Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

58 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s 1000 players in the portal.  A couple of game films of each is a Herculean task 

You limit the potential pool to positions of need, who performed last year, etc. etc. He is not going to look at film of guys that scored 3 or 4 points a game at St Mary’s or Florida Gulf Coast, as an example. Probably won’t bother with west coast guys that probably want to stay on the west coast. That 1,000 is under a 100 real quick.

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s 1000 players in the portal.  A couple of game films of each is a Herculean task 

He’s not looking at 1000 players.  He’s got 2 maybe three spots to fill.  Look at the top 50 is more than enough.  But you know that.   

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Kids want to be coached. I think this might not work for everyone but what we were doing wasn’t working either. But I think a lot of good coaches do this and Woody knows what it takes to get to the promise land.

Fixed it for ya...

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I know Duncomb meant it as a compliment, but this is the first thing that I’ve heard about Woodson since his hiring that makes me concerned. These kids are used to being told what they want to hear from a young age. As soon as they show any promise, AAU programs start recruiting them and promising them the world and telling them that they are already a perfect player. Now Woody comes along and says “you need to work on x, y, and z to even play at the college level.” There’s a reason that car salesmen lie to people. 

These players get sunshine shined up their ***** 24/7 by recruiters. Someone saying you have got a nice game but to get to where you want to go you will need to work on x,y, and z should be refreshing. If it is true, which why would a HC or anyone say it if it wasn't and it is taken negatively to the point of dropping IU as an option so be it. I say that would be a mistake averted.

28 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

You limit the potential pool to positions of need, who performed last year, etc. etc. He is not going to look at film of guys that scored 3 or 4 points a game at St Mary’s or Florida Gulf Coast, as an example. Probably won’t bother with west coast guys that probably want to stay on the west coast. That 1,000 is under a 100 real quick.

And a couple of game films for 100 players is still a pretty tall task when he’s got other stuff to do.  

People are incredibly undervaluing the scouting that goes into these players. 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And a couple of game films for 100 players is still a pretty tall task when he’s got other stuff to do.  

Your right.

I think Woodson should just give up now.

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I initially thought Woodson would be clueless to who he needed because being in the NBA.  But since he was bucking for the job and Archie was clearly on the hot seat I wonder if he had started working on a list of guys that fit his system. 

Late to the party on this one, but I had a discussion along those lines with my brother about this. Basically, our theory is CMW probably heard the rumblings and new there was a high probability of Archie being bought out. Knowing this, and knowing this would probably be his last shot at ever HCing IU, I believe he probably sat down, built a staff, watched film on the players and had a full set of visions for SD. After being hired, my guess is he already had a deep dive done on each player and their strengths and weaknesses so the one on one meetings were directed heavily towards showing said player what they meant to the program, and his overall basketball acumen. Just a hunch. Sampson once talked about the preparation in the NBA being far beyond anything he had experienced in the college game, no way Woody didn't have a full dossier on the team, coaches etc. the moment it became a possibility.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I know Duncomb meant it as a compliment, but this is the first thing that I’ve heard about Woodson since his hiring that makes me concerned. These kids are used to being told what they want to hear from a young age. As soon as they show any promise, AAU programs start recruiting them and promising them the world and telling them that they are already a perfect player. Now Woody comes along and says “you need to work on x, y, and z to even play at the college level.” There’s a reason that car salesmen lie to people. 

If they can't handle that kind of coaching then go elsewhere and be happy but most top players wants to be pushed to greatness.

58 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think this is where Matta comes into play. I’m sure he’s watched a ton of college basketball and knows who is out there. Once speaking with Mike on what he’s looking for I’m sure he can make a short list of guys that could be focused on along with Roberts and Hunter having list. They aren’t going to Crean it and offer everyone in the portal and see who says yes. 

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I feel bad for all the 2021 kids who haven’t committed to a school yet. Now they are competing with all the guys in the transfer portal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That was something I had mentioned earlier in the year.  Because of the extra years given to everyone, it's likely that some of the guys that were normally low D1 will end up in lower divisions.

10 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I feel bad for all the 2021 kids who haven’t committed to a school yet. Now they are competing with all the guys in the transfer portal.

I remember seeing plenty of commentary as the season unfolded that the '21s shouldn't be sitting around waiting too long for that "better" offer.  In this case, you snooze, you lose.   

10 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

There’s an article in SI this morning that says that the NCAA is about to adopt this transfer rule permanently. So this is the new norm. This is terrible for coaches. If you don’t give a freshman his minutes, even if he doesn’t earn them in practice, he’ll just transfer. It’s bad for us too. But it is great for the players. They’ll collaborate with top players they know from AAU to form super teams.