Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

33 minutes ago, Jungle George said:

I am regularly checking this site to find updates regarding Armaan and Race. I hope they both come back, but either way just ready to see a resolution. 

There won't be an announcement if they are not coming back until they announce their new school. 

20 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I wasn't being negative and you can't say people are moving the goal posts if you're comparing posts from different people.   Using only posts from me, please show where i have moved the goal posts. 

I was meh when woodson was first hired but so far he has done well filling out 2 assistant positions and getting most players to stay with the team.  I was always on the boat to give him a chance and so far so good.

But I'm also not going to be rainbows and unicorns.  Yes, it was an accomplishment to hold on to tjd and the others.  But I also don't think it's the same as convincing a 5 star player to come play for him when that player has no connection to IU previously.  What Woodson has done so far is a good start.

If you want to call that negative, then fine.  But don't blame me for moving goal posts when that has no basis in facts. 

How about this, has anything transpired so far that has not fallen under the rainbows and unicorns column?  In my estimation, no.  Everything in the first two weeks has been fine.  Stop creating failures that have not happened yet.  "Receuiting these guys back to the team is easier than a 5* recruit."  Possibly.  In some instances it may be harder.  Some of these guys were involved in some of the worst failure theater in the history of the program.  They know the reality of Indiana.  Getting shitty messages on Twitter from fans.  Getting booed off the court in their last game.  They have a view of this program from the inside that a high school kid does not.  And for most of these guys, there has been quite a bit of negative here.

I think what I and some are saying is that things have gone well.  "Everything has been great so far but no 5* yet..."  And?  It has been 2 ******* weeks.  He doesn't even have a full staff yet, has to recruit back half of the team, and deal with a transfer market.  We are probably barely in touch with HS kids right now.  Yeah, he will need to do all the things you mentioned but you are out searching for reasons to be "mad", "pessimistic", or whatever label you want to put on it in the face of nothing but good news so far.

You may not be in this category, but if Franklin chooses to go elsewhere, there will be a slew of people who will use that as an indictment on Woodson when there are literally over 1,200 players in D1 looking to get out of their current situation.

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

I dumb-founded on how any IU fan could possibly think that this team won't perform light-years better than last year's team with the right coaching, motivation, and player improvement teaching. 

I heard similar sentiments in regards to Miller vs Crean. And it’s a dangerous mindset.  Setting anybody who doesn’t think Woodson will be successful as not really a fan.  The same way that people who didn’t believe in Archie were just negative and bad fans. 

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

How about this, has anything transpired so far that has not fallen under the rainbows and unicorns column?  In my estimation, no.  Everything in the first two weeks has been fine.  Stop creating failures that have not happened yet.  "Receuiting these guys back to the team is easier than a 5* recruit."  Possibly.  In some instances it may be harder.  Some of these guys were involved in some of the worst failure theater in the history of the program.  They know the reality of Indiana.  Getting shitty messages on Twitter from fans.  Getting booed off the court in their last game.  They have a view of this program from the inside that a high school kid does not.  And for most of these guys, there has been quite a bit of negative here.

I think what I and some are saying is that things have gone well.  "Everything has been great so far but no 5* yet..."  And?  It has been 2 ******* weeks.  He doesn't even have a full staff yet, has to recruit back half of the team, and deal with a transfer market.  We are probably barely in touch with HS kids right now.  Yeah, he will need to do all the things you mentioned but you are out searching for reasons to be "mad", "pessimistic", or whatever label you want to put on it in the face of nothing but good news so far.

You may not be in this category, but if Franklin chooses to go elsewhere, there will be a slew of people who will use that as an indictment on Woodson when their are literally over 1,200 players in D1 looking to get out of their current situation.

How was my statement creating failures?   Withholding full judgement on his recruiting isn't saying he failed.

I won't blame woodson if franklin leaves.   Woodson is just tasked with building the roster and winning on the court.  The transfer portal will give him chances to replace Franklin and build a roster with someone else.  Probably a good year to switch coaches given the portal activity and no one having to sit out.

In the long run, Woodson will graded on the big picture and how the finished roster looks now and down the road.  Right now all we have is a snapshot.

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I don't know anything more than their body language on the court and what has been stated by the players but I was getting the impression not many kids loved the former coach and that the exodus would have happened if we kept Archie.  

I think that is spot on.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The people on Facebook and Twitter need to just tone it down.  "We're IU and we should get whatever coach we want, we're too good to have landed Mike Woodson."  This coming from the same people who have been arguing how bad we suck for the past 20 years.  North Carolina has definitively been better than us over the past 20 years.  No competition really and I think, on paper, we had a better hire than them.  I was perusing the Kentucky forums for Brooks news and those guys are saying some stuff that just is not reality anymore IMO.  "Ha ha at Indiana and UNC, they go in the family and ignore these other options.  We're UK though and can get whoever we want."  Can you though?  The next hire at UK and the next at Duke are going to be real interesting.  You can win a title at Baylor and get paid a crap ton of money to do it.  And you can do that without a psychotic fanbase who believes it is their birthright to be in the Final Four every year.

The landscape is changing and I think we got the best hire we had available.  A bunch of the other guys we were pining after had baggage, are currently flavors of the month, or came from the same background as Woody but just left earlier.

