Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

My guess is that Lander wants to and will return if he is getting assurance of player development. Geronimo will transfer to either Rutgers or Seaton Hall to be closer to home. Armaan Franklin is getting the hard sell from several schools and will likely transfer, probably to Illinois. Race Thompson may return or may transfer to Minnesota or even Wisconsin (Madison isn't far from Minneapolis). When people have a bad experience, they sometimes want to just get away from it all. These players have a chance to experience something else other than Indiana University and for Geronimo and Race Thompson play closer to home. Race haas been here for four years so it is understandable he might want to leave.

Is there anything in particular that leads you to think Franklin is leaving? Transferring in conference would be a blow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Is there anything in particular that leads you to think Franklin is leaving? Transferring in conference would be a blow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t speak for them but I know he has a Zoom with Illinois Saturday.... 

Illinois has been going HARD after him. I’m not optimistic.

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not saying it’s true.  But I would still mention the possibility of him bolting to the NBA

Not sure saying "do you want to play for a guy that has been so successful with his players and style that NBA teams are interested and that he man leave before you graduate or go pro?" is a good angle. Anywhere else than UT and I think that that could be used against him, but UT is his destination school.

It would be like recruiting against Roy Williams a few years back and saying he left UK for UNC, are you sure he won't bolt from UNC. It was known that UNC was his Everest, much like UT is Beards.

Just now, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure saying "do you want to play for a guy that has been so successful with his players and style that NBA teams are interested and that he man leave before you graduate or go pro?" is a good angle. Anywhere else than UT and I think that that could be used against him, but UT is his destination school.

It would be like recruiting against Roy Williams a few years back and saying he left UK for UNC, are you sure he won't bolt from UNC. It was known that UNC was his Everest, much like UT is Beards.

It’s all how you present it. “Do you really want to commit to a guy that’s going to dip out before you even get to work with him”. 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

There needs to be some restrictions and rules or else this is going to turn into a few for all. Then again the NCAA isn’t the smartest so they’ll probably let it be a free for all because Jay Billas says it should be.

Definitely have a deadline so kids can't jerk a program around all spring and summer.  It will eventually calm down like most things do with time.  Once a few kids flop at new schools, or get left without a scholarship at top schools and have to settle for somewhere less than ideal, this new concept of college free agency will lose some of its shine.

Definitely have a deadline so kids can't jerk a program around all spring and summer.  It will eventually calm down like most things do with time.  Once a few kids flop at new schools, or get left without a scholarship at top schools and have to settle for somewhere less than ideal, this new concept of college free agency will lose some of its shine.

I believe someone said that once you enter the transfer portal, your scholarship is fair game. I’m not 100% sure on that but, if true, if a player were to wait super long, they run the very real risk of being replaced. I bet most will make relatively quick decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s all how you present it. “Do you really want to commit to a guy that’s going to dip out before you even get to work with him”. 

I think it is a paper thin argument that parents and recruits will see through. He easily walks in and says, " I hear that other coaches are saying I may leave UT. Well, I was a born, raised Longhorn fan and graduated from UT. I had to journey to get back but I am home."  Then he pulls up his shirt and shows him his Longhorn tramp stamp and waves a hook'em Horns. Done deal.

Just now, JHoosier914 said:

I believe someone said that once you enter the transfer portal, your scholarship is fair game. I’m not 100% sure on that but, if true, if a player were to wait super long, they run the very real risk of being replaced. I bet most will make relatively quick decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. And the scholarship SHOULD be fair game. It's the schools, not the players.  I suspect some kids are going to learn some hard life lessons during this process. 

39 minutes ago, Josh said:

There used to be a rule that if you transferred within the Big Ten you lost your scholarship.  Is that still a thing?

No, Micah Potter went from OSU to Wisconsin. Still on scholly.

Edited by jbeaman9

28 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

No, Micah Potter went from OSU to Wisconsin. Still on scholly.

Looks like that rule has been in effect for 10 years now lol.  Jeez I'm getting old

If they change it he transfer rule any, it should only allow kids that have suffered a coaching change to play right away. If they leave it the current Covid way, college basketball will be ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This will be huge for the transfer guard market. Now Woody can tell the guards out there to come to IU and play with our all-American big man. 

TJD really was/is by far the most important pending player decision. I think we can get solid transfer guards to replace Franklin/Lander, but we almost certainly wouldn't be able to find a big man of TJD's caliber in the transfer market