Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

45 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Our defense was 38th on Pom.  Not great, but our defense was good enough to make the tournament.  Take Florida for example:  40th offensively, 37th defensively.  So if we were playing at the same level on offense as defense, you could chalk us up as a 7 seed.  Instead, our offense checked in at 64.  

In terms of 'swagger' and 'vision'.....unless that translates to actual points, I could care less about it.  "Swaggering" helped him hit 18 of 70 from the floor.  Vision helped him turn the ball over once every 10 minutes when our other subpar guards turned it over much less -- Phin once every 21 minutes, Durham once every 23 minutes.  Lander had an epically bad season.....there really isn't any way to describe it.  

But as they say, the backup quarterback is always the most popular guy on the team for fans.

He has a long way to go right now.  I do feel there is no way that the scouts were that far off on his ranking and I don't expect a repeat next year.  But let's not change history to act like he looked productive last year.

Archie mismanaged Lander from the very beginning. There was a 9 game span over a month where Lander played more than 4 minutes in a game once (he played 6 minutes that game). What coach does that to the one 5 star guard on your team? If Archie didn’t think Lander was ready then he shouldn’t have had him reclassify. It’s not like our starting pg was any better. Rob Phinisee shot 33% from the field during conference play and 24% from 3 yet Archie still played him 28 mpg. 

35 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Our defense was 38th on Pom.  Not great, but our defense was good enough to make the tournament.  Take Florida for example:  40th offensively, 37th defensively.  So if we were playing at the same level on offense as defense, you could chalk us up as a 7 seed.  Instead, our offense checked in at 64.  

In terms of 'swagger' and 'vision'.....unless that translates to actual points, I could care less about it.  "Swaggering" helped him hit 18 of 70 from the floor.  Vision helped him turn the ball over once every 10 minutes when our other subpar guards turned it over much less -- Phin once every 21 minutes, Durham once every 23 minutes.  Lander had an epically bad season.....there really isn't any way to describe it.  

But as they say, the backup quarterback is always the most popular guy on the team for fans.

He has a long way to go right now.  I do feel there is no way that the scouts were that far off on his ranking and I don't expect a repeat next year.  But let's not change history to act like he looked productive last year.

Our defensive efficiency was 12th in the B1G. It was awful. Having Lander on the court, wasn't going to hurt it any. 

Just now, Stromboli said:

I don’t disagree that he should have played more, but I watched the games. Opposing guards would take it straight at/through Lander. He was targeted. That alone will mess with confidence. 

We’d also all see Lander scan the defense, draw some attention and whip a pass to a man he just got open. Or take the in-bound pass in a sprint and immediately look up the floor. There’s a lot of exciting basketball left in that guy that is the opposite of whatever it was Archie was trying to do. 

That's why I would have taken the lows of Lander vs those of Phinisee. Phinisee was a good defender but we played 4 on 5 on offense and he was sooooo slow getting the ball up the court. 

Look at some of the comments below TJD’s sad face tweet.... Tell me what the goal is when you hit send on that? Listen to me, stop tweeting that crap at the players. I sometimes even wonder if we don’t deserve to be this down as a program. I sat and read countless post from people trying to justify why booing your own team off the floor was an effective vehicle for change. Ok then, I can deal with that, but where are you now? I swear to the lord above, if I don’t see you same people now go and fricken publicly eviscerate these dumbos for tweeting that crap to an All-B1G player that you claim to want back, I don’t know what to say.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think there’s a way that you can set up Twitter accounts that don’t allow people to comment? Not sure? If it is possible the NCAA needs to make that a mandate for all student athletes during their time. It’s sad that people feel like it’s okay to tweet at college students with negativity but that’s the world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'll always predict it happened in year two. I think he kissed Romeo's a$$ and that didn't sit well with the team. 

That's why IU gotta hire someone that's been there and done that. It was Archie's first time coaching a star player, even though Romeo was calm and fairly a nice kid, he didn't know how to handle the whole situation. My guess is he didn't really do anything to manage players' egos and to guide players to the positive direction. Also, he always picked quiet, introverted kids as team captains and failed to recruit potential leaders. 

His style probably only works in mid major tier where players he can recruit are usually lacking skills and raw talents so they play with a chip on their shoulders and play physically/aggressively to earn playing time. 

If everybody but Al stays and we add Duncomb, are we still 2 scholarships under the limit for next year?  You'd have to think a new coach would like being able to add at least a couple of his own players

It’s one of the oddest things I’ve seen. A total disconnect.  Lack of respect?  I’ve yet to figure it out.  Probably never will.  

I think it’s more that Archie forced his style on these guys and they begrudgingly tried to accomplish his demands assuming it would result in wins. As the losses piled up, the hatred for the systems deepened?  Or is it more of a interpersonal thing. 

They seemed to like Cliff, but everyone likes Cliff. 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

TJD weighing in. Looks like he is at least waiting to meet Brad

It's easy to read too much into something like this -- but let's face it, that's what we all do -- but if TJD truly plans to wait and see whom IU hires, it makes you wonder if his relationship with Archie wasn't fractured? Because if his intention all along was to leave after two seasons, and then his coach is fired, it seems as if it would be a slam dunk to bolt. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

It's easy to read too much into something like this -- but let's face it, that's what we all do -- but if TJD truly plans to wait and see whom IU hires, it makes you wonder if his relationship with Archie wasn't fractured? Because if his intention all along was to leave after two seasons, and then his coach is fired, it seems as if it would be a slam dunk to bolt. 

Yeah definitely too easy to read into it. I do think he enters his name for feedback either way, obviously. But if you could play 1 year under Brad Stevens that might be worth it to try and develop into a first round pick. 

But yeah I don't think he comes back at all if Archie is the coach. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

A lot of stuff went wrong with IU last year. The relationship between TJD and his coaches wasn’t one of them 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

A lot of stuff went wrong with IU last year. The relationship between TJD and his coaches wasn’t one of them 

Honestly it shouldn't have. I mean this team was built around TJD and the staff gave him every opportunity to be the focal point, almost to the detriment of the team honestly. But hey that's moot at this point and just my opinion

7 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Honestly it shouldn't have. I mean this team was built around TJD and the staff gave him every opportunity to be the focal point, almost to the detriment of the team honestly. But hey that's moot at this point and just my opinion

same could be said for Romeo.  SO much focal point around Romeo when he was here