Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

I thought it was a joke. I can't believe no one in the room bursted out in laughter. How do you watch that and not?

That said.....they did win the game so I guess the horses ran out of the gate. 

Yeah I really don’t see the problem with that. It’s cheesy but he’s just enjoying himself. He’s not snorting Diet Coke and pulling his pants up to his nipples like Crean. 

6 minutes ago, Elroy said:

IMO, Drew, Enfield, and Altman are probably non-starters.

IU Prez McRobbie has to sign off on the hire - and he's still there until June 30th. He was furious about the Sampson fiasco and said that Sampson should never have been hired.

In 2012 the NCAA placed on probation for three years. It was found that Drew and WBC Kim Mulkey had made 1,256 rule-breaking calls (out of more than 900,000). It was considered a "major" violation - even though the NCAA changed the rule later the same year. This in addition to the Hanner Perea situation.

Enfield and USC are still under investigation as part of the widespread fraud and bribery investigation that has been ongoing for several years. One of his assistants has been prosecuted and convicted.

Altman has been hounded by controversy because of his handling of two different incidents where his players were investigated on rape charges - one of whom had been recruited as a transfer despite having been accused of sexual assault at his prior school. None of the players were convicted but many, including national publications, demanded his firing for the way he handled those situations.

It seems unlikely that McRobbie would sign off on the proposed hiring of any of these three coaches with those clouds in their background.

Welcome. Some GD levity in this thread :)

I want to hire a coach that has an offense that is fun to watch and wins games. I would assume that it makes it much easier to recruit as well. Nothing wrong with Virginia, Wisconsin , Texas Tech, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Moye > Boozer said:

Random question on what I expect to be a slow Indiana news day ........

I'm Alford indifferent. I don't think he's ever done anything to earn the job (though I don't think his UCLA run was terrible), but I wouldn't stop watching Indiana basketball if he got hired. 

But say he did get hired with the stipulation that he had to run an Oats or Muss style of play. Would the haters still hate? Certainly okay if "yes" just curious. 

Yes, absolutely we still would.

The Alford "haters" contingent (of which I am proudly a member) oppose him for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball. I don't care if his style is fast Oats style or slow Bennett style, I don't care if it's modern NBA style or a literal peach basket, I will never, ever in a million years accept Alford as coach of IU. 

In fact, part of the reason I experience such visceral revulsion at all the "IU Guy" talk is that I know that for a lot of the Facebook grandpa type fans, "IU Guy" is code for "Alford."

#NeverAlford

4 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Off topic...but does anyone find it odd that Archie Miller hasn't released a statement yet? Pretty typical to release something, thanking the university, disappointed it didn't work, looking forward to find a new job to dive into and excited about the future. 

Are we sure he's even still alive? I understand being mad, but radio silent with other coach jobs seems like an odd strategy when hoping to land another gig. 

No, not really.   He was fired.  

So, IU and Archie Miller may still be working on the exit agreement.  So during the interim, there may be a request to not talk.

Finally, if I remember correctly, RMK gave that KMA speech in Dun Meadow.  And T Crean gave a kind of parting shot.   

Maybe he really doesn't have a lot to say about the situation.  Maybe he shouldn't say a lot.  Like the baggage he was handed at first.  (ie. Do not send any players packing because of the grades issue.) Focus on inside state of Indiana first issue. Team chemistry problems that were difficult to handle because of the aforementioned stuff. 

He was paid very well to overcome all that.  And in the end the fans yelled fire Archie.

Should he send a PR statement saying thanks IU for firing me after backing me into a corner and I really enjoyed the bs?   Or should he blow smoke and say thanks for the memories and the great times and wonderful players, their parents and all the fantastic fans!  Its a great university and wish them the best! 

17 minutes ago, Elroy said:

IMO, Drew, Enfield, and Altman are probably non-starters.

IU Prez McRobbie has to sign off on the hire - and he's still there until June 30th. He was furious about the Sampson fiasco and said that Sampson should never have been hired.

In 2012 the NCAA placed Baylor on probation for three years. It was found that Drew and WBC Kim Mulkey had made 1,256 rule-breaking calls (out of more than 900,000). It was considered a "major" violation - even though the NCAA changed the rule later the same year. This in addition to the Hanner Perea situation.

Enfield and USC are still under investigation as part of the widespread fraud and bribery investigation that has been ongoing for several years. One of his assistants has been prosecuted and convicted.

Altman has been hounded by controversy because of his handling of two different incidents where his players were investigated on rape charges - one of whom had been recruited as a transfer despite having been accused of sexual assault at his prior school. None of the players were convicted but many, including national publications, demanded his firing for the way he handled those situations.

It seems unlikely that McRobbie would sign off on the proposed hiring of any of these three coaches with those clouds in their background.

Ewwwwwww...didn't know that about Enfield.

But...what if the opposite style also wins big? Like, Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, Brad Stevens big.

What if I told you of the 16 teams remaining, 5 play in the top 140 ^tempo? 
I don't dislike Oats (4 pt. line is kinda cool?) or Musselman. Musselman's got some..."quirks" but I would absolutely take them both. But this wave of up-tempo/sexy or whatever isn't the only way to win basketball games and I don't understand why people are stuck on that. 
I posted this last night but will repost again...you guys seem to have some of these guys on your current CBB Mt. Rushmore, unless I'm missing something.

