Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

4 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

The rivals Big 10 off season thread, someone said Louisville or Notre Dame 

He’d just be going to the same offense at Louisville he just left here under Archie. I wouldn’t really get that move.

Nothing against Armaan but there are tons of players of his caliber in the portal.  Would still love to have him back though.

There may be other players just as good or slightly better, but I think it would be a lot more fun to keep rooting for Armaan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Armaan stays. I don’t think any of us would be shocked if he took that next step to a 16-17 pt scorer. Baylor showed last night you need multiple really good guards to be successful. I’m still a little weary that relying on Rob and Lander will lead to success so I hope Armaan stays and we can get Xavier Johnson.

7 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

The rivals Big 10 off season thread, someone said Louisville or Notre Dame 

If true, Brey knows how to run an offense, so that makes sense.....but would make it clear he just wants to leave IU. 

Here he was a starter and had a green-light, by all accounts the new system will be even more conducive to his skills and he wants to go to.....South Bend? Notre Dame sucked worse than IU last year and not likely they'll be a lot better. 

I don't understand it, but maybe he has a good reason to bolt. 

3 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

I think he plays over Lander and Rob; Armaan may be the only guard that could get more minutes than him in my opinion. 

I think he could very well play alongside either of them.  I'm expecting in a four out, one in offense, a premium on a quicker team with a lot of ball motion that has a premium on the number of guys that can handle the ball.  The college game is really evolving away from a single guy always being asked to run the offense.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I realize these are big decisions, and these are 20- and 21-year old kids, but it seems as if they should have enough information by now to at least determine if they're staying at IU or if they're moving on. 

If they're leaving, maybe they haven't picked a school yet -- but it just seems as if it would be best for themselves and for the program if they'd at least let the staff know if they plan to be in Bloomington this fall.

I think the whole 'wild west' transfer portal this year is keeping a lot of guys from being able to totally informed decisions....both coaches and players.  A player could commit today and then five days later, they get recruited over or someone who they thought was leaving a school ends up staying.  There are just so many moving parts.

Let's say that Armaan has decided that he'd like go to say, Louisville BUT that is contingent on them not bringing in another wing that he could be sharing minutes with.  Some schools are targeting kids, trying to get them commit as quick as possible and when they do, they are done -- others are going to keep trying to improve their team regardless of who has committed.

Now let's reverse this and use Xavier Johnson.  Maybe he is set on coming to IU under the assumption that Franklin is leaving, thus insuring himself a good chunk of minutes.  From his vantage, committing before Franklin commits elsewhere would be a mistake.

33 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

There may be other players just as good or slightly better, but I think it would be a lot more fun to keep rooting for Armaan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I root for the name on the front of the jersey and not the on on the back.  I will root for players who want to be here and put that jersey on

2 hours ago, Zachetology said:

We'll see if Woody can recruit with Franklin, as Armaan was the only player to shoot 40+% from three with decent volume.

If Franklin leaves that would make 1 in 4 that Woody failed to recruit back, so your contention is what, that a 75% success rate in recruiting is failure or that the one lost outweighs the three won? Either way it kind of sounds like you've taken the position that Woody can't recruit and are grasping at straws for evidence to support it. 

55 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think the whole 'wild west' transfer portal this year is keeping a lot of guys from being able to totally informed decisions....both coaches and players.  A player could commit today and then five days later, they get recruited over or someone who they thought was leaving a school ends up staying.  There are just so many moving parts.

Let's say that Armaan has decided that he'd like go to say, Louisville BUT that is contingent on them not bringing in another wing that he could be sharing minutes with.  Some schools are targeting kids, trying to get them commit as quick as possible and when they do, they are done -- others are going to keep trying to improve their team regardless of who has committed.

Now let's reverse this and use Xavier Johnson.  Maybe he is set on coming to IU under the assumption that Franklin is leaving, thus insuring himself a good chunk of minutes.  From his vantage, committing before Franklin commits elsewhere would be a mistake.

