Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

43 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

Two takes I'm getting from seeing the players come back:

1) They've bought into Woodson (obvious one there). To be honest, this is a great sign for future recruiting if Woodson can easily sell his vision and goals to recruits.

2) The players seem to genuinely like each other.  It didn't seem like egos or a personality conflict was the reason for entering the transfer portal.  It was simply due to the uncertainty of the coaching change.

In regards to your first point, it seemed like Archie was never very convincing/pursuasive with recruits.  How many times was a commitment  believed to be imminent, but seemed to drag on and on, with  both players who did and didn't end up committing?

7 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?team=Indiana&run=1&player=&transfers=&seniors=&recruits=&everyone=

Roster Cast is a fun tool on Bart Torvik's site. You can play around with adding and subtracting different players to each team for next season.

With the additions of Race and Xavier Johnson the roster is rated #19 on his system. Without those two it is 34th, so took a pretty big jump in last 24 hours. 

Just tried what you did but I added Brooks too and it still says 34th. 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As for playing time and disappointment.  These young men aren't blind and can readily see what the make up of the roster will be and who they have to beat out for more minutes.  It is what it is.

You're right. But the real benefactors will be the guys that catch on to the new system the quickest.

I'm also wondering if Leal & Galloway might redshirt this year.

14 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?team=Indiana&run=1&player=&transfers=&seniors=&recruits=&everyone=

Roster Cast is a fun tool on Bart Torvik's site. You can play around with adding and subtracting different players to each team for next season.

With the additions of Race and Xavier Johnson the roster is rated #19 on his system. Without those two it is 34th, so took a pretty big jump in last 24 hours. 

I added Armaan and it goes from 19 to 18. So his system doesn't see this as big of a loss. Who knows. Can't add Keion for some reason. Not sure I see Brunk and Galloway contributing as much as the system thinks. 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Race's decision to return is a major surprise to me.  Figured he was really close to Miller and Ostrom and their departure would be the driving force for him to leave.

As for playing time and disappointment.  These young men aren't blind and can readily see what the make up of the roster will be and who they have to beat out for more minutes.  It is what it is.

We need to deemphasize this. If CMW cannot keep players that could be starting elsewhere happy coming off the bench, then we will never be a title contender. 

I expect role players on our teams to be drafted in the first round in a 3-4 years.

1 minute ago, Dalton26 said:

Just tried what you did but I added Brooks too and it still says 34th. 

Yeah I haven't figured out how to add him. He isn't in the transfer list or uncommitted players so you have to add him in manually and I haven't gotten it to work. 

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

You're right. But the real benefactors will be the guys that catch on to the new system the quickest.

I'm also wondering if Leal & Galloway might redshirt this year.

I would LOVE to see the red-shirt used. I understand that it's not the current culture, but a few guys could benefit and would alleviate the log-jam of playing time a bit. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Yeah I haven't figured out how to add him. He isn't in the transfer list or uncommitted players so you have to add him in manually and I haven't gotten it to work. 

Yeah I have a feeling manually adding doesn’t quite work, still a cool site to mess around with tho. 

I added a Chet Holmgren and Patrick Baldwin and we jumped to 8th lol

12 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I added Armaan and it goes from 19 to 18. So his system doesn't see this as big of a loss. Who knows. Can't add Keion for some reason. Not sure I see Brunk and Galloway contributing as much as the system thinks. 

10 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Keion isn’t in the portal (yet?) so you can’t add him unless you put “Keion Brooks Jr.;Kentucky” (spaced just like that, no quote marks) in the “add anybody” box.

We need to deemphasize this. If CMW cannot keep players that could be starting elsewhere happy coming off the bench, then we will never be a title contender. 
I expect role players on our teams to be drafted in the first round in a 3-4 years.
In today's landscape for every 1 player that understands the bigger picture you're referring to there are 2 that want instant results and won't stick around and wait their turn. IU generally has been fairly fortunate in these types of circumstances but I do believe if the 1 time transfer rule happens that won't be the case as often. As for this roster yeah they all know what is in front of them and they all probably believe they will win their minutes but some of them are certainly mistaken if that's the case. Hopefully the one's who don't win those minutes are the "bigger picture" types.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Yeah I have a feeling manually adding doesn’t quite work, still a cool site to mess around with tho. 

I added a Chet Holmgren and Patrick Baldwin and we jumped to 8th lol

I got it to work!

with Race, Xavier, and Keion it puts us at 15th. Add in Armaan and still 15th. 

You have to enter: Keion Brooks Jr.;Kentucky

Just now, rcs29 said:

In today's landscape for every 1 player that understands the bigger picture you're referring to there are 2 that want instant results and won't stick around and wait their turn. IU generally has been fairly fortunate in these types of circumstances but I do believe if the 1 time transfer rule happens that won't be the case as often. As for this roster yeah they all know what is in front of them and they all probably believe they will win their minutes but some of them are certainly mistaken if that's the case. Hopefully the one's who don't win those minutes are the "bigger picture" types.

I do not disagree with any of this.

I am simply saying that if our objective is a national championship in the near future we will have to transition from a team that is worried about playing time for everyone to one that has enough players to always be competitive. 

The problem with the way CAM recruited was that we were always a sprained ankle away from not being a tournament team. We should be a tournament caliber team with our second five. We now seem to think that CAM's approach to recruiting is gospel. 

Just now, Willkie71 said:

Knight talked a lot about the importance of having players competing at every position as the best way to motivate. Sounds like we may see that this year finally.

+1 

If we bring back Armaan and bring in Keion (for example), our practices should be tougher matchups than three quarters of our games... that is what I want to see.

I do not disagree with any of this.
I am simply saying that if our objective is a national championship in the near future we will have to transition from a team that is worried about playing time for everyone to one that has enough players to always be competitive. 
The problem with the way CAM recruited was that we were always a sprained ankle away from not being a tournament team. We should be a tournament caliber team with our second five. We now seem to think that CAM's approach to recruiting is gospel. 
And I'm not disagreeing with you either. I agree depth is necessary and we have been lacking that. I just think the idea of quality of depth is getting more and more difficult to keep.

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

And I'm not disagreeing with you either. I agree depth is necessary and we have been lacking that. I just think the idea of quality of depth is getting more and more difficult to keep.

+1 

Difficult, but essential.