Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

From a current player's standpoint, I can see some of them having a "Holy $__t" moment, because with the possible exception of Trayce, everybody is starting from ground zero for playing time. You have to earn it. 

From a transfer player's standpoint, he's coming in on a level playing field to earn minutes. He's not automatically going to be #6-8 on the depth chart and hope to move up. He has an equal chance to start as anybody else.

I like it !

I'm so curious to see what Phinisee does under a new coach mentally. That kid was/is in his own head bad. Almost like someone stole his confidence somewhere. Or that must have been one hell of a concussion. Rob can be an absolute stud for 20 mins, and then he's gone again. He randomly plays top level defense.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

From a current player's standpoint, I can see some of them having a "Holy $__t" moment, because with the possible exception of Trayce, everybody is starting from ground zero for playing time. You have to earn it. 

From a transfer player's standpoint, he's coming in on a level playing field to earn minutes. He's not automatically going to be #6-8 on the depth chart and hope to move up. He has an equal chance to start as anybody else.

I like it !

My own opinion is playing time should be earned every week. 

1 hour ago, bleedhoosier said:

I'm so curious to see what Phinisee does under a new coach mentally. That kid was/is in his own head bad. Almost like someone stole his confidence somewhere. Or that must have been one hell of a concussion. Rob can be an absolute stud for 20 mins, and then he's gone again. He randomly plays top level defense.

I’ve wondered this myself. He showed a lot of promise as a freshman and has just stagnated since then. If the issue was coaching—and In not exactly convinced it is—he has the talent to play to an all-B1G 3rd team type of level.  

If he were to turn it around, TJD flourishes and maybe one other guy can step up, I think the pieces are there to be a top five team in the conference and obviously a tourney team. Maybe even 5-7 seed. 

We’re obviously in the honeymoon phase here and this is all contingent on Woodson working out. But it’s looking like the player situation is going to work itself out to where we have decent talent. 

When RMK left both Fife and Coverdale flourished in a more open relaxed offense. It seemed Rob was one that Archie often implored to speed up while he casually came up court. Never knew why exactly but have assumed the guys did not really trust Archies offense. Some of TJDs comments support similar ideas of life playing for him.

I am hoping that Woodson can find out how to get him out of this fog and get him to play free and confident. He could be a big piece that we are all forgetting like a Coverdale and even Fife were

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I hated Archie’s offense but it still makes no sense why Phinisee played at a snails pace. Rarely, if ever looked to push it despite seeing Archie on the sideline swinging his arm giving the go signal

This is the puzzling part to me too. I'm not defending Archie's offense or pace, but with that said there were numerous times the last few seasons where Phinisee would walk the ball up as slow as possible while Archie screamed and waved his arms frantically to get him to push the pace. 

This is the puzzling part to me too. I'm not defending Archie's offense or pace, but with that said there were numerous times the last few seasons where Phinisee would walk the ball up as slow as possible while Archie screamed and waved his arms frantically to get him to push the pace. 

I can only guess that he dot mixed signals like it was mot worked on on practice and this was just now introduced or perhaps once he hurried up the next steps were not clear. TJD talking about playing offense like robots comes to mind. They probably slowed down to think through what he wanted them to do vs just playing

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I can only guess that he dot mixed signals like it was mot worked on on practice and this was just now introduced or perhaps once he hurried up the next steps were not clear. TJD talking about playing offense like robots comes to mind. They probably slowed down to think through what he wanted them to do vs just playing

Fair, but unlike Lander, he’s a veteran and should know how to improv. What point guard doesn’t want to push the pace? 

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Could be. Maybe they discussed controlling pace in practice and then all of the sudden during the game Archie is screaming to run so it was confusing. 

46 minutes ago, str8baller said:

he has the talent to play to an all-B1G 3rd team type of level.  

I couldn't help but laugh at this b/c it reminded me of one of the greatest Flight of the Concords songs of all time. "You're so beautiful, you could be a part-time model!" "When you're standing on the street, depending on the street, I bet you are definitely in the top 3....good-looking girls on the street. Depending on the street."  Classic. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Could be. Maybe they discussed controlling pace in practice and then all of the sudden during the game Archie is screaming to run so it was confusing. 

Anything is possible but there is no harm in racing up the floor, getting to the 3 point line and then slowing it down if there isn’t an opening, but if you are walking it up you don’t even have the chance to make a quick score. 

TJD is a mobile big. He should be racing down the floor like Zeller for an easy bucket and Phinisee should be pushing that type of transition. There is no way the other bigs in the bigten can outrun TJD in the open court if we were willing to push the pace. I just imagine he didn’t try because our guards weren’t looking to run

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Anything is possible but there is no harm in racing up the floor, getting to the 3 point line and then slowing it down if there isn’t an opening, but if you are walking it up you don’t even have the chance to make a quick score. 

TJD is a mobile big. He should be racing down the floor like Zeller for an easy bucket and Phinisee should be pushing that type of transition. There is no way the other bigs in the bigten can outrun TJD in the open court if we were willing to push the pace. I just imagine he didn’t try because our guards weren’t looking to run

Yeah, im not advocating for a slow pace by any means. I hated our pace. I spent many a game screaming at the TV for Phinisee to pick it up.

It was maddening how he'd walk the ball up the court and then stop over half court and just stand there for 5-8 seconds before starting anything. 

It will be interesting to see how that plays out under Woodson. 

When RMK left both Fife and Coverdale flourished in a more open relaxed offense. It seemed Rob was one that Archie often implored to speed up while he casually came up court. Never knew why exactly but have assumed the guys did not really trust Archies offense. Some of TJDs comments support similar ideas of life playing for him.

I am hoping that Woodson can find out how to get him out of this fog and get him to play free and confident. He could be a big piece that we are all forgetting like a Coverdale and even Fife were

The ‘81 championship happened when RMK finally allowed Isaiah to be Isaiah.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

32 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

When Rob is in attack mode, he is at his best. He has a nice shot, just obviously lacks confidence at times. I agree that indecision in what the offense is supposed to do could lead to hesitation, and slowing the pace to think instead of just playing.

Push the pace. If the drive is there, take it.  If the the pass to TJD is there because he outruns plodding big men, make it. If the defense is scrambling to get back and leaves you open for 3, nail it. Maybe CMW gives him the hug Bardo was talking about Rob needing, then kicks him in the @$$ and tells him to get to it!

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Archie was actually yelling at him to slow down even more!

:) 

4 hours ago, DWB said:

I like it !

A guy like Xavier Johnson really shakes things up. Suddenly Rob and Lander are looking for playing time.

IMO, Race would be a real good candidate to develop into a stretch 4 because he can already shoot but didn't shoot enough probably because of Archie's direction. I don't know how much TJD can extend his range during off season, but more realistic goal would be for TJD to be able to use the other hand and to feel comfortable shooting in mid-range. TJD and Race can play together and compliment each other. Hope Race stays.