Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What did our good relationship with Indy Elite get us over the last four years? Because we’ve had a whole host of Indiana AAU team players on our roster and it got us where we are today. Rob Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Armaan Franklin, Khristian Lander, Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal, and TJD all played Indiana AAU ball. And we know how well that worked out for us. 

IU is too reliant on Indiana recruits. We’re never going to “lock down” the state. But we don’t need to. What we need is someone who can recruit nationally. Scott Drew can do that, and he’s done it at a school without IU’s history, facilities, or fan support. 

The guys they’ve gotten can play. Archie didn’t develop them once they got to college. Remember what happened though when Crean was coaching and everyone was upset when he didn’t get Guy, Wilkes, Walker, and others. You have to keep the programs in your corner or else you will miss on the guys that you need to get. 

14 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t. We don’t even know that they care as much as you. It was 10 years ago. 

I would also say that it hasn’t hurt him. He has recruited well and developed his players well. One AAU program shouldn’t impact a hire nor one coaches success.

Archie tried to only recruit Indiana kids and it didn’t pan out for him. Recruiting is and should be a global business. Coaches that have proven to be able to pull kids from all over, Canada, Germany, California, Texas, Jamaica etc are the ones finding consistent success

We’ll go ask Crean what happens when you make the Indiana AAU and High School coaches upset. It doesn’t work out well. You have to have a mix of in state and out of state or international kids. You can’t rely on one or the other. If you do then you’re screwed. 

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

The guys they’ve gotten can play. Archie didn’t develop them once they got to college. Remember what happened though when Crean was coaching and everyone was upset when he didn’t get Guy, Wilkes, Walker, and others. You have to keep the programs in your corner or else you will miss on the guys that you need to get. 

Archie missed on Brooks, Faust, Kaufman, etc. Indiana produces a handful of elite recruits every year, and we’re competing with the rest of the country for them. We’re never going to be able to get all of them. Our next coach needs to be able to recruit across the world. The past four years we recruited almost entirely in the Midwest. 

5 minutes ago, thehelgo said:

if stevens is out, count me in the Beard camp. i watch a lot of Big 12 hoops and i love his style.

His buyout drops 500K on April1st.

Imagine the bipolar nature of BTB's if Beard were announced on April Fools Day.

11 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Old Fart? How old are you? I'm pretty sure I'm older than you at 55. If you are old, I'm ancient. emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You could be my son.  Does your mother have .........!      I'm looking at 72 in my rear view mirror.

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie missed on Brooks, Faust, Kaufman, etc. Indiana produces a handful of elite recruits every year, and we’re competing with the rest of the country for them. We’re never going to be able to get all of them. Our next coach needs to be able to recruit across the world. The past four years we recruited almost entirely in the Midwest. 

You have to get both. If you alienate the in state coaches then it won’t work out well. At the end Crean was one extreme. Archie was pretty close to the other extreme. That said Crean was a much better at talent development than Archie.

7 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

We’ll go ask Crean what happens when you make the Indiana AAU and High School coaches upset. It doesn’t work out well. You have to have a mix of in state and out of state or international kids. You can’t rely on one or the other. If you do then you’re screwed. 

What happens is you start recruiting kids from other states. Only 3 of our top 10 minute getters on the 2016 conference championship team were from Indiana. Blackmon got injured before the conference season that year, so only 2 of the 9 guys who were in the conference rotation were from Indiana. 

18 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

For those that think we're going to take another run at Stevens...if we strike out on all the top tier candidates (Oats, Beard, etc.), does the prospect of a Woodson-type hire motivate a donor to step up for another $2-3 million per year to go after Stevens again? Presumably, there would be a $$ value that would be too high for Brad to turn down.

The real conspiracy theory would be that Dolson is floating Woodson, etc., to scare the donor base into ponying up more for Stevens.

Something I have been considering is that if during the first go around, Dolson offers Stevens, Stevens considers and is maybe on track to agreeing to terms, but after talking to the Celtics/Ainge, says no but doesn't completely shut the door on a counter offer

In this case, Dolson's play could be to interview other candidates and get close to offering, then reach back out to Stevens with a counter offer but say that he has 48 hrs to make a decision or IU is going with this other guy. 

This puts IU in a better bargaining position with Stevens, and rather than spend 2 weeks going back and forth with Stevens as the sole candidate, IU doesn't have to start at square one if Stevens still says no

Edited by PB1230

My "I would be happy list" has stayed relatively consistent this entire search. 

