Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

@Chris007 any insight on what led Geronimo to decide to stay at IU? I'm just curious how Coach Woodson convinced him to stay when it sounded like he was as good as gone based on his parents' comments. 

It could be friendship with his teammates or the relationship with CMW and his play style.

Jordan having an Oladipo summer would be ideal. He has the size and jumps to play in the league, he has nice length. He's a good athlete. 

If he can improve his offensive ability then he might have a chance to make it to the league. I'm sure that was part of Woody's meeting with him. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I think that his parents wanted him closer to home but not sure Jordan wanted that. He then has a veteran NBA coach come in with an offense that he is perfect for, so where is he going to go to have that. Now I can't wait to see what kind of jump he makes from freshman to Sophomore.

I would think that the script was similar to what we know of Woody's meeting with TJD. They all have NBA dreams, and Woody can break down their games and give them a plan to improve in order to get drafted. I was worried that kids wouldn't want to hear that, especially when other coaches just promise them the world but apparently, some are open to that type of constructive criticism.  

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think that his parents wanted him closer to home but not sure Jordan wanted that. He then has a veteran NBA coach come in with an offense that he is perfect for, so where is he going to go to have that. Now I can't wait to see what kind of jump he makes from freshman to Sophomore.

Good for him. IU was always far away from home-that didn't change over night. It should be about what he wants, not mommy and daddy. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierfan22 said:

It could be friendship with his teammates or the relationship with CMW and his play style.

Plus, based on the TJD and Lander comments, it seems Woodson is able to turn the parents into supporters quickly.  

Does the portal ‘close’ on a certain date?  I know Parker came in late but wasn’t sure if that was due to his unique circumstance or not.

Just now, BradO said:

Does the portal ‘close’ on a certain date?  I know Parker came in late but wasn’t sure if that was due to his unique circumstance or not.

No 

Just now, BradO said:

No, not until the first day of the fall semester.

21 minutes ago, BradO said:

The Portal is always open (which is just means of connecting players and coaches/schools), the only deadlines are the ones associated with enrollment/eligibility. A player could enter the portal and transfer in October, but that screws up fall semester academics, and they wouldn't be eligible to play until they had reestablished good academic standing. At least for this year, I think a player could enter the portal and transfer, and be eligible to play immediately as long they did so before the first day of classes of the fall semester

5 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

The Portal is always open (which is just means of connecting players and coaches/schools), the only deadlines are the ones associated with enrollment/eligibility. A player could enter the portal and transfer in October, but that screws up fall semester academics, and they wouldn't be eligible to play until they had reestablished good academic standing. At least for this year, I think a player could enter the portal and transfer, and be eligible to play immediately as long they did so before the first day of classes of the fall semester

Exactly right. 

I've read that the proposed rule to permanently allow a 1 time transfer with immediate eligibility will probably come with deadlines that must be met to receive the waiver. But that has not been passed yet and I don't recall them having deadlines for this special case transfer this year.

Liam Robbins of Minnesota entered the transfer portal -- might this be a tip that he knows that Race Thompson is coming in?

Robbins previously transferred from Drake to Minnesota.  Last year he averaged 11.7 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks for the Gophers.