AdjO: 28  AdjD: 3   AdjT: 11-    Overall (8)---------Alabama/ Oats

AdjO: 18  AdjD: 34  AdjT: 357- Overall (16)-------Virginia/Bennett

AdjO: 35  AdjD: 2    AdjT: 324- Overall (9)----------Loyola/Moser

AdjO: 6   AdjD: 72   AdjT: 332- Overall (11)--------Villanova/Wright

AdjO: 49  AdjD: 7   AdjT: 286- Overall (12)----------Arkansas/Musselman

AdjO: 37  AdjD: 10 AdjT: 17-  Overall (15)----------'10 Butler/Golden Boy

I believe this is a case of recency bias for some. After watching a slow tempo that achieved little to no positive results the last 4 years people are jaded toward that tempo. Short memory spans for sure though as everyone also hated Crean's style of play. I couldn't care less about tempo or any other stat as long as it produces wins consistently

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You want to talk about hiring a guy based on a couple tournament runs....that guy's record is pedestrian as hell.  I suppose he could have just taken awhile to get going, but that is another Archie Miller type of hire IMO.

From an earlier article, if Moser makes the final 4, he'll be one of 3 mid major coaches to do 2 final 4s within 4 years.  The other two -- Tarkanian and the golden boy himself, Stevens.  That's pretty good company (and doesn't mean he should be IUs coach).  

31 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

As bad as Archie was at IU, he won 54% of his games here. Moser has only won 55% in his career. I don’t even think Moser is a ‘bad’ coach. I just have absolutely zero interest in another mid major coach after the Archie Miller disaster. 

Yeah, Archie Miller's lack of winning games at Indiana was not up to standards.  It really is bad to not win against Purdue, to not compete at the highest levels in the B1G year in and year out.   And not getting into the NCAAT and making decent wins post season really is not satisfactory. 

Just wonder why Archie Miller didn't have the right stuff to provide good PG backup, shooters, etc.  It was clear to me he had gotten behind the curve on recruiting and had lost the team.    Loved him at Dayton.  Not so much after his first year at IU. Those injuries and locker room issues plus the baggage of the TC era etc. were too much.

But, he and the team had some positives.  He left the opportunity for improvement in better shape for the coming coach than he had.  Grades are not an issue. The players are upstanding citizens. the future head coach will not be saddled with having to reopen the connection to the Indiana high schools.  That inside/out recruiting emphasis may just be a little more flexible in the future.   The underclass members are good basketball players and I love that.  And Indiana is a clean program. 

I

Edited by Dave from Dayton

44 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

Off topic...but does anyone find it odd that Archie Miller hasn't released a statement yet? Pretty typical to release something, thanking the university, disappointed it didn't work, looking forward to find a new job to dive into and excited about the future. 

Are we sure he's even still alive? I understand being mad, but radio silent with other coaching jobs available seems like an odd strategy when hoping to land another gig. 

I thought the same. I remember Crean doing several interviews including one with Dakich. I also remember him showing up to a girls game AFTER he was fired.  But I think it's more of a personality thing. That doesn't seem to be Archie's style. 

4 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Anyone else starting to warm up to Andy Enfield assuming the other top candidates all say no?  Valedictorian of his HS class.  Graduated from John Hopkins.  Spent 5 years as an NBA assistant and shooting coach to the Celtics and Bucks.  Was an assistant under Hamilton at FSU for 5 years. Took FL Gulf Coast to the Sweet 16. USC is still playing and gets better each year.  Runs a high tempo and fun to watch offense that should appeal to recruits.  Is only 51 so he could potentially be here 20 years.

Again, definitely not my top choice but would be light years better than Mike Woodson or Cheaney.  Thoughts?

And there's a better than good chance that Michael Lewis comes along with him.

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Anyone else starting to warm up to Andy Enfield assuming the other top candidates all say no?  Valedictorian of his HS class.  Graduated from John Hopkins.  Spent 5 years as an NBA assistant and shooting coach to the Celtics and Bucks.  Was an assistant under Hamilton at FSU for 5 years. Took FL Gulf Coast to the Sweet 16. USC is still playing and gets better each year.  Runs a high tempo and fun to watch offense that should appeal to recruits.  Is only 51 so he could potentially be here 20 years.

Again, definitely not my top choice but would be light years better than Mike Woodson or Cheaney.  Thoughts?

I honestly don't think IU would go near that situation

51 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

Welcome. Some GD levity in this thread :)

Why was McRobbie upset at the Sampson hiring? Herbert was the president and signed off on it. What was McRobbie's role in that?

With this understanding that puts Alford off-limits too right?

15 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

From an earlier article, if Moser makes the final 4, he'll be one of 3 mid major coaches to do 2 final 4s within 4 years.  The other two -- Tarkanian and the golden boy himself, Stevens.  That's pretty good company (and doesn't mean he should be IUs coach).  

Right... But Stevens was in his 3rd and 4th year of coaching. That second team was an 8 seed but the first one was a 5 seed out of the Horizon with a lottery pick and they were a very very good team. 

Tark by his 10th season, UNLV wasn't an Independent anymore and was in the PCAA. From then there was a 9 year stretch where UNLV was never lower than a 5 seed and a 1 seed 3 times. Went to 3 Final Fours and won a title. 

Moser is neither of them and doesn't belong in the same conversation.