To me, that's the wrong way for a player to look at it.  You need to go and compete for the job.  Beat the other dude out and play.  Trying to project where you'll get time vs. where you won't just ends up in dissapointment.  There will always be new guys coming in, ready willing and able to take your job.  

2 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

KG usually has a good insight. Wonder what he means by this?

I don't know if you feel the good insights are coming from his twitter account, but all I see are pretty much betting advice.  He's the same guy who said he could come up with '30 more realistic' choices for IU's head coach than Woodson.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I don't know if you feel the good insights are coming from his twitter account, but all I see are pretty much betting advice.  He's the same guy who said he could come up with '30 more realistic' choices for IU's head coach than Woodson.

Maybe, I’ve seen him say stuff that was pretty spot on, but they could have been easy guesses too

12 minutes ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

KG usually has a good insight. Wonder what he means by this?

Was just about to come and post this. Guessing it’s about AF but that’s a total guess. 

Part of upgrading talent is keeping the most talented players you had before.  Armaan was one of our more talented players and it would suck to lose him to any of those others schools.  If we're truly going to compete in the Big 1.0 next season we'll need to keep our most talented players AND add to that talent.  Keeping Armaan and adding another talented guard would do wonders for this team moving forward.  The elite teams don't just have a guy at one position but multiple guys at multiple positions. 

We were just talking about how TJD was really the only player at his position that other Big 1.0 teams would want.  Armaan would probably be second on that list.  We need to keep him and add to it.  P. Stewart was a good start but a Xavier Johnson or similar player could move IU up the ladder in the Big 1.0.

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Part of upgrading talent is keeping the most talented players you had before.  Armaan was one of our more talented players and it would suck to lose him to any of those others schools.  If we're truly going to compete in the Big 1.0 next season we'll need to keep our most talented players AND add to that talent.  Keeping Armaan and adding another talented guard would do wonders for this team moving forward.  The elite teams don't just have a guy at one position but multiple guys at multiple positions. 

We were just talking about how TJD was really the only player at his position that other Big 1.0 teams would want.  Armaan would probably be second on that list.  We need to keep him and add to it.  P. Stewart was a good start but a Xavier Johnson or similar player could move IU up the ladder in the Big 1.0.

Not disagreeing with you, but I also think we're returning to an era when it is going to take something in addition to talent to be an Indiana player.  For years, we have wanted players who play with passion and understand what it means to wear the Indiana jersey.  Before the players can understand that, the coaches have to understand it.  Now we have coaches who understand it.  And I think the coaches will decide that not every talented player is necessarily a good fit as an Indiana player if they're not going to buy in.

Edited by IUHoosierJoe

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

If Franklin leaves that would make 1 in 4 that Woody failed to recruit back, so your contention is what, that a 75% success rate in recruiting is failure or that the one lost outweighs the three won? Either way it kind of sounds like you've taken the position that Woody can't recruit and are grasping at straws for evidence to support it. 

My position is that I would like to stop the victory parade for Woodson's recruiting abilities until he can maintain or upgrade our 12-15 team. I'm just saying this is a good test. 

56 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Not disagreeing with you, but I also think we're returning to an era when it is going to take something in addition to talent to be an Indiana player.  For years, we have wanted players who play with passion and understand what it means to wear the Indiana jersey.  Before the players can understand that, the coaches have to understand it.  Now we have coaches who understand it.  And I think the coaches will decide that not every talented player is necessarily a good fit as an Indiana player if they're not going to buy in.

I get what you're saying but Franklin was one of the players that really seemed to play hard all the time. His improvement over the summer speaks of his passion for the game. That drive to win and hustle during games is what's been missing overall from the team and Franklin was one of the few who showed it.

54 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I get what you're saying but Franklin was one of the players that really seemed to play hard all the time. His improvement over the summer speaks of his passion for the game. That drive to win and hustle during games is what's been missing overall from the team and Franklin was one of the few who showed it.

Which is why it makes zero sense that he hasn't committed yet.  He's getting bad advice from somewhere.  Both TJD and Lander's dads "committed" within 5 min. of speaking to Woodson.