I am happy with the direction of things for the first time in awhile.  We still have to go and win games but it at least looks like we have a plan and everyone is on board so far.

You are right people on those platforms could tone it down a skosh. They are the big reason behind Goodman's trolling.

I saw a FB post the other day that basically said, Everyone stop with the speculation posts, we will inform you of any hires or player moves! Some people cease to amaze me by their ego and lack of humility. Then there is the cesspool of Twitter "d" bags trashing the program that they profess they love, not even sure why I still have Twitter.

As for the pUKe fanbase, they are torn right down the middle and have been for some time now. I work with some decent pUKe fans and have discussions quite often. Half the fanbase wants Cal gone and stricken from history books, while the other half could care less if he stays or goes. Of course they are all not happy that they haven't won the championship every single year but I don't know who they would think would be an acceptable replacement for Cal.

Our hire is really growing on me, yes he is old, but Fife, maybe Lewis, keeping Hunter, offensive changes, what is not to like? We have tried outside the program for the last 20 years and that has been a rollercoaster ride, let's see what CMWs got. Its not like it could be much worse than the last 4 years!

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I heard similar sentiments in regards to Miller vs Crean. And it’s a dangerous mindset.  Setting anybody who doesn’t think Woodson will be successful as not really a fan.  The same way that people who didn’t believe in Archie were just negative and bad fans. 

I was not saying that they aren't fans. I just can't understand their mindset at this particular point in time. We all have our expectations as fans, I just don't understand how anyone that is paying a modicum of attention to what has gone down in the past week, can have such a negative, or at least a mediocre view of what to expect from this team in 2021-22.

1 minute ago, reconmkd said:

You are right people on those platforms could tone it down a skosh. They are the big reason behind Goodman's trolling.

I saw a FB post the other day that basically said, Everyone stop with the speculation posts, we will inform you of any hires or player moves! Some people cease to amaze me by their ego and lack of humility. Then there is the cesspool of Twitter "d" bags trashing the program that they profess they love, not even sure why I still have Twitter.

As for the pUKe fanbase, they are torn right down the middle and have been for some time now. I work with some decent pUKe fans and have discussions quite often. Half the fanbase wants Cal gone and stricken from history books, while the other half could care less if he stays or goes. Of course they are all not happy that they haven't won the championship every single year but I don't know who they would think would be an acceptable replacement for Cal.

Our hire is really growing on me, yes he is old, but Fife, maybe Lewis, keeping Hunter, offensive changes, what is not to like? We have tried outside the program for the last 20 years and that has been a rollercoaster ride, let's see what CMWs got. Its not like it could be much worse than the last 4 years!

Right.  Let's give the guy a chance.  Everything will not be unicorns and rainbows, I guarantee that.  But so far, so good.  It is ok to relish some good news for the program for once in a long while. 

I think some people are seeing it's likely going to be the same roster (minus durham and possibly race and franklin) so don't expect much different in results.

Personally, I think the results will depend largely on how well the offense and defense plan work under the new staff.  It will be interesting to see how well our current players fit the new offense and defense as well.

I'm excited that we may actually see an offense that works and one that is more exciting to watch.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

There won't be an announcement if they are not coming back until they announce their new school. 

So kind of thinking the last two guys might be out based on that.  Would stink to lose some guys but on to the next if that is the case.

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I think some people are seeing it's likely going to be the same roster (minus durham and possibly race and franklin) so don't expect much different in results.

Personally, I think the results will depend largely on how well the offense and defense plan work under the new staff.  It will be interesting to see how well our current players fit the new offense and defense as well.

I'm excited that we may actually see an offense that works and one that is more exciting to watch.

Yes, I am also curious to see how skills development goes over the summer.  It did not sound like we were doing much of that under the Miller regime....or we at least were not doing it well.

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

Personally, I think the results will depend largely on how much better Woodson and staff's offense and defensive plan are than what we had this year.  Plus, how well our players fit said plan.

I'm excited that we may actually see an offense that works.

Probably some truth to how some see it. I think that our roster was plagued from the start with AMs need to be in control. If you don't think that is the case, just go back and look at nearly every offensive possession and you will see who ever is bringing the ball up the court hesitate while looking at the bench to see what to run. I know a lot of people have been hard on Rob, but you can't tell me any other reason for an experienced PG would need to look at the bench to see what to run. It is mind boggling.

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If there’s no Durham, Franklin, or Thompson, it most certainly will not be the same roster, especially because if they are all gone we will be adding at least one portal transfer.

46 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I don't know anything more than their body language on the court and what has been stated by the players but I was getting the impression not many kids loved the former coach and that the exodus would have happened if we kept Archie.  

Loving the coach was a general reason kids might factor in, not necessarily attributable to Archie.  Agree on the body language of kids. They seemed finished mentally.

Sometimes the well is just too poisoned in a person's mind to allow a change in thought or feeling about the situation. All of those reasons are why a fresh start is sometimes easier for the player, and also the coach recruiting. If certain players still need to be sold at this point, they may fall into the fresh start category.

I wonder if CMW and staff by now have told Race and Armaan -- if you're not ready to make a decision, that's fine, but we're gonna hit the transfer portal and if we can get a commitment from someone we think can help us, we're moving on.