Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not for me.

I’m keeping my expectations very high despite the lackluster options being laid out in front of me.  

Thad Matta was a lucky dodge.  I’m hoping for lucky dodges for Woodson, B-Line, Cheaney, and quite a few others.   

I agree, but I'm still not really sure who the "right" choice is, or who it might be.

I do not think the "big name" guys will be the choice. I just don't. 

After that, I'd love to see us identify the 'budding superstar' candidate. 

I hear Phil Jackson is looking for a new challenge.

PROS: A good amount of head coaching experience; pretty solid results with said experience; solid name recognition; at one time sported a world class mustache (think Magnum P.I., only taller)

CONS: 75 years old; hasn’t spent a single moment — not a day, not an hour, not a minute, not even a second — of his life with any involvement in any capacity in the college game whatsoever: has since replaced world class mustache with a friggin’ soul patch

Still though, regardless what you think of him, seeing that Phil has yet to explicitly state that he has no interest in the job, nor even anything of the sort, the prospects of Phil trying his hand at the college game down in Bloomington — unless/until it’s officially confirmed otherwise — Phil Jackson to IU remains a non-zero chance. Therefore, we should build a Phill Jackson coaching thread.

So, do I hear a “I’m right on top of it Rose” or what?!?

Too soon?

And due to this being only my second ever post around these parts, even though this is probably unnecessary for me to do, but just so there isn’t even a modicum of a chance that someone gets the wrong impression here, I feel compelled to mention.....No I am not serious. Yes, I am totally fu*king around.

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I like Wayne. Your posts have been very good. 

Who do you want, good sir? 

I’m still aiming for the stars for top tier.

a proven winner, less than 60 years old.  

If they go the rebuild mode with another up and comer I’ll battle through it with them bitching and moaning most of the way. 

I’m going to find out soon where I should place my expectations with Indiana basketball.  

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I agree, but I'm still not really sure who the "right" choice is, or who it might be.

I do not think the "big name" guys will be the choice. I just don't. 

After that, I'd love to see us identify the 'budding superstar' candidate. 

Budding superstar is Oats this year.  He looks the part of the next best thing.   

Any other Oats out there?  

Who would kill it in recruiting like Juwan Howard is doing?  

22 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Can we just hire Beilein already?

Seems like he's the choice if all tournament coaches have no interest. 

Similar feelings. I'm glad we made a what seems to have been hard at Brad.  It's time to bring on Beilein.  I like his lein of thinking. He used brooms during practice to simulate the  lenthy Cuse team defense at the big dance in '13. It wouldn't suprise me if the idea of brown garden gloves to focus on catching passes came from John B of which Max B brought from Michigan. I could be wrong as to John being the source of where that came from. I believe the timing may have been about right iirc.

The age concern is understandable, but I think he could have us making a run in the dance in 23 if not 22. Bring on Beilein.

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Feel like this is the first year in a while where there isn’t a hot commodity at a mid  major 

Totally correct. And jobs are going to be popping up quickly over the next few years. MSU, Duke, UNC, etc. Dolson is going to GET IT. Keep the faith, fellas (and ladies).

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight69 said:

Feel like this is the first year in a while where there isn’t a hot commodity at a mid  major 

If you erased Porter Moser's first stint in coaching I think that he probably would be the one. I think he is probably a really good coach that is highly dependent on the right fit(which is why I would not want him at IU).

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My god guys why do you flip out with every little tidbit on a message board.  Also nobody on here or any fan out there has no clue how a coach will do in any situation.  Most people said Archie was a home run and couldn't see a way he would failed.  We have no idea if Beard, Musselman or Oats would do any better here than anyone else.

I wish people would stop saying every name thrown out there would be a disaster.  It would be nice seeing people go in with an open mind instead of going into with a negative outlook.  Could this be some of the reason we might not get certain coaches.

1. People flipping out on message boards is most certainly NOT any part of the reason we might not get certain coaches.
  2. Debating every name out there is kinda what message boards do when passionate fanbases have a coaching search. 
  3. As you said above, having an open mind about candidates is a GREAT idea. Remember, there is at least one between 35 and 45 years old future Hall of Fame coach or assistant coach right now that would love to be our head coach, starting this week.

I'm hoping Dolson will identify him.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Rabby is about to be on the radio with JMV.

Just listened to the last part of JMV interview with Rabby.  First he said Matta and IU talked but nothing beyond that and there were no offer or physical and he said he heard that from a lot of people..  Also he said just because you hear names doesn't mean it is more than just a call to check on things.

1. People flipping out on message boards is most certainly NOT any part of the reason we might not get certain coaches.
  2. Debating every name out there is kinda what message boards do when passionate fanbases have a coaching search. 
  3. Having an open mind about candidates is a GREAT idea. Remember, there is at least one future Hall of Fame coach between 35 and 45 years old that would love to be our head coach, starting this week.
                                                            I'm hoping Dolson will find him.
Nothing wrong with discussing the names being bandied about on social mediaor message boards. I enjoy that.
I laugh at the posts that say/imply Dolson is only looking at those names that have been thrown out there and then saying we are screwed.
No one k ows what is going on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Calbert?  Lol. He's my all time favorite player but no way.  This would be a massive let down.  Like 10% chance he'd be successful here.

Why is that because you have no idea who will work or who won't.  Most thought Archie was a homerun hire and how did that turn out.  It is so tiring seeing people take such a negative outlook even before anything has happened.  I now see why this fan base is the laughing stock of the college basketball world and everyone laughs at us.

1 hour ago, Iubravos said:

Why do people want an IU guy? I don't get it unless you don't want to win.  Get the best coach!!!!!!

Because we know what has worked at IU and what it took to win here.  we have seen what going away from the IU way has done the last 20 years and it has not worked.

Does anyone think the Altman rumor of being interested is remotely based in reality? Full disclosure, I knew very little about him, but after some research that would be a no brainer. He has gotten better and better since he started coaching, and his worst season at Oregon, his first, they still won the CBI. Now say what you will about the CBI, but getting a high major team up for a tournament like that regardless of opponent to me, is a sure sign of a good coach and motivator. His last 8 seasons have been as good as basically any coach in the country. I get we are being ageist now, but he isn't that old, and has some midwestern ties.  Grab a coach like that, and staff it out with some "IU" guys and I think we are really making moves.