Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

This is a message board so I am just talking about candidates...I still find it hard to believe that Indiana bought Archie out for that price for a lateral move (to be fair, I'll put Moser a notch above Arch). I just don't buy it. IF, again this is just a discussion, IU hires a Moser, a Woodson, or a Cheaney, spare me with the "we want to annually contend in the B1G and the NCAA" that Glass and Dolson have said in the past. If you do, you don't hire these guys. Period. And outside of Moser, these other IU guys would've been hired by now. 

At least this hire will tell us how seriously our administration takes the basketball program. Hiring one of those guys would send a clear signal to IU nation that they don't care about competing for conference and national titles. You don't hire Calbert Cheaney or Mike Woodson to be your head coach if you do. That's their choice, but I would adjust my fandom accordingly. I'd watch a game here and there, but there would be no point in agonizing over a program that doesn't care about winning. 

1 minute ago, goonaha said:

Wouldn't Beard be a "hot name" too considering he hasn't replicated his success from the national championship run yet?

To be fair, there has only been one tournament since that run. I agree he has a small sample size but I like his sample size. He upset Purdue at Little Rock in 2016. He took Tech out of nowhere in 2018 to the Elite 8. National Championship in 2019. Last year probably would have won a game in the tournament. This year they made the second round and lost to Arkansas but could have gone either way. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

This is a message board so I am just talking about candidates...I still find it hard to believe that Indiana bought Archie out for that price for a lateral move (to be fair, I'll put Moser a notch above Arch). I just don't buy it. IF, again this is just a discussion, IU hires a Moser, a Woodson, or a Cheaney, spare me with the "we want to annually contend in the B1G and the NCAA" that Glass and Dolson have said in the past. If you do, you don't hire these guys. Period. And outside of Moser, these other IU guys would've been hired by now. 

IDK. Sometimes risks work out.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, goonaha said:

Wouldn't Beard be a "hot name" too considering he hasn't replicated his success from the national championship run yet?

His last four seasons are the top four seasons Texas Tech has ever had in the KenPom era. 

Consider me completely oblivious to any skeletons being in Beard’s closet. I refuse to give Goodman a click. Anyone know what this might be referring to?

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Apparently that skeleton in his closet is college coaching success and we're not interested in anyone who has that in their past. 

None of us know anything about these caches and what so let the people who are doing the interviewing do their jobs.  Also why believe every little thing that is being reported on the internet.

Just now, madmax said:

Consider me completely oblivious to any skeletons being in Beard’s closet. I refuse to give Goodman a click. Anyone know what this might be referring to?

He doesn't know specifics. He actually didn't even say that was why IU hadn't contacted him.

He just said when UCLA was searching for a coach he asked someone in their AD why they hadn't gone after beard and he was told because of skeletons in his closet. So he assumes that is why IU hasn't contacted him either

Just now, IUc2016 said:

They also talk about how awesome Nate Oats would be at Indiana with his style and the shooters in Indiana. 

Goodman felt if IU had a shot the buyout wouldn't be an issue. 

Dang I might need to listen later. 

All things aside the discussion is awesome. I'm on spring break so I love talking about IU hoops with everyone. A Mike Woodson, Calbert Cheaney, and maybe Porter Moser like hire would've made sense in 2000 when the program was in much better shape. It's not right now. They have to get this right. I just don't think you gamble on an unknown or another "hot name". They haven't made the tournament since 2016 (FWIW I was President of my college fraternity and just turned 21 in 2016. I am now married and about to have a baby in a month). They've lost 9 in a row to Purdue. They have zero momentum. 

1 hour ago, mdiu28 said:

If Calbert....ugh. 

This is a "hey it's worked for Michigan, it'll work for us too" move (if true). 

Yikes. 

If this is the case, we're doomed... how can he get kids to come to Bloomington?  He can't even get his wife to live there.

25 minutes ago, goiubb2000 said:

Would Duke hire Christian Laetner?

I bet that the next coach at Duke is a former Duke player and assistant coach.  Also Laetner has never been in coaching so that is not a good example

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

and sometimes they don't *insert Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing gif*

Point is, there is no silver bullet right now. Stevens ain't coming unless Boston wants to drop him. There are holes in almost every candidates resume below.

Mike Woodson 4/1
Thad Matta 9/2
Chris Beard 5/1
Dane Fife 6/1
John Beilein 6/1
Porter Moser 15/2
Eric Musselman 8/1
Dana Altman 9/1
Scott Drew 10/1
Joe Pasternack 12/1
Chris Mack 14/1
Mick Cronin 14/1
Andy Enfield 16/1
Mike Young 16/1
Bobby Hurley 25/1
Calbert Cheaney 33/1
Billy Donovan 50/1

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

He took way more risks... for every Vic or Will he would drag in 3 or 4 Tijan Jobes, Grant Gelons, Jeremiah Aprils, Peter Jurkins, Bawa Munirus, etc...

Wouldn't have had to do that if it weren't for Trey Lyles, Devon Davis, Emmit Holt, Luke Fischer, Hanner Perea, Jeremy Hollowell all not working out.