Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

4 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I actually think he'd fit pretty well. He's athletic enough to often be able to guard 2-5 in a switch. He also was reputed to have a decent 3 point stroke coming in. Admittedly he only hit 30% last year and 20% this year, but everyone's shooting suffered under Archie so it's not inconceivable he could be in the 34-35% range next year.

In a different universe I'd like to replay this exact same team but with Woodson or Tim Buckley just to understand the affect a staff has on shooting. Maybe Archie and crew truly just don't know.. that they don't know how to teach shooting at the college speed. Archie is always like "they shoot a lot and shoot well in practice". Ok, but who is refining the mechanics of everyone's shots or calling out the variances in setups. No matter what the form is, make it dead nuts repeatable, just like Hulls. 

34 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Wants to play Pg 

He had a chance to do that here.  I figured he was transferring so he could finally play in the ncaa tournament. But then Providence?  I guess I don't know what to think.  Best of luck Al.  Thanks for your time

17 minutes ago, Josh said:

He had a chance to do that here.  I figured he was transferring so he could finally play in the ncaa tournament. But then Providence?  I guess I don't know what to think.  Best of luck Al.  Thanks for your time

Sounds like not a big enough chance to play pg.  

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

This is like Justin Smith wanting to be a three point shooter. Sure, you can want that, but you need the skill set for it. Al doesn't have a PG skill set. He'll be playing on the wing at Providence.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Didn't he decide to leave before Miller was even fired?  How would he have known how the next coach was going to utilize him?  We don't have a #1 pg.  Weird.

What will be interesting is how long he plays Pg at Providence.  All coaches tell players what they want to hear and then basically do what’s best for their team.  Nasty business sometimes.  Couldn’t even mention the 4 spot during brooks recruitment but yet Cal played him at the 4 bunches of times.  

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is like Justin Smith wanting to be a three point shooter. Sure, you can want that, but you need the skill set for it. Al doesn't have a PG skill set. He'll be playing on the wing at Providence.

There's an old saying about "wanting"....in one hand.....

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I think his transfer is actually for academic reasons. I think he actually wanted to go to grad school for something that isn't offered at IU. I've thought this since he entered the portal instead of just moving on from basketball and college or staying at IU.

I don't know him personally so that's just a guess. Doesn't he have a clothing business he's started or wants to start? Maybe Providence has a fashion major or something.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Providence already have a pair of point guards -- Jared Bynum who was getting 3 1/2 assists and 6 ppg in 27 minutes (not a great shooter) and if they don't want him at the point, they play David Duke (bummer of a name) there.  Duke played 37 minutes per game and average almost 17 ppg and 5 assists.  What the Friars lack is shooting (they were even worse from three than us -- they shot only 32% and hit just 6 per game) and depth.  He pretty much fills that role -- as someone said, he'll likely be a wing for them and with the amount of three guard lineups they run, he'll get plenty of minutes.  I expect his role with them will be similar to his role with us -- just an occasional point guard.

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Providence already have a pair of point guards -- Jared Bynum who was getting 3 1/2 assists and 6 ppg in 27 minutes (not a great shooter) and if they don't want him at the point, they play David Duke (bummer of a name) there.  Duke played 37 minutes per game and average almost 17 ppg and 5 assists.  What the Friars lack is shooting (they were even worse from three than us -- they shot only 32% and hit just 6 per game) and depth.  He pretty much fills that role -- as someone said, he'll likely be a wing for them and with the amount of three guard lineups they run, he'll get plenty of minutes.  I expect his role with them will be similar to his role with us -- just an occasional point guard.

Probably but he is going to Providence because they told him he would play Pg.  Rabjohns talked with his dad and they made it clear that Providence was going to allow him to do things that he felt he didn’t get an opportunity to do at IU.   Coaches have to tell players what they want to hear.  Do I think he will play pg for them next year.  No I don’t but that’s what he wants 

27 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Probably but he is going to Providence because they told him he would play Pg.  Rabjohns talked with his dad and they made it clear that Providence was going to allow him to do things that he felt he didn’t get an opportunity to do at IU.   Coaches have to tell players what they want to hear.  Do I think he will play pg for them next year.  No I don’t but that’s what he wants 

He didn't get to because he was awful at it. 

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah, I get that.  I think Justin Smith was told by Musselman that he was going to get freedom to show his perimeter game (in fact, I know this.....there were articles preseason how he was going to do so).

As Mike Tyson said, "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face."  When they see their are better options (and I like Al, but he's a wing on a team that has capable point guards), options change.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yeah, I get that.  I think Justin Smith was told by Musselman that he was going to get freedom to show his perimeter game (in fact, I know this.....there were articles preseason how he was going to do so).

As Mike Tyson said, "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face."  When they see their are better options (and I like Al, but he's a wing on a team that has capable point guards), options change.

That is probably true but Muss still got more out of Justin than Archie did. He was a leader on that team and so many of the games I watched he worked his tail off 

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

That is probably true but Muss still got more out of Justin than Archie did. He was a leader on that team and so many of the games I watched he worked his tail off 

Oh, he did.  I was just backing USPS up on the fact that coaches tell players what they want to hear to bring them in.  Anyone who watched Justin Smith play knows he's a college 4.  Musselman convinced him of that despite telling him that he was going to be a wing at Arkansas to get him there.  

Food for thought:  Smith accepted that roll more as the season went along -- probably liked the winning.  In his first seven games at Arkansas, he took 13 threes in 201 minutes.  In the NCAA tournament, in four games (155 minutes) he took......zero threes.

57 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Oh, he did.  I was just backing USPS up on the fact that coaches tell players what they want to hear to bring them in.  Anyone who watched Justin Smith play knows he's a college 4.  Musselman convinced him of that despite telling him that he was going to be a wing at Arkansas to get him there.  

Food for thought:  Smith accepted that roll more as the season went along -- probably liked the winning.  In his first seven games at Arkansas, he took 13 threes in 201 minutes.  In the NCAA tournament, in four games (155 minutes) he took......zero threes.

I think you are spot on with regards to the winning and being a more willing team guy. Others who have been labeled problems would probably have had similar approaches but for that lack of winning