Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Because with the COVID year your seniors that want to come back will not count against your overall scholly numbers.   That is only for seniors and this year only 

I'll expand on this and add that it's only for seniors who stay at the school they were with this past season. If they transfer they will count against their new school's scholarship limit. Durham will be 1 of the 13 allowed scholarships at Providence, for example. So we (and other schools) can't just go out and grab a bunch of transferring seniors that don't count against the limit.

9 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I'll expand on this and add that it's only for seniors who stay at the school they were with this past season. If they transfer they will count against their new school's scholarship limit. Durham will be 1 of the 13 allowed scholarships at Providence, for example. So we (and other schools) can't just go out and grab a bunch of transferring seniors that don't count against the limit.

I kind of want them to count against the limit.  Get off to a good start and see what we can add with the 2022 class.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I initially thought Woodson would be clueless to who he needed because being in the NBA.  But since he was bucking for the job and Archie was clearly on the hot seat I wonder if he had started working on a list of guys that fit his system. 

Guy's got 30 years in b-ball.  I am sure he can figure it out pretty quickly.   

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Takes a long time to watch that much film 

Matta, Hunter, Other Mike and Woody can all spend time watching. I would love to be part of that process if I had some time. Take maybe the top 30 players regardless of position and narrow that down some and reach out to them. Then search by position of need (stretch 4, center) and get another list of 30 and reach out to the top 10-20.  

52 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He doesn't need to watch that much.  

I agree. In this unusual portal year we will be looking to fill multiple slots with guys that have already played in college. It’s a huge help that Woody and the staff can look at college stats, instead of high school stats, of players under consideration and get a quick idea if they can play, will know what type of competition the kids team played against and it doesn’t take long to figure out what type of system the player was in. 

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

It’s a huge help that Woody and the staff can look at college stats, instead of high school stats...

I think that's true but it's also true that most other coaches have been using that same approach to hone in on guys in the transfer portal for a couple of weeks now.  Hunter and Roberts kept us afloat and I'm hoping for the best, but it's most likely the case that IU (though no fault of any of the coaches) has a lot of ground to make up. 

7 minutes ago, triple said:

I think that's true but it's also true that most other coaches have been using that same approach to hone in on guys in the transfer portal for a couple of weeks now.  Hunter and Roberts kept us afloat and I'm hoping for the best, but it's most likely the case that IU (though no fault of any of the coaches) has a lot of ground to make up. 

I agree with that but was just saying that a ton of film time is not required to the extent of prior years since the new staff can look at college stats. Helps winnow the number of targets down more quickly.

12 minutes ago, triple said:

The more experience you have, the less film you need to watch to evaluate a player.  A couple of game films can do it and you can have assistants cut out the parts where the player isn't playing.  

47 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

“He’s not going to butter you up or anything,” Duncomb said. “He’s just going to be straightforward with you. He’s not going to blow smoke up your butt or anything like that. He’ll be really direct with you, black and white, and he’s going to push you and be direct with you so that I and my other teammates can eventually get to the next level, which is the NBA. He’s not going to let you become complacent by saying you’re having such a good season, yada, yada, yada. He’s going to push you to go that one step forward so you can be dominant, not just at this level, but hopefully the NBA.”

Some kids might not like that approach. If they don't then IU isn't the place for them. But if Coach Woodson brings in guys who like being coached and like being pushed every day, I like our chances. 

I know Duncomb meant it as a compliment, but this is the first thing that I’ve heard about Woodson since his hiring that makes me concerned. These kids are used to being told what they want to hear from a young age. As soon as they show any promise, AAU programs start recruiting them and promising them the world and telling them that they are already a perfect player. Now Woody comes along and says “you need to work on x, y, and z to even play at the college level.” There’s a reason that car salesmen lie to people. 

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

The more experience you have, the less film you need to watch to evaluate a player.  A couple of game films can do it and you can have assistants cut out the parts where the player isn't playing.  

There’s 1000 players in the portal.  A couple of game films of each is a Herculean task 

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I know Duncomb meant it as a compliment, but this is the first thing that I’ve heard about Woodson since his hiring that makes me concerned. These kids are used to being told what they want to hear from a young age. As soon as they show any promise, AAU programs start recruiting them and promising them the world and telling them that they are already a perfect player. Now Woody comes along and says “you need to work on x, y, and z to even play at the college level.” There’s a reason that car salesmen lie to people. 

I see your point, but there are numerous quotes and interviews with NBA stars speaking glowingly of Woody regarding the trust they have in him for speaking the truth. Antigua is as slick and dirty as they come in recruiting.  Hope the Franklins do their homework. 

Edited by Hoosierinbham

I think there's a natural tendency to make too much of some of these kinds of articles and the comments recruits/commits may make because we're so invested in the program.  Fact is, few targets, etc., are probably following The Daily Hoosier and will never see Logan's comments.

43 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

We could definitely miss out on guys because of it, but if a kid is turned off by a coach being up front with him do we really want him here?

A kid coming in that thinks he does not have anything to work on is a kid that is going to be uncoachable.  Everyone has stuff they need to work on, including the pros.

If a kid doesn't want to hear that, then I think he is the type that will not be successful in college anyway, so we should pass.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

A kid coming in that thinks he does not have anything to work on is a kid that is going to be uncoachable.  Everyone has stuff they need to work on, including the pros.

If a kid doesn't want to hear that, then I think he is the type that will not be successful in college anyway, so we should pass.

Yep, certain kids might not be a good fit for Woodson and I don't see anything wrong with that.