Brad

Drew/Beard/Musselman (I did move him up a bit after watching his teams play more)

Oats (I didn't list him initially because with his buyout I don't think IU would pony up that much after buying out Archie)

Any of these hires would have me excited for IU hoops.

34 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

"Hi Scott, this is Indiana Elite calling, nice hire you made there in Drew.  So just letting you know that I will be letting every single player that is in my program know what this guy did to Perea and what kind of snake he is.  Additionally, I will do everything in my power to keep him away from my kids.  He has shown me in the past that he doesn't have their best interests at heart."

That is a bit over the top but you better believe that there is a grudge there and having Indiana Elite steering the best players from this state to another program would make this job more difficult then it should be.  Look what happened to Crean when he lost the support of the Indiana coaches.  The recruiting dried up.

Now we can build a roster off of guys outside of Indiana, but that is much, much more difficult then having a home base to fall back on.

"Hi Indiana Elite.  This is Scott.  When we are winning championships again we won't be recruiting anyone from Indiana Elite.  We'll make it known that if a player wants to play for the reining Big10 and NCAA champions, they should find another AAU program."  

Bottom line -- winning cures everything.  

3 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Something I have been considering is that if during the first go around, Dolson offers Stevens, Stevens considers and is maybe on track to agreeing to terms, but after talking to the Celtics/Ainge, says no but doesn't completely shut the door on a counter offer

In this case, Dolson's play could be to interview other candidates and get close to offering, then reach back out to Stevens with a counter offer but say that he has 48 hrs to make a decision or IU is going with this other guy. 

This puts IU in a better bargaining position with Stevens, and rather than spend 2 weeks going back and forth with Stevens as the sole candidate, IU doesn't have to start at square one if Stevens still says no

Or he could just put a horse head in Danny Ainge's sheets.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What if we never stopped going after Stevens. What if the press conference by Brad was just a diffusion to get people to quit talking about it. What if we always knew it was him, but we knew we had to wait till this weekend the whole time? Lot's of what-ifs but then again He's just made up like Santa, Easter bunny, and tooth ferry anyway. None of those things are real. 

image.thumb.png.a0ece73c2763ee00e019ba190170c65c.png

Lot's of talk on Twitter of a possible trade that lands Aaron Gordon with the Celtics. Someone from the BtownBanners NBA fan club care to share their opinions on this trade? What would it do for Boston? With the Masshole trend gaining steam again, just wanted to see if this trade improves the Celtics chances of winning, not trying to fan the Stevens flames!

2 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Lot's of talk on Twitter of a possible trade that lands Aaron Gordon with the Celtics. Someone from the BtownBanners NBA fan club care to share their opinions on this trade? What would it do for Boston? With the Masshole trend gaining steam again, just wanted to see if this trade improves the Celtics chances of winning, not trying to fan the Stevens flames!

It's not happening. The Celtics don't have the assets to complete the trade. The Celtics have two good players, Tatum and Brown. Everyone else on that roster is SORRY! The Magic want a big package for Gordon, the Celtics won't be able to meet those needs.

The Celtics are just in a really bad spot. They have no money for two more years. Their bench is just really really bad. They having an aging PG with a really bad contract in Kemba Walker. Tatum and Brown will request a trade sooner than later and that will kill the franchise off.

49 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A lot of you have been throwing 'old fart' around lately and I'm willing to let it pass as long as you put it all in small letters.  But you start capitalizing and there will be heck to pay.  

xoxoxo

Classic self hatred.

OF.PNG

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What if we never stopped going after Stevens. What if the press conference by Brad was just a diffusion to get people to quit talking about it. What if we always knew it was him, but we knew we had to wait till this weekend the whole time? Lot's of what-ifs but then again He's just made up like Santa, Easter bunny, and tooth ferry anyway. None of those things are real. 

Your “what if” has secretly been my “what if” ever since that day of Brads (masshole) press conference. That’s why I’ve not said much about any other candidates. Who knows....

The issue with Boston is Ainge will be involved in 50 trade discussions but try to low ball you on every one of them.

is he actually willing to try to make a fair deal? If he is they could acquire Gordon, who’s a solid but not great player. More likely than not he’ll try to steal Gordon and nothing will get done.