Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

18 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

One of my worries with him is that his offense really seems to rely on an extremely skilled big man. It works with Krutwig but I don’t think it’s that easy finding someone that skilled in college every year.

In their final four run, Loyola relied mostly on the guards. 

2 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

Pass on Moser. Definitely not what Dolson said he was looking for. I'd take Altman over him. 

What'd Dolson say to the media he was looking for? And what are you looking for? What was your ideal list of candidates we have individual threads for on here?

14 minutes ago, Zachetology said:

In their final four run, Loyola relied mostly on the guards. 

That’s true. Their offense wasn’t great that year though. Only 63 in efficiency compared to 35 right now. I think this team is better than that one. I remember the players from that 2018 team but i don’t remember their play style specifically. 

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Why? 

His record is not very impressive. One run to the final four and 2 wins in the tourney this year. I just feel like there are at least 6-8 coaches I think we can get that are better. He's not a bad coach but I'm going for that home run instead of a seeing eye single. I'm not sure how well he'll be able to recruit top talent. 

13 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

What'd Dolson say to the media he was looking for? And what are you looking for? What was your ideal list of candidates we have individual threads for on here?

Oats style is exactly what he said he wanted. I just hope we have the funds for the buyout and salary. He is exactly what we need to bring IU back to being sexy. 

3 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

Oats style is exactly what he said he wanted. I just hope we have the funds for the buyout and salary. He is exactly what we need to bring IU back to being sexy. 

Gotcha. Forget the money... So you mean up-tempo/"sexy" is what you're looking for? And what was your list?

6 minutes ago, Iubravos said:

His record is not very impressive. One run to the final four and 2 wins in the tourney this year. I just feel like there are at least 6-8 coaches I think we can get that are better. He's not a bad coach but I'm going for that home run instead of a seeing eye single. I'm not sure how well he'll be able to recruit top talent. 

If he made it to the final four again you consider his resume impressive?

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

If he made it to the final four again you consider his resume impressive?

I wouldn’t. Two final fours in the past four years is great, but those are the only two tournaments he’s made in 17 years as a head coach. I get that making the tournament in a one bid league is a lot different from making it at IU, but he was nowhere close for his first 13 years as a coach. We all differ in how much risk we’re willing to take, but I wouldn’t want to hand the program over to him.

What exactly is the point of looking at his pre Saint Louis assistant record? He's clearly a different coach than he was 15 years ago. People learn and develop. He built Loyola (although slowly) from a complete cellar dweller to a legitimate program. 

22 minutes ago, goonaha said:

What exactly is the point of looking at his pre Saint Louis assistant record? He's clearly a different coach than he was 15 years ago. People learn and develop. He built Loyola (although slowly) from a complete cellar dweller to a legitimate program. 

Don’t really get the point of the pre and post St. Louis distinction, tbh. It’s not like he left and lit it up right away. He left St. Louis and posted six consecutive losing conference seasons at Loyola.

But if we want to make that distinction, since leaving St. Louis he’s won 58% of his games and 50% of his conference games. He made two tournaments in ten seasons. That’s not good enough for me. Archie won 69% of his games and 67% of his conference games at Dayton. Crean won 66% of his games and 62% of his conference games at Marquette. Moser has had two great seasons during a 17 year career. I’m not in favor of IU risking the fate of the program on those results. If this hire flops we’re Nebraska football moving forward.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Don’t really get the point of the pre and post St. Louis distinction, tbh. It’s not like he left and lit it up right away. He left St. Louis and posted six consecutive losing conference seasons at Loyola.

But if we want to make that distinction, since leaving St. Louis he’s won 58% of his games and 50% of his conference games. That’s not good enough for me. Archie won 69% of his games and 67% of his conference games at Dayton. Crean won 66% of his games and 62% of his conference games at Marquette. Moser has had two great seasons during a 17 year career. I’m not in favor of IU risking the fate of the program on those results. If this hire flops we’re Nebraska football moving forward.

Loyola is a far tougher and worse job than Dayton or Marquette, which have both had pretty consistent success over a wide range of coaches, and also dedicate a considerable amount of resources to basketball.

People said the same thing about if Archie fails, we're done, we're Nebraska football, etc. That's just not true. You can always make another hire. It just takes one to turn it around.

18 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Loyola is a far tougher and worse job than Dayton or Marquette, which have both had pretty consistent success over a wide range of coaches, and also dedicate a considerable amount of resources to basketball.

People said the same thing about if Archie fails, we're done, we're Nebraska football, etc. That's just not true. You can always make another hire. It just takes one to turn it around.

It’s a tougher job certainly, but its what we have to work with. We’ve seen so many mid major guys string together a few years of success, get hired at a P5 school, and then flameout. That’s exactly what happened with our last coach. I don’t want to try another mid major guy this time around.

We’ve made 4 of the last 13 NCAA tournaments, and we’d be hiring a guy who has made even fewer than us during that span to come fix things. Depending on who you ask, some would say we already are Nebraska football. If Porter Moser is the best we can do then I can’t say I disagree with them. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I wouldn’t. Two final fours in the past four years is great, but those are the only two tournaments he’s made in 17 years as a head coach. I get that making the tournament in a one bid league is a lot different from making it at IU, but he was nowhere close for his first 13 years as a coach. We all differ in how much risk we’re willing to take, but I wouldn’t want to hand the program over to him.

Bingo!!!

5 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

Gotcha. Forget the money... So you mean up-tempo/"sexy" is what you're looking for? And what was your list?

And the players will love to play his style of bball. Young,  energetic, exciting style of play that will be exciting and reunite the fan base. He will recruit big time at IU. Him and a notch below is Muss IMO. I would love either one but if we can get Oats, then watch out. Big things will be coming to IU. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Krutwig is a big factor for him right now.  Special unicorn of a player.  Unfortunately won't be able to see if they have the same success without him before our hire.