Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Bozich and his dad said that on Assembly Call. It sure looked like it but I'm not sure I buy it. IF it's true, that is on Fred Glass for not doing his due diligence. 

Goodman has said it as well. Said he really wanted OSU but Indiana came open and felt like he had to take it

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Goodman has said it as well. Said he really wanted OSU but Indiana came open and felt like he had to take it

Last night was the first I had heard of it. His first year and a half at IU I was sold. It wasn't until that losing streak that I felt he didn't want to be here. 

21 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I don't see how this is surprising. It was just a B1G job to Archie. He would have been just as happy to take the Illinois or Maryland job. I was simply a step up in status and pay. The same was probably true for Crean, Sampson and Davis. That being said, most guys coaching are just doing a job and have no particular love for the institution. That works most places but it doesn't work here because of the massive shadow that RMK casts over this program. It also won't work at Duke once Coach K retires or at Carolina after Roy Williams. That's why, if I were a college coach with no ties to IU, I would want no part of this job. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don't see how this is surprising. It was just a B1G job to Archie. He would have been just as happy to take the Illinois or Maryland job. I was simply a step up in status and pay. The same was probably true for Crean, Sampson and Davis. That being said, most guys coaching are just doing a job and have no particular love for the institution. That works most places but it doesn't work here because of the massive shadow that RMK casts over this program. It also won't work at Duke once Coach K retires or at Carolina after Roy Williams. That's why, if I were a college coach with no ties to IU, I would want no part of this job. 

Agree with most of this. Where I differ somewhat is on Crean. Not that he would've wanted  IU specifically, but he pretty clearly had the ego to want to be the guy at one of the true heritage programs. And in 2008, IU looked like the only 1 of those jobs that was going to come open in the near term.I don't think he would have valued an Ohio St the same as an IU. I also think Duke and UNC have ready made succession plans which have a chance of succeeding, whereas IU couldn't have had less of one.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:14 PM, mdn82 said:

Did he get a raise?  Last I knew he only made $200k for both his radio and tv gig.  Or do we pay our assistants that poorly?  I truly don’t know but it’s going to be important with Woody. 

A very large percentage of assistant coaches make well below $100K. That’s substantially lower than 200K. I’m not sure what Indiana staff made prior to Dane Fife’s seemingly higher-than-typical agreed upon salary, but even the 90th percentile of assistant coaches is $90K and the median is $57K. And, yes, I know many of the smaller schools bring this down considerably.

I’m sure when compared to many I live a life of poverty, but I disagree that paying someone $200,000/year is “poor man’s” wages. 

Not to derail the current topic, but I had an interesting lunch yesterday with a couple of friends I hadn’t seen in a while. They both went to UNC and are huge Tarheel fans. So of course the topic came up of coaches. 

One thing we discussed was keeping things within the “family”. They both are really excited for Davis. I asked them does it bother them that no other elite school would have hired him as their head coach (something I heard a lot from IU fans about Woodson) and they just shrugged that off. they wanted a UNC guy. Period.

I’m not saying they are right. But it’s interesting how they didn’t want UNC to go after some established coach or some hot young gun (although both would have been happy with Miller). They wanted a UNC guy.

I know, CSB.

18 minutes ago, Papacap said:

Not to derail the current topic, but I had an interesting lunch yesterday with a couple of friends I hadn’t seen in a while. They both went to UNC and are huge Tarheel fans. So of course the topic came up of coaches. 

One thing we discussed was keeping things within the “family”. They both are really excited for Davis. I asked them does it bother them that no other elite school would have hired him as their head coach (something I heard a lot from IU fans about Woodson) and they just shrugged that off. they wanted a UNC guy. Period.

I’m not saying they are right. But it’s interesting how they didn’t want UNC to go after some established coach or some hot young gun (although both would have been happy with Miller). They wanted a UNC guy.

I know, CSB.

That is interesting. I haven't followed enough to know,  is that the general consensus with their fanbase?

I was the opposite for IU (did not want an IU guy) but the results so far are encouraging and Woodson definitely has the chance to rally everyone together. 

I guess Texas kinda did that same thing since Beard is an alum. Seems to be the new trend. 

12 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Tom Olstrom to Xavier as an assistant? I saw that mentioned on twitter and Peegs. 

Looks like Brian Snow is also going to be on staff at Penn State with Shrewsberry. Kinda weird to me 

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

That is interesting. I haven't followed enough to know,  is that the general consensus with their fanbase?

I was the opposite for IU (did not want an IU guy) but the results so far are encouraging and Woodson definitely has the chance to rally everyone together. 

I guess Texas kinda did that same thing since Beard is an alum. Seems to be the new trend. 

Good question. I haven’t paid a lot of attention to that search because it seemed like Davis’ name (along with Miller) was what everyone talked about from the get go. So it was no surprise when Davis was hired.

19 minutes ago, Papacap said:

I know, CSB.

I’m pretty sure there are a lot of IU fans that feel that way too, they’re just not posting on message boards. I went over to some UNC boards yesterday and they went through the exact same process that we did. At first they thought they were getting Brad Stevens. In fact, he was in town and got a tour of the Smith Center. Some were pushing really hard for Oates. When Hubert Davis was announced, some were happy and others wanted the AD fired immediately. 

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I’m pretty sure there are a lot of IU fans that feel that way too, they’re just not posting on message boards. I went over to some UNC boards yesterday and they went through the exact same process that we did. At first they thought they were getting Brad Stevens. In fact, he was in town and got a tour of the Smith Center. Some were pushing really hard for Oates. When Hubert Davis was announced, some were happy and others wanted the AD fired immediately. 

Interesting. In the end, it’ll be results that matter. Just funny how we both had an opening an ended up with the school family.

Just now, Chris007 said:

What would he do? I wouldn't want that dude anywhere close to my program but that's me. 

will be interesting to see his reaction when they play IU next year and he finds out Archie is no longer the coach. 

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

interesting. What type of position?

Sounds like some sort of recruiting coordinator role but that’s just what I’ve read I’m not sure if it’s 100% accurate