Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

IU player on the team: " Love the guy, he is a key piece of the team moving forward."
IU player in the portal: "Punk is just an attention *****. He isn't even ranked high. If he doesn't want to be here fluck him."
IU player removes his name from the portal: "Love it, great player, great potential. Let's ********* Go!! "
About right

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

IU player on the team: " Love the guy, he is a key piece of the team moving forward."

IU player in the portal: "Punk is just an attention *****. He isn't even ranked high. If he doesn't want to be here fluck him."

IU player removes his name from the portal: "Love it, great player, great potential. Let's ********* Go!! "

Don't think that's progressed like that for any player this season. 

11 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I guarantee that they know each other in one way or the other since both are from Indy. I guarantee that they've been in some kind of contact. 

That's seems like a pretty big stretch. Maybe he's just been in contact with Yogi Ferrell about staying at IU?

13 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Ok, he's not a good shooter and 85 shots isn't enough sample size to make any assessments on. Let's kick him to the curb as he's easily replaceable because there's so many kids in the portal that are good shooters and play good defense. Happy now?

Considering none of the words in this little rant were said by me, are you happy now? Nowhere did I say he wasn’t a good shooter. You said that he took a high volume of threes last year. He didn’t. 3.9 a game is not high volume for a guard. Maybe it was in 2000, but it’s not in 2021. He took 85 threes last year. That doesn’t put him in the top 100 in attempts in college basketball. It doesn’t put him anywhere close. The guy in 96th place last year took 151 in the same number of games as Armaan. 

Franklin is a good player, but he isn’t irreplaceable. Heck, we might have two guards better than him on our roster right now. If Armaan wants to be an Indiana Hoosier next year, great. If he doesn’t, see ya. I’m perfectly content with our starting backcourt of Johnson/Stewart. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Considering none of the words in this little rant were said by me, so are you happy now? Nowhere did I say he wasn’t a good shooter. You said that he took a high volume of threes last year. He didn’t. 3.9 a game is not high volume for a guard. Maybe it was in 2000, but it’s not in 2021. He took 85 threes last year. That doesn’t put him in the top 100 in attempts in college basketball. It doesn’t put him anywhere close. The guy in 96th place last year took 151 in the same number of games as Armaan. 

Franklin is a good player, but he isn’t irreplaceable. Heck, we might have two guards better than him on our roster right now. If Armaan wants to be an Indiana Hoosier next year, great. If he doesn’t, see ya. I’m perfectly content with our starting backcourt of Johnson/Stewart. 

Ah, weirdly similar to my post where I compared him to the team and not nationally since our offense stunk. Of course he's not high volume compared to guys in modern offenses that actually hunt 3's. 

2 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Ah, weirdly similar to my post where I compared him to the team and not nationally since our offense stunk. Of course he's not high volume compared to guys in modern offenses that actually hunt 3's. 

Your initial post on this said nothing about high volume compared to the rest of the team. You stated “He also averaged 43% from 3 on high volume. That's not easy to replace.” 

It wasn’t until I said that 3.9 a game isn’t high volume that you compared him to the rest of the team. IU didn’t shoot threes last year. 90% of college teams took more than us last year. Like I said, shooting the most threes on a team that rarely shoots threes doesn’t make you a high volume three point shooter. 

But, ultimately it doesn’t matter. If you think 3.9 a game is high volume, go right ahead. I think Parker Stewart is going to come in and show us what a high volume three point shooter looks like. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your initial post on this said nothing about high volume compared to the rest of the team. You stated “He also averaged 43% from 3 on high volume. That's not easy to replace.” 

It wasn’t until I said that 3.9 a game isn’t high volume that you compared him to the rest of the team. IU didn’t shoot threes last year. 90% of college teams took more than us last year. Like I said, shooting the most threes on a team that rarely shoots threes doesn’t make you a high volume three point shooter. 

But, ultimately it doesn’t matter. If you think 3.9 a game is high volume, go right ahead. I think Parker Stewart is going to come in and show us what a high volume three point shooter looks like. 

I am sincerely sorry that I did not caveat my initial post enough for your liking. My point stands. Maybe Noah Locke could replace. After that, maybe you could enlighten me with other portal options that shoot 40% at a sufficient enough volume for your liking. 

11 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Don't think that's progressed like that for any player this season. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And by the way, the whole point of saying "high volume" originally was simply to say that he shot enough to conclude that he's a high level 3 point shooter who will be tough to replace in the portal. It wasn't to do a statistical breakdown against the rest of the country. Again, sincere apologies for not explicitly stating all that. I'll be sure to have more comprehensive posts going forward so that there's less room for nitpicking from yourself.

Get those mental gymnastics in when you can. Losing Franklin to another team would be big. Likewise, getting Franklin to return to add with what’s coming in would be big. Downplaying that is just wrong. 12-15 or 30-0, losing your beer shooter when you’re desperately in need of shooters is bad. It’s not that difficult to figure out.

Resort to the hater comeback in 3..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

56 minutes ago, Evariste Galois said:

I don't think so.... 

It can be hard to make decisions when you have good options in front of you. Franklin should take the time he needs to make the choice he feels comfortable with. In my opinion, the longer it takes, the better our chances become.

I agree with that last bit, especially because it sounds like he's still practicing with the team. That means he's getting a chance to get to know Woodson and Fife as well as get a feel for their coaching styles. This will give him an idea if he'll for the new system (I think he'd be ideal) and if they'd be able to help him develop his game. So that is an advantage IU has over the other schools. If he does end up leaving it can't be said that Franklin didn't give Woodson and company plenty of opportunities to convince him to stay; he did his due diligence.

36 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Plus Armaan showed that he can succeed in a similar style. He does well in the packline and managed to put up decent numbers in an offense that was atrocious. No reason to think he wouldn’t be successful at Virginia. 

Good points on system familiarity. He knows packline well, although he got beat off the dribble frequently.  His length helps with closeouts and deflections.  

Offensively he will still be in a slow, methodical, albeit much more efficient,  offense. Not sure how much higher his numbers would be due to pace.  The ACC isn't nearly as physical as the B1G, so maybe that is appealing. 

I still get back to the life after basketball factor.  Wings his size are pretty common. The odds of him having a lengthy NBA career are still low. One significant injury derails everything. If he stays committed to IU and is part of our resurgence,  he and his family are set up well for life due to relationships.  Not to mention, mama's social media standing does MUCH better in the state if he stays, assuming she values that.

7 minutes ago, goonaha said:

And by the way, the whole point of saying "high volume" originally was simply to say that he shot enough to conclude that he's a high level 3 point shooter who will be tough to replace in the portal. It wasn't to do a statistical breakdown against the rest of the country. Again, sincere apologies for not explicitly stating all that. I'll be sure to have more comprehensive posts going forward so that there's less room for nitpicking from yourself.

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I want players who want to be at IU. I want Armaan to want to be at IU, but if he doesn't then I'm not going to lose any sleep over his decision. Coach Woodson has been operating at a very high level since he took over the job and I have complete faith that he'll be able to replace Franklin's production. 

Plus Armaan showed that he can succeed in a similar style. He does well in the packline and managed to put up decent numbers in an offense that was atrocious. No reason to think he wouldn’t be successful at Virginia. 

I didn’t mean to imply he would be unsuccessful. More just, what about that system is more appealing at the moment considering he just left the generic version of it. But maybe he liked it and just wants a more proficient version of it. That and maybe he’s an outlier if this small sample size who just doesn’t connect with CMW as well as the others have.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app