Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, BottomLine said:

Wasn't there a major football coach fired a few years ago because he didn't have a degree and lied about it on his employment application?

O'Leary was hired to be head football coach at Notre Dame and then was fired five days later for not having a degree.

Wasn't there a major football coach fired a few years ago because he didn't have a degree and lied about it on his employment application?

Steve Masiello a few years back was supposed to become the USF coach but it turned out he didn't have a degree so the offer was rescinded. I think it's stupid that a college basketball coach would have to teach a class however. It's a waste of everyone's time. 

O'Leary was hired to be head football coach at Notre Dame and then was fired five days later for not having a degree.

For lying about his masters degree after already lying about something previously on his application. That one was a weird situation.

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Steve Masiello a few years back was supposed to become the USF coach but it turned out he didn't have a degree so the offer was rescinded. I think it's stupid that a college basketball coach would have to teach a class however. It's a waste of everyone's time. 

If that's an IU thing I am shocked because it's definitely not a thing at most schools. I'm a young guy so I don't know how far back it goes, but I have never heard of anyone taking a class taught by Tom Allen or Archie Miller while I was there.

It's genuinely a waste of everyone's time.

2 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

I think he actually had a degree but on his resume to Notre Dame he stated he earned 3 letters in football at the U. of New Hampshire when in fact he never played in a single game.

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

Crazy how we are paying $10 million dollars for Archie to vacation for a year while coaches *potentially* turn us down and we’re hiring someone with zero head coaching experience. 

Can't really say that yet... they haven't hired anyone... can't believe anyone wanted Archie to stay for another minute longer... and he will get a job before the full $10M is paid out, so just stop with that crap already...

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Jason Kidd, Ty Lue, Jerry Stackhouse, Magic Johnson off the top of my head. I guess none of them are qualified though because they didn't take classes from someone who's never coached a day for a major sports league in their lives...

All coached on the professional level.  We are talking college coaches.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think he actually had a degree but on his resume to Notre Dame he stated he earned 3 letters in football at the U. of New Hampshire when in fact he never played in a single game.

Yeah he lied about that and offered to resign but they kept him on staff. THEN it was revealed he lied about getting a masters degree from a school that didn't exist. He was fired after that.

Just now, BottomLine said:

All coached on the professional level.  We are talking college coaches.

Why is the qualification to coach a college basketball team different to coach an NBA team?

For the record, Jerry Stackhouse is a college head coach right now.... At Vanderbilt of all schools.

2 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Rabjohns didn't say much that we didn't already know. One interesting tidbit was some schools are afraid of getting Chris Beard because Texas may want him. Says Texas would throw money at him. That being said, even he the "IU insider" said he has zero clue on what is going on. So take whatever anyone says with a grain of salt. I truly think nobody knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

Yeah, the quote of the day was that "Texas poops money"... implying that there would be virtually no limit to what they would do to get him... and Texas is reported to be his "dream job"...

On the other hand, Stevens' dream job (at one time) was IU... and we were unable to get him in 2017 and in 2021... so maybe Beard comes to IU and finds true happiness and a long, successful tenure here... so much so that he forgets his "dream job" the same way BS did.

Just now, Hoosierfan222 said:

Why is the qualification to coach a college basketball team different to coach an NBA team?

For the record, Jerry Stackhouse is a college head coach right now.... At Vanderbilt of all schools.

A quick google search reveals Stackhouse earned his college degree in African American studies after being in the NBA. 

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

A quick google search reveals Stackhouse earned his college degree in African American studies after being in the NBA. 

Fair enough, remove him from the list then I guess. (even though that degree has very little to do with coaching so kind of proving my point of the requirement for a bachelors is absolutely idiotic)

Most people are going to earn their bachelors anyway, but telling a player who's been around great coaches for 20 years and didn't get a degree he can't coach because he didn't get a degree in fashion merchandising (or whatever) is the dumbest most arbitrary metric I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Yeah, the quote of the day was that "Texas poops money"... implying that there would be virtually no limit to what they would do to get him... and Texas is reported to be his "dream job"...

On the other hand, Stevens' dream job (at one time) was IU... and we were unable to get him in 2017 and in 2021... so maybe Beard comes to IU and finds true happiness and a long, successful tenure here... so much so that he forgets his "dream job" the same way BS did.

That's why I say go for it. You never know. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Stackhouse recently completed an executive education program at the Harvard centered on sports business. Turner has a law degree and MBA from Harvard. Stackhouse also graduated from the University of North Carolina, which is where Turner completed his undergraduate degree.Apr 1, 2019