dane brings in the Sports Psychologist to maybe help these guy get their confidence back and allow them to be the best player they can be.

16 minutes ago, Myrmidon76 said:

I recall an interview that Fife gave way back when he was playing. He said that his shooting confidence absolutely cratered and he took a chance on meeting with a Sports Psychologist to try and find a solution. He said that his confidence returned and his shooting percentages recovered. Knowing that these Indiana kids can shoot the ball, but lack the confidence to actually make those shots...I hope Dane brings in the Sports Psychologist to maybe help these guy get their confidence back and allow them to be the best player they can be.

I remember towards the end of the season seeing a short video of Leal and Lander  after a game at AH on either end of the court taking 3 pointers, and both hit like 10 in a row. The guys on the team can shoot, they just need confidence to translate it to a game.

52 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

I remember towards the end of the season seeing a short video of Leal and Lander  after a game at AH on either end of the court taking 3 pointers, and both hit like 10 in a row. The guys on the team can shoot, they just need confidence to translate it to a game.

I hope that CMW can coach them up to stop thinking about basketball and start playing basketball.  I think a lot if the issues from last year were between the ears.  That said, Lander has to stop turning his feet away from the basket when he shoots.

19 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Im betting we dont see much of Leal or Galloway next season especially if we return Franklin or land a similar transfer.

That depends how much they improve!

Both have real potential, but got a little more run as freshmen than optimal. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

But it has to be a healthy Trey. He was never the same after the back injury

Yep.

Pre back injury: 15 games, 21.6 mpg, 28/61 from the field (46%), 68 points (4.5 ppg), 2.5 rpg, 1.9 apg. 

Post back injury:  11 games, 15.1 mpg, 7/23 from the field (30%), 22 points (2.0 ppg), 1.5 rpg, 0.9 apg.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That depends how much they improve!

Both have real potential, but got a little more run as freshmen than optimal. 

I like both and think either could carve out a role.

I am also SO excited to have an IU squad with the depth not to need to depend on a player (or two) who are a year (or two) away from being solid contributors.

The overwhelming bulk of minutes will go to players in at least their third year, except whatever time is carved out for a second year 5-star PG. if one of the other underclassmen gets high-leverage minutes, it will be because he earned them.