Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

2 minutes ago, IGotMeAWoody said:

Love seeing that Race is staying. We shared a laugh together one time at the Circle K on 17th and College Ave. The lady at the register was screaming at two women, both of which were only wearing men's underwear as pants. (I know because I owned the Supermen pair one was wearing.) Guessing one was her daughter since they were talking about money or something. Register lady followed them out the door yelling, and kept walking after them leaving me at the counter and Race behind me. We both just looked at each other and said "What the hell was that?" 

............so they weren't wearing shirts??? lol

Two takes I'm getting from seeing the players come back:

1) They've bought into Woodson (obvious one there). To be honest, this is a great sign for future recruiting if Woodson can easily sell his vision and goals to recruits.

2) The players seem to genuinely like each other.  It didn't seem like egos or a personality conflict was the reason for entering the transfer portal.  It was simply due to the uncertainty of the coaching change.

I hope that between the two new guards, new coaching scheme and some offseason development we’re not only competitive but winning the close games we kept losing last year. However, while I’m glad to see kids buying into Woodson’s vision and some stability through the coaching change, this team has been pretty bad the last few seasons. I hope this isn’t setting up to be like Crean’s third, but I’m cautiously optimistic about a significant jump next year returning the same players from a bad team.

12 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I hope that between the two new guards, new coaching scheme and some offseason development we’re not only competitive but winning the close games we kept losing last year. However, while I’m glad to see kids buying into Woodson’s vision and some stability through the coaching change, this team has been pretty bad the last few seasons. I hope this isn’t setting up to be like Crean’s third, but I’m cautiously optimistic about a significant jump next year returning the same players from a bad team.

EXACTLY THIS!

We're returning most the the same players who struggled to shoot, handle the basketball, and defend. A new coach isn't going to change everything completely. While things look encouraging right now, Woodson has to win at a high level. Player development will determine this teams fate this next season. 

16 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Depends on how you look at it, imo. I don't think we need a significant jump to be a tournament team next year. In 2020 we went 20-12 and were pretty close to a lock for the NCAA tournament before it got canceled. With six games left in this past season, we were 12-9 while playing one of the hardest schedules in the country before collapsing over the last 6 games. We would've been a tournament team in 2020, and we should've been one in 2021. With a junior TJD and improved guard play in Stewart and Johnson, I think being a tournament team is a really reasonable goal for next season. I'm not sure if you were meaning higher expectations than just being a tournament team, though. 

21 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Hopefully we will be adding a healthy Brunk.  Really missed him this year.  I see it as we have added 2 new guards and a big in Brunk.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Depends on how you look at it, imo. I don't think we need a significant jump to be a tournament team next year. In 2020 we went 20-12 and were pretty close to a lock for the NCAA tournament before it got canceled. With six games left in this past season, we were 12-9 while playing one of the hardest schedules in the country before collapsing over the last 6 games. We would've been a tournament team in 2020, and we should've been one in 2021. With a junior TJD and improved guard play in Stewart and Johnson, I think being a tournament team is a really reasonable goal for next season. I'm not sure if you were meaning higher expectations than just being a tournament team, though. 

This team was closer than a lot of people think. Until mid-february each game was a battle going down to the wire. This team played in 5 overtime games including Wisconsin, Illinois, and Florida State. Then the wheels fell off and the team ran out of gas.

The BIG should not be nearly as deep next year and IU got better. A tournament team is easily my expectation. WIN NOW

9 minutes ago, rebelcc said:

Hopefully we will be adding a healthy Brunk.  Really missed him this year.  I see it as we have added 2 new guards and a big in Brunk.

Technically 2 bigs, since Duncomb will be a here as well.

Race's decision to return is a major surprise to me.  Figured he was really close to Miller and Ostrom and their departure would be the driving force for him to leave.

As for playing time and disappointment.  These young men aren't blind and can readily see what the make up of the roster will be and who they have to beat out for more minutes.  It is what it is.