Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Do I speed? Not any more. I used to, but I found out that if I don't, I still get where I am going.

The difference between 5 MPH over the limit and 120MPH is to allow for calibration issues with your speedometer... I know that to the speeder it's a free pass, but that was never the intent.

So you never do 40 in a 35?  Never 50 in a 45.  Never get yourself up to 30 in a 25?  We all drive everyday and people who do the speed limit are a rare breed.  

If the 5 to 10 over is to allow for calibration, then think of things the same way here.  This is especially going to be true when NIL hits.  It will be completely legal to funnel money to kids at that point.  That is when I hope Indiana goes full dark side.

If Andy Mohr wants to drop 5* recruit $500k to make commercials, more power to him.  If our billionaires donors buy 100,000 jerseys at $20 a piece so that Leal and Galloway (for example) can get a piece of that $2,000,000 while on campus...have at it.  NIL is going to be the wild west.  Everybody is going to be getting paid.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

In college at IU I had to take one - 1 - mathematics class for my major. I took Finite Mathematics because it had the word “finite” in it. 
This has nothing to do with recruiting or basketball, but you made me remember it lol. :)

HA! I had to take that course also. I was in a business curriculum and never in all my years in business (now retired) did that course ever come into play. Didn't need a course to tell me if I had eight black marbles and seven white marbles in a hat, the chances of pulling out a black marble was greater than pulling out a white marble. Just goofy that it was required.

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Do you speed?  There is a bunch of space between going 5 to 10 over the speed limit and doing 120 on the freeway drunk and high.  One of those things the cops don't even blink.  The other lands you in jail.  I want to do 5 to 10 over.

So you think that KU or UK or Duke is just doing 5 to 10 over the limit.  I think those guys are going 120 on the free way

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If Andy Mohr wants to drop 5* recruit $500k to make commercials, more power to him. 

Especially if they get to appear with McKinzie Roth!

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Interesting he hasn’t been hired yet. 

Maybe he’s 8th on the list. Similar like CTC at Georgia 

He's clearly a backup plan which gives me hope that's SD's guy is still in play

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well maybe the NCAA didn't do anything to KU or Arizona but the implications are hurting both teams recruiting.  Neither of those programs talent level is not even close to what it was just 3 years ago.

They’re both still doing better than IU! So is Louisville, UNC, UK, MSU, Duke and many others. If rules aren’t enforced, and clearly they’re not - you either take the moral high ground and scramble to bring in a 4 or 5 star every once in a while..your results remain midling to average exacerbating the problem of lack of appeal - or you figure what it takes to win without completely being egregious (ie. Bill Self/Will Wade style).

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Do I speed? Not any more. I used to, but I found out that if I don't, I still get where I am going.

The difference between 5 MPH over the limit and 120MPH is to allow for calibration issues with your speedometer... I know that to the speeder it's a free pass, but that was never the intent.

You’re one of those that keep traffic backed up. Damn slow drivers. :103:

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So you never do 40 in a 35?  Never 50 in a 45.  Never get yourself up to 30 in a 25?  We all drive everyday and people who do the speed limit are a rare breed.  

If the 5 to 10 over is to allow for calibration, then think of things the same way here.  This is especially going to be true when NIL hits.  It will be completely legal to funnel money to kids at that point.  That is when I hope Indiana goes full dark side.

If Andy Mohr wants to drop 5* recruit $500k to make commercials, more power to him.  If our billionaires donors buy 100,000 jerseys at $20 a piece so that Leal and Galloway (for example) can get a piece of that $2,000,000 while on campus...have at it.  NIL is going to be the wild west.  Everybody is going to be getting paid.

Mu son works for Andy Mohr so I will see if he is planning on doing this LOL!  Also I have seen where the NCAA is trying to put a limit on what the kids can earn or what they can earn the money form.  I don't think they will be ab le to make $500,000 for a commercial.  I think it will be more of doing voice overs for a radio show or having a social media site or a YouTube page.

10 minutes ago, T White said:

I see a lot of people say this, but they never say WHAT else happened. 

sorry but that's wrong, it's been said numerous times on several message boards:

Drew (not just his assistants) got the program cited by the NCAA for "failure to monitor" (a la Kelvin Sampson) and the school suspended Drew from coaching for several games. Also, the NCAA found that Drew's program violated rules prohibiting having "talent scouts" at its basketball clinics.

We can debate all day and all night how egregious or innocuous Drew's behavior was back then, but none of that debate really matters. The only  thing that matters is, how would Dolson and the BOT feel about Drew's history, especially after the Sampson debacle?

Maybe they feel that disqualifies Drew from consideration; maybe they think it's no big deal. I don't pretend to know, but what I do know is 1) what Drew actually did and 2) how it involved more than just Morefield's interactions with Perea.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rather fail with integrity than pass by cheating.  Also why not just do your job and study for the test instead of taking the easy way out.

Agreed with the above.

It's called character. If it's ok to cheat in one aspect of your life-say as a coach or player to "get what you want" that to me makes it awful damn easy to do it in other aspects-  to a girlfriend, a wife, etc.  Though RMK had character flaws, the fact that he abhorred cheating and held kids to higher standards showed he was a teacher first. He cared about the kid's future. I was watching his Hall of Fame acceptance speech last night and he said the thing that made him proudest as a coach was the kind of people his former players-many in leadership roles- turned out to be. As a teacher, that's what you want.  Call me naive, old-fashioned, whatever.

Many fans IMO are most concerned with "bragging rights"- our school is better than your school, etc. I have been a fan since the early 80's and like many on here, I long for a return to glory. And perhaps, Crean operated in the gray area; but to my knowledge that has never come out. For me,  if IU has to "play the game" to be like Kentucky; then I will find something else to do with my winter afternoons/evenings.

For the glory...

11 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Can we just hire Beilein already?

Has he been linked to any other job?  If not, then why not wait while you try to land a younger guy who will have the success he had before leaving